what round to mag feed berger 230s?

crackerbacks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
SE Michigan
Sorry if this has been covered already.

I am looking to build a rifle for ELR to 1500yrds. I am thinking 300 win mag, 300 WSM or 7mm WSM. Now here are the 2 stipulations... I would like to mag feed the 230 bergers or the 180 bergers in the 7mm. Secondly I want to use my thunderbeast 30ba so nothing bigger than the 300WM.

Thanks!

I have considered the norma but my suppressor is only rated to the 300WM. I would hate to destroy it

You might call Zak and ask about that. I'm currently using a 300wm load of 82gr of Retumbo behind the 190smk. It's pretty darn close to FGMM. My 300 Norma load is 85.3gr with the 230. I know it's a different cartridge but perhaps the 30ba can handle it.

Last edited:
I have a 7WSM that uses 180gr Bergers and have a 30-P1 on the way. It is a Surgeon 591 WSM action in an AICS 2.0 SA so it uses AI short action magazines. Saves a little weight and length compared to going the long action route, plus I can use 10 rounds magazines although with the fat WSM case I only fit 7 rounds. You can use a long action with the 7WSM but even out of a short action I can put enough powder in to cause pressure signs. Some have said the 7WSM actually has too much case capacity so I see no need to use the long action in order to gain more.

1,500 yards is easy for the 7WSM and recoil is very tame compared to .300WMs I have shot (mine has a Badger Thruster brake as well). 7WSM is a great little round and I have yet to see someone who had one be disappointed.

+1 on the 30-375 Ruger a rimless case that will fit a standard long action and no rim to hassle with. I am building one right now.

How hard is it to neck down the brass? I have heard great things about the 30/375 Rugers performance but am trying to sort out the logistics before I commit the $.