• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk What to expect at K&M

HonkyTonk86

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2018
Santa Cruz, CA
Coming from west coast having only shot PRS/NRL matches west of the Rockies (plus PRS Finale last year) what can I expect going to GAP Grind this year? Props? Avg target size? Movement? Wind? Typical stressors?

🙏🏽 in advance

Last edited:
K&M is one of the few/only places where I've seen tripods are deployed on the clock. Only props you might need it for are bus windows and cattle gate. Everything else is solid.

Reactions: HonkyTonk86
GapGrind k&m- A ton of people. So many people, 20 person squads, pros do all the spotting, some stages AMs have a different COF, Solid props, all prone will be done from shaded concrete floors, 90sec par, rarely leaving plate for wind, soupy mirage, afternoon sun that’ll make seeing targets tough. Zero day is a war zone, get there 1hr before they say it opens, they’ll already be people shooting.

I feel it remiss to not mention that most of the ranges are near golf course level of grounds-keeping.
20230526_055651.jpg
20230526_055247.jpg
20230525_190839.jpg
20231001_090147.jpg
20231001_074332.jpg
20230930_141637.jpg

Attachments

• 20230930_161440.jpg
    20230930_161440.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 34
One of the best matches in one of the finest (Augusta of shooting ranges) ranges in the world. You will be well fed and taken care of.

Carry rain gear. It typically rains in October in TN.
The 1000 yrd ranges get soupy with mirage so make sure you have set your parallax properly before each stage.
Don't leave the plate..lol
Book a place to stay ASAP, there is nothing close by. If you are staying in Henderson, don't leave anything in the car overnight
Flying in to Nashville >Flying into Memphis

Its going to be a great experience, soak it all in.

Reactions: HonkyTonk86
As others have said, it is by far the nicest shooting range I’ve ever been on, and it seems they sink a ton of money into it each year making additional improvements! SO many improvements since my first Grind in 2019
They reduced the attendance last year. I think squads are capped at 16 now instead of 20. Still…a LOT of people!
Get there early for the check-in/tune-up day, and have fun with the side stages that day too! A few premium sponsors will have side stages with prizes for the top PRO and top AM.
The match itself is twenty stages over two days, and I believe there were three, maybe four, that were at or very near 1000 yards last year. They added more prone stages last year than in previous years. Most others will be between 400 and 800 from various positions, and there will be at least one, maybe two, mover stages.
Prepare for anything! We’ve had mornings in the low 40’s and afternoons near 90. They usually try to get through at least 11 stages on Saturday to shorten up Sunday. The last stage or two on Saturday will most likely finish with the sun in your eyes, making it nearly impossible to see through your scope, so plan accordingly. You ARE allowed to use whatever you take to the line with you to help you with the sun. The PRO’s can help the AM’s with that, but PRO’s are on their own. I’d also strongly suggest bringing knee pads. After 2021 (the big muddy mess), every shooting line is either concrete or large gravel. It’s nice that you’re no longer laying in a swamp (my wife has a picture of me prone in a mud puddle up above the clubhouse), but the large gravel sucks on the kneeling stages! Most of all…have fun!