• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What optics?

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Currently my favorite rifle is my Savage 17 HMR. It's accurate and powerful within its range (about 200 yards) and is a ton of fun to shoot.

But right now I have el crapola optics on it. I bought the scope when I bought the gun, and didn't have much to shell for optics at the time. Now that I know my scope is a POS, I'm heavily considering another, I just don't want to pay too much.

What are you all running on your rimfires?

I've heavily considered a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40. I have one on an AR and I really like it, but a fixed 10x seems like it would have plenty of deficiencies when hunting small game. It's just too much power when tracking at close ranges. I'd like a variable, I'm just not sure which.

Ideally I'm looking for the neighborhood of 3-9x (anything close is good too), mildot reticle, and something that has tactical/target (uncovered) turrets. MIL/MOA is fine for this application, though if a decent MIL/MIL scope for this purpose is available, I wouldn't mind at all.

Theoretically, I'd like to stay under $300.

Re: What optics?

The mueller ATP, looks like a good bet. or Nikon Buckmark. They are both 4,5-14 though, not 3-9. The mueller has target turrets though.

Good luck finding what you want!

Shay

I recently put a sightron on my CZ and have been really impressed. IT's a 3x9 with the mildot and has turrets but they are covered.

an el cheapola scope that has done well for me over the last 4 years through cold, heat, rain, snow, is a centerpoint 4-16 40mm at walmart 69.00. comes with rings but the are crap so get another set or use the ones you have already, flip up lense covers, and has all the features you mentioned plus ill. mildots and adj obj and eyepiece. lifetime warranty, so far didn't need to use it.

nice for close shots (4x) and further (16x) viewing, clarity starts going away at about 14.5X. turret adjustments are 1/4" clicks and are surprisingly repeatable.

an optional sunshade is available on their website.

i kept thinking that i wanted to replace it with a nikon, but it's been working well enough to let it alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mueller ATP, looks like a good bet. or Nikon Buckmark. They are both 4,5-14 though, not 3-9. The mueller has target turrets though.

Good luck finding what you want!

Shay </div></div>

4.5-14 is fine. I used 3-9 as an example. I'm simply looking for something that will zoom back a good bit to allow tracking of pesky critters down a branch at 50 yards.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

i'm looking at the vortex crossfire for my new kel tec su 22. found it on liberty optics link here on the hide. everyone says scott is gtg. looks like the higher power has the lifetime warranty too. mil dot and illuminated reticle

The 3-9X isn't that good for target shooting the .22 at 100yds or more. At the same time, you're absolutely right about needing the lower magnification for hunting up closer.

You shouldn't have any problem finding something with parallax adjustment that goes down to 50yds. Also, to me, there's not much difference between 4.5X and 6X, so if I were you, I'd look for something in the 6-18X range, such as a Nikon Buckmaster, or 6-24X like a Weaver V24. On the other hand, if most of your shots are within 50yds, give or take, the 3-9X or a 2-7X should be enough.

I was running a 4.5-14 Leupold on my Ruger 77/17 for a while, but, I wanted more magnifacation for shooting prairie dogs, out to 200 yards, and as close as 20 yards. With the Leupold, it wouldn't focus down enough for the close shots.

I put a cheap Tasco, 6-24 on it, which will focus down really close, and although the glass isn't nearly as clear as the Leupold, with the higher magnifacation, I can see better at long distance than I could with the Leupold.

Oh, and the Tasco has mil-dots which makes holding over/under easy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was running a 4.5-14 Leupold on my Ruger 77/17 for a while, but, I wanted more magnifacation for shooting prairie dogs, out to 200 yards, and as close as 20 yards. With the Leupold, it wouldn't focus down enough for the close shots.

I put a cheap Tasco, 6-24 on it, which will focus down really close, and although the glass isn't nearly as clear as the Leupold, with the higher magnifacation, I can see better at long distance than I could with the Leupold.

Oh, and the Tasco has mil-dots which makes holding over/under easy! </div></div>

I've read quite a bit about this particular Tasco in various threads and I may give it a shot. One alternative that I haven't yet really considered is putting my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 on there. It meets most of my requirements (the low end is a bit higher than I would ideally like for this application). It used to be on my .308 until I upgraded (to a NF). I theoretically would like to sell it to lessen the sting a bit on my upgrade, and I'm not sure about putting a $600 scope on my rimfire, but I may try it and see.

Take a look at the Falcon Menace line. I just picked up one used for $300 shipped. They are new $400 but have been hard to get hold of. The one I got was FFP, Mil line reticule with 1/10th mil turrets. It has a side focus and will focus down to 25 yards. It was the closest to my USO scope in features, glass is better than I expected and since it will be used on a trainer rifle and a AR I used some Leupold QR rings.

Honestly, though you already have what you need why not use it. You can always sell it latter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">an el cheapola scope that has done well for me over the last 4 years through cold, heat, rain, snow, is a centerpoint 4-16 40mm at walmart 69.00. comes with rings but the are crap so get another set or use the ones you have already, flip up lense covers, and has all the features you mentioned plus ill. mildots and adj obj and eyepiece. lifetime warranty, so far didn't need to use it.

nice for close shots (4x) and further (16x) viewing, clarity starts going away at about 14.5X. turret adjustments are 1/4" clicks and are surprisingly repeatable.

an optional sunshade is available on their website.

i kept thinking that i wanted to replace it with a nikon, but it's been working well enough to let it alone. </div></div>

i have to agree with the centerpoint. for the price i bought it just to put something on to shoot with. was planning to get something better. but it works real well on my 22lr. holds zero so far. traks well doing the box test. i heard that the mil is not to spec, but just for plinking its fine. but then again im using a win wildcat. if it was a anshultz then i would get better optics