• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is the state of LMT MWS-H complete uppers these days?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I want to add a complete MWS-H upper, most likely in 6.5CM. Things seem to have stabilized for supply chains and related costs due to better availability as well so, I'm entering the market again. Inflation still bites but, there is nothing I can do about that!

What are my better options today? Is LEGO'ing an upper together a reasonable way to go or, is a complete ready to shoot upper a better choice?

I am looking for a midweight upper to whack feral hogs at up to 400 yards so, reduced recoil for follow-up shots and reduced rifle weight are considerations. A 17+ pound rifle sucks so I am looking for reasonable trade-offs. I shoot with a can and heavy thermal so, I am thinking a midweight 20" barrel 6.5CM.

I am open to other suggestions but, I think a 6.5CM is as small as I want to go to retain the capability I want on big boars and 20" for overall length considerations. I want to stick in the 1MOA range with normal off the shelf ammunition so, no wildcats or super specialized rounds or expensive rounds (i.e. not looking to shoot cheap imported stuff but, round counts are high so ammo costs are a consideration and tall grass eats spent brass so premium or expensive brass is wasted). Hog counts are as high as ~17 a night so, I do run through ammo pretty fast when the hogs are out.

I shoot dogs and coyotes on my livestock at 200 yards with good success (67 one month) with a KAC SR-15 but, feral hogs with less than a 6.8SPC don't go down reliably so, smaller cartridges than a 6.5CM will be a hard sell for me.

TIA,
Sid

My two(ish) cents. I recently picked up, then sold due to lack of time to use, a FDE 15.3” upper that had zero alignment issues from Titan Defense. Factory barrel shot sub minute with factory GMM 130bergers.

D Wilson did a Proof CF barrel conversion that was equally accurate, just lighter and not as tolerant to longer strings.

Relatively cheap considering, as well as very accurate for a gasser out to 1200m

That being said. I have a Geissle 16” 6ARC that I shoot now instead with a MARS-C. I’ll be sticking with that for everything inside 900m with a gas gun right now.

As the kids used to say, YOLO