• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What's the AR version of an Origin/Bravo/PVA prefit?

WillEver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2023
Fort Worth, TX
I'd like to put together a 6 ARC gas gun, but I'm not an AR guy at all. I just wouldn't know where to start spending money.

When the "first precision rifle" threads pop up, the advice is generally an Origin/CDG, a Proof or PVA prefit, and a Bravo.

What's the AR version of that? I don't want to cheap out, but I don't need top of the line everything, either.

I'd like to put together a 6 ARC gas gun, but I'm not an AR guy at all. I just wouldn't know where to start spending money.

When the "first precision rifle" threads pop up, the advice is generally an Origin/CDG, a Proof or PVA prefit, and a Bravo.

What's the AR version of that? I don't want to cheap out, but I don't need top of the line everything, either.
its a scale just like anything else, but the thing you run into with ARs is the capability of the person assembling them matters a lot, as there are little things that won't stop it being functional, but won't do your accuracy any favors if you don't check for them (misalignments, improper shimming, things being out of spec, etc)

if someone wanted to build a precision 6arc on a budget, my recommendation would be to get a criterion blank barrel from https://www.precisionfirearms.com/ and a matched receiver set from a quality brand, as that will start you off with a solid foundation. There's lots of options for triggers, but the Geissele SSA-E or Hiperfire X2S are both fairly safe bets for quality two-stage triggers. Superlative arms bleed-off gas block is fairly idiot proof for gassing the rifle properly, and gives you a lot of room to tweak if you run into issues.

you can upgrade or downgrade the BCG depending on what you're after, but in an AR, being properly assembled by a competent gunsmith who knows what to look for, thermal/shim fitting the barrel to the upper, and a good barrel and trigger are 90% of the job