• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What kind of precision do you expect from various rifles?

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Where would the line of acceptability be for you in the instances of:
-A light weight hunting rifle (Tikka T3 lite)
-Entry/Mid level tactical rifle (700P/700 5R)
-High end factory (Sako TRG/AI)
-Full custom (GAP/Tac-Ops)

From what I have seen, I expect ~1 MOA or better from a light hunting rifle. ~.5 MOA from a mid level. <.25 MOA from high end factory and custom.

*After load workups

My rifles are all more accurate than I am.

Generally speaking, 1 MOA is as good as I can shoot offhand and still makes for a very dead animal at 300yds which is about as far as I'll shoot so it's more than enough from my hunting rigs (both custom builds capable if considerably better accuracy than is needed). .5 MOA is as good as it gets from me under ideal cknditiins and my precision rig is likely quite a bit better than that in more capable hands. As much as I'd like to I'm just not hitting the ass end of a grasshopper at 600 yds.

Anything .5 MOA or better is wasted in me but it's fair to expect that and then some from a high end custom precision rifle. Guarantees of .25 MOA are out there but I question whether the groups are staistically significant.

YMMV.

I think the AI and SAKO are every bit as accurate and most of the custom rifles out there. And with the Battle Proven Track Records I bet it's even more reliable as well. The Remington 700s are also Battle Proven in their own right, but when to get to some of the tight tolerances on the High End Custom Guns you tend to lose some of that reliability from the old War Horse.

A TRG22 can do 1/3moa from a bipod. We run a 100m prone competition here bipod, no rear support other than shoulder/hand) and the top 5-10 shoot 1/2moa or better, winners doe 1/3moa. Custom rigs like BAT using 6PPC, 6BR etc.

Had a surgeon action with krieger that did the same 1/3moa groups. Shooter is the most important factor due to the support. From a rest/bag the customs will do 1/4moa or better, but are BR class rifles.

Quite a bit comes down to the smith as well; I've seen BATs that don't do better than 1/2moa due to a mediocre barreling job.

If I can't hit a dinner plate off of a bipod, with rear support, at the generally approved max effective range of the cartridge chambered, I'm not interested. When I hunt, it's for the meat, so I only make headshots...which means I need high field accuracy, plus dependability. And plus, I like to kill dinner plates at extended ranges! .5 MOA is typically good enough, but I prefer a little better.

Sent down from the heavens using Tapatalk

IMO, shooting from bench with bipod and rear bag
-A light weight hunting rifle (Ram700, Winchester, Savage equiv) 1-1.25moa
-Entry/Mid level tactical rifle (700P/700 5R & Tikka T3 lite) 0.5-1.0 MOA
-High end factory (Sako TRG/AI) <0.25moa
-Full custom (GAP/Tac-Ops) <0.25moa
I have experience with several T3 lite. They all shoot sub moa right out of box after initial cleaning with match ammo. Yes, the T3 lite group will walk after 9 shots in rapid fire (under 7 min) due to light barrel.
TRG and AI are as good as any of custom imho.
Last point. At AI/TRG vs Custom level, it is the shooter accuracy, not the rifle anymore.

I lucked into a great shooting 700 5R (.3 MOA), so now my expectations are scewed. I wouldn't be happy with any current center fire that couldn't do 1 moa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk