• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What model 700 to grow into?

StoopidSlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
Phoenix, Az
Which 700 ought I purchase to grow into and eventually have modified to increase accuracy?

Recommend me a scope for under 700$ that will be good to 800yrd.

Thanks.

*I shoot and own gas guns, also am prior service, I know my way around a weapon. Yes I have place to shoot to 800 yrds

Re: What model 700 to grow into?

There really isn't that much to a Rem700. Receiver, barrel, stock. How much modification are you talking about? Rebarrel- may also need a new stock depending on initial and new barrel contour. New stock? May not be able to find a stock you like that will fit your barrel contour. I guess the real question is, short, long, or magnum action? So, what cartridge family are you thinking about? A 308win is plenty effective out to 800 and many stretch them out to 1000. A 300win mag will reach out a bit further. Given that as you "grow into your rifle" you are likely to rebarrel and restock- keeping only the action- I would suggest "inexpensive." Many people buy an inexpensive "donor rifle" knowing that all they want is the receiver. I think that most here will need more information in order to answer your questions.

Glass is as important as- if not more so than- your rifle. You cannot hit what you cannot see. Expect to pay as much for your scope as you do for your rifle. Nightforce scopes are well regarded for performance/cost but there are definitely higher end options- much lower end as well. While the law of diminishing marginal utility does apply, by and large you get what you pay for.

Provide some more information and I am sure that the more knowledgeable members will chime in with good recommendations and suggestions.

You can grow into any 700. If I could do it over again, I would have found the most beat up pawn shop short action for $300 to do my custom build. If you are looking for a new, reliably accurate factory rifle, the SPS Varmint is a very good start.

The SFP Vortex Viper PST 4-16 is my choice at $650.

My fault, it seems for the most part 700's are synonymous with short actions and chambered in .308. From Remington i mean anyway. Thats all i'm looking for though, a nice .308 bolt gun. Yes barrel eventually and like i mentioned stock, trigger work, simple modifications a gunsmith in az could preform, not looking to ship the rifle off for anything. I'm not looking for a super accurate gun right now. when i can afford too i will have one built, just looking to get my feet wet.

Find a used rifle. The caliber really doesn't matter, so long as it is a short action in good condition. There is nothing, however, that says you cannot put a 308 win (or derivative) in a long action. You can pick the SA caliber of your choice when you rebarrel it. Remember that to some extent the barrel contour will dictate your stock options. Starting with a long action would allow you to choose either a short action round (308 win family) or a long action round (30-06 family) albeit with a slightly longer bolt throw.

By the way, Remington offers 39 models in the 700 family, with cartridge offerings from 204 Ruger to 375 H&H. I would wager that their best sellers over the last 50 years have been 30-06 and 270win.

If I were looking for a long-range short-action bolt-gun, I would look long and hard at the 260rem.

I have heard good things about Vortex optics, though I have not handled on myself.

Any 700 in .308 and a SWFA SS 10x42 will be plenty for a starting point...then upgrade as needs/budget require/fit.

The 5R is probably top of the food chain in terms of not too many things left to "upgrade".

Otherwise the general upgrade path for would be stock, trigger, then barrel once you shoot out the old one.

Good reference article here:

http://8541tactical.com/budget%20precision%20article.php

Thanks all, for now i have about 2k for the rifle and optics, so i was thinking 800-100 rifle, 700 optics, 300 rings mags bi-pod etc. If i could find a barrel/action/stock for under a grand (used) custom might make sense but i'm not sure the likelihood of that.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint is a good rifle to start with, because you have a 26" Barrel vs the Tactical's 20" option.. You can always cut down a 26 but you can't extend a 20..

That rifle will cost around 700.. You can look into SWFA and Vortex optics.

I reccomend steel rings and bases.

I use NightForce base and rings, I cringe at the thought of cheap rings and bases.

I picked up a used Rem LTR 308 with a Leupold MK4 6.5x20 with M1 knobs on the classifieds here for $1600. This rifle has a Jewell trigger and is sub-MOA out to 600yds
It may take a while but if you ck daily you can find a deal.
If you want to buy new look at a new Rem 308 LTR for about $950, and a Sightron SIII 10x42 tactical with the Modified Mil-Dot for about $600, EGW 20MOA rail and rings $150,the rest is for a 10bx case of FGMM 175s from Palmetto State Armory.
Also might want to look at Dog-Gone-Good bags for a rest.
The 308 will get you to 700 with ease, maybe futher if you practice, no wind.
Good luck
Coach

Thanks for the input guys. I have a Leopold Mk somthing or the other 1x-8x, almost new on an HK g3 clone that i never shoot. I think a need a bit more magnification at 800 ish? Truth be told I qualified for years in the corps at 500 yr iron sight, shot out m16a2's, so even looking through that thing I feel like im on top of the world. Maybe I can sell it.

Maybe I just spend the 2k on a nice 5.5-22 NF and play pretend until i can afford a rifle to put it on lol?

Just so you know...if you buy a rifle with a factory barrel, it will most likely have a very long-throated chamber, limiting your bullet choices. That said, there are plenty of non-VLD bullets that will go 800 yards nicely. I had a 26" 700P which I rebarreled before it was shot out because I couldn't reach the lands with VLD bullets, and the barrel refused to shoot them. Refused. It also refused to shoot anything smaller than about 0.600" with any bullet whatsoever.

Now with the old barrel in my hands, I can see (naked eye) that the chamber is not concentric with the bore.

The new barrel is so superior to the factory one that I should have done it sooner.

If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods near you, they have a Remington 700 ADL Varmint special in .308. It comes with a scope (which is crap).

The stock it comes in is garbage. However it's a great option if you want a "project" rifle. You can simply drop it into the chassis of your choice, add a decent optic and you will have a rifle accurate enough for local rifle matches.

For a scope, you can get a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm Mil/Mil for a little less than that. It's a solid mid-range scope.