Night Vision What target do you use to sight in thermals

Tear off a square of reflective muffler tape, & tape around it with electrical tape. Tape this onto a regular target. Use a lighter to heat up the tape. Sometimes the lighter isn’t needed if the sun is out. This is the cheapest method. The best, yet expensive, method are the thermal targets that DownRangeThermal sells.

I used to use handwarmers, but I've found they get so hot there isn't a well defined target to shoot at. Lately, I've had better luck just using steel. I hit the face of the steel target with a blow torch for 15-20 seconds, heating the surface as evenly as possible. This seems to give me a less wavy, less overheated target vs handwarmers. I can then dial into center of plate. Lasts surprisingly long too. No rush to shoot.

I've tried foil, but it didn't work. Though that could be because I'm usually doing this in the winter.

Like some others recommended, any ole tin foil works. Cut out an inch or so square and tape/staple it to your target. In a pinch I actually used a bubble gum wrapper and used the abc gum to stick it on a target.

I used to use hand warmers but one good hit and it’s done. To me the tin foil looks more defined and will take several shots.

Hot water in a small bottle. I’ll put a piece of cardboard with a small hole cut out with the water bottle behind the hole. Or cut a hole and stick just the cap of the water bottle through. This gives me a smaller aiming point and more defined target than a hothand.

I’ve also used an ice cube.

Used a quarter with double sided tap on cardboard and it worked great. Keep a couple quarters in your pocket to stay warm if needed but I was able to sight in about 15 min at 50 yds. I've found starting close (15 yds) is really helpful as some of these thermals don't line up quite as well as day scopes usually do

Besides, kittens clearly are superior. Finer aiming point.
True, but kittens grow up to be cats. Cats are cool. Puppies grow up to be dogs. Dogs suck.

Prevent puppies from becoming dogs. Unless you’re a Biden-loving Communist, then you’re probably a dog lover and shoot 6.5CM.

thems-fightin-words.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta
True, but kittens grow up to be cats. Cats are cool. Puppies grow up to be dogs. Dogs suck.

Prevent puppies from becoming dogs. Unless you’re a Biden-loving Communist, then you’re probably a dog lover and shoot 6.5CM.

I kinda like puppies and dogs are great for hunting pheasants, but there are 2 kinds of cats. Good cats and live cats.

I would imagine as long as you didn't get a mutated miniature breed you could get a puppy to stay reasonably still for zeroing. Especially after you confirm zero via headshot

Reactions: TheHorta
Staple a hamdwarmer onto a target backer. Cut out a 1" square from a piece of cardboard and bend/staple the cardboard so it's a few inches in front of the handwarmer. This way the heat doesn't bleed and you have a solid aim point.
That’s brilliant. I’ve always had the heat bleed and ended up aiming at a 4” circle.

Over the summer I simply spray painted my target center and steel with black paint. Worked well at 100yds in the sun. Haven't tried now that things have cooled down.....