• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What powder for 224 Valkyrie

Some. It's a really long thread. I was trying to cheat and just get some suggestions... I have shamed my ancestors with my impatience. :(
Okay, so ima gonna let you inna on a liddle secret. Skim the whole thread with a pen and paper at hand. Ya know, the old-fashioned way. Every time you see a powder mentioned with good results, jot it down and the associated bullets & weights associated with it. Maybe the barrel info and velocity if given.

You’ll end up with a fairly short list. Decide which bullet(s) you want for your barrel twist, barrel length, and application. Now back reference your list of info. Probably a shorter list; of, if not one, then maybe two or three powders max and one or two projectile weights/brands.

Viola! You’re on your way to developing a specific load for your rifle and application.

Or, you could start with Varget/CFE 223 and go from there. Whatever works for you.

I have ordered several for load development ranging from 78-95gr in SMK's, ELD's, Cutting Edge solid copper, etc. uh.. I went a little crazy ordering damn near everything out there.

lol OH my......
Guys on the facebook page "Valkyrie Ascending Reloading" have convinced me to switch from 88eldm's to 80eldm's. I plan to still play a little with the 88's but if you take the 80's to 2950-3000fps "which is possible" the 80's out perform the 88's in ballistics. I tested the ballistics on the 80, 88, 90 and 95's and the 80's were darn good, 90's and 95's seemed excellent beyond 1500yrds for drop and wind drift. To match the 80's ballistics you would have to get the 88's to 3000+, the only thing the 88's have is energy, right now the fastest I've seen 88's pushed is like 2880 or so and your starting to push the limits with things. Most prefer Hodgeon Varget, h4895, IMR 8208xbr, cci 450 have worked good for me but others have been using BR cci primers and so on. For me varget was too slow but I want to rework my previous work with my new/better equipment I now have. The fastest I pushed 88's was ~2800 fps in a 1-6.5 24" bolt action rifle with cfe223 which is fairly temp sensitive compared to the other I mentioned above. I would like to try the 95's but, one thing at a time so I don't f things up!
One guy says he's getting up to 22-250 speeds with 53 grain Hornady vmax with 28gr of h4895, the speed was around 3550fps according to a guy on the fb page.