Rifle Scopes What's the hide's opinion of the Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes for a 100 yard paper puncher?

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
I have a Savage 93R17 17 HMR bolt action on the way. I don't hunt and the rifle will only be shot from a bench to punch paper at 100 yards or less. I've got a line on a used Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 for a good price and I'd like to get the hide's opinion on it.

If money is an issue that scope should serve you well. Bushnell has some decent glass which is plenty good for your purpose. What price range are you in?

The VX-3 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) side focus target w/fine duplex is my favorite scope for rimfires and such.

31HQPxvFPML.jpg

I am of a different opinion on the Elite Tactical 4200 line. I bought one of them new from SWFA for my .22WMR a couple of years back after being very satisfied with their 3-9x32 rimfire scope for my .22lr plinker. The Elite 4200 was a 3-9x40 with the same duplex reticle. When I compared the two side by side I was pretty dissapointed. The Elite's reticle was a little thinner. However only at 8 or 9x did the Elite look better than the Bushnell rimfire scope. Perhaps I expected too much from a $270 scope, perhaps their rimfire scope was just really good for $40...all I can say is that both held up to recoil of the .22 WMR just fine and held zero well. I should of gone with a cheaper alternative.

Very good glass and scope quality. Downside would be limited travel, but not an issue for your stated purpose. Jump on it.

Good to hear it has good glass, that was my main concern. The limited travel wont be an issue. A 17 grain 17 HMR drops off dramatically after 200 yards. With 100 yard zero the round will drop 10" at 200 and 24" at 250. Add to that the fact that the range I shoot at the most only goes out to 150 yards it should be fine.