• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What thermal LRF spotter has the best LRF performance?

tekmann2377

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
OH
So several of the consumer-grade thermal monoculars/binoculars have integrated LRF's onboard, as do several of the thermal weapon sights themselves.

The ones that come to mind for spotters are:
Pulsar Merger/Telos
AGM Voyage/Axiom
Guide IR

Things seem to spiral upwards in cost after that, to units like the Voodoo B or FLIR Recon.

As for integrated LRF's in weapon sights:
Super Yoter
Pulsar Thermion
HALO XRF
Etc.

Now short of the Voodoo/FLIR stuff or MARS weapon mount units, have any of you experienced any difference in the range finding performance between the above consumer grade units? Or are they all imported LRF's pasted on the side that come from the same factory in China with similar performance? Can they come close to matching something like a base Leica handheld RF?

The purpose I ask is I have some high grade stuff on a dedicated long range 22 CM rifle, but a lot of the night shooting I do is actually with smaller calibers at smaller targets (varmints), for which accurate ranging is very critical to making a hit. I already have 2 very good quality non-LRF thermal weapon sights for them, but I would rather have a separate spotter with LRF that putting a MARS on each of them LOL.

The Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 LRF will range at night to 800/900ish yards. Which is way farther then I would ever shoot at night on game. The Pulsar onboard ballistics solver works very well. Laser target, then it puts an aiming point on your reticle for the range. Super easy.