• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What's the limit???

DRAM40A1

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2007
    S E of Dallas,TX.
    I bought a Colt stripped lower today and was wondering what would be the limit on price. I know it's no better than most other lowers but something compelled me to buy this today and it's apparent to me that I have more money than sense. I plan to build up a dedicated 22 and thought it would be cool on a Colt lower..........opinions please.

Re: What's the limit???

In my opinion you are right: you have more money than sense!
    laugh.gif

I think you should enjoy yourself and build a dedicated .22 on it. Sounds like a fun project that has no chance of devolving into a high drama thread.

Like your fellow Texan Julio always seems to do!

Don't drink the coltaid,,,a lower is a lower as long as they are within specs. The problem with Colts is the fire control pin sizes and lrg vs sm front detent .
    What .22 upper,,CZ,Spikes,,or what?

For an ar15 stripped lower bout $200 would be my max. Colt does nothing for me in the lower, but the upper is where they stand out with the quality(bolts/barrels etc.). After saying all that, I still don't have a Colt AR in the gun safe. KAC, Spikes and LMT have worked well enough foe me not to have to spend the big money on a 6920.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAMCIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't drink the coltaid,,,a lower is a lower as long as they are within specs. The problem with Colts is the fire control pin sizes and lrg vs sm front detent .
    What .22 upper,,CZ,Spikes,,or what? </div></div>
    I'm going to look into the Spikes Tactical. My second choice will be Model One. Im not so shure about their use of ER Shaw blanks though....Who here has experience with either of those uppers? Thanks.

JR V, I have four AR's and by far my favorite is a Spikes lower with Rock River upper. It's a 14.5 with pinned Vortex. I have buyers remorse on the lower already, less than 24 hours later. I'm into it about 400.00. OUCH!!!!

Ouch is right, holy $h!t. Could have got one of the cool Seekins lowers for $300 with more features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAM40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JR V, I have four AR's and by far my favorite is a Spikes lower with Rock River upper. It's a 14.5 with pinned Vortex. I have buyers remorse on the lower already, less than 24 hours later. I'm into it about 400.00. OUCH!!!! </div></div>

Don't have buyers remorse, just go throw it up forsale on ARFCOM and let the koolaid drinkers fight it out for it.
    laugh.gif

In MY opinion all lowers are not created equal. For example I wouldnt pay anything for certain Olympic lowers. Ive had an armalite that looked like it was in a blender first. For fit and finish my rock river is fantastic. My Bushy is good. My first Colt sucked, my second is very good. I would pay more for a machined lower but some earlier ones like Sun Devil had issues with some mags. Would I let say 50 to 100 premium stop me if I ran into one locally and wanted it... probably not. Who knows what tommorow may bring? The pendulem swings but assume for a second that all bans where ordered dissolved and the market was awash in lowers, would I loose sleep over paying an extra 100 or even 200 bucks? No. I paid 225 for my complete RR lower back in the day. It looks like they can still be found for 350 to 375. I can live with paying an extra 125 to 175 in these times. Each person breaking point is likely different though. I paid 350 for my Noveske N6 stripped lower. I see them today for 600. I would not pay that. BUT I already have others. If I didnt and it looked like the end of the line, I might.

CMT
    Makes RRA,STAG,S&W, and a couple of others...........
    Can't go wrong w/ any, they make.

You could not give me a Superior..........period, plus they private label MANY lowers.
    Some work, some don't...........

Stick w/ the known entities....................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh shit! I think this is gonna sting a little!!!! </div></div>
    LMAO, It didn't sting near as bad as I thought. It sold in less than one hour and for a PROFIT!!!!WOW

That is just crazy, people need to get out form under the tin foil. Glad you made money on it but damn I would not pay these outragous prices for striped lowers. Maybe if I didnt have one I would change my tune but damn. I just paid $225 last week for an SBR registered striped lower brand new, I think I got a deal but they are still out there to be had.

Glad to hear that you got out with some extra $$$ in your pocket. Now go sign up for one of those Seekins lowers, or the CDI that are coming out.
    wink.gif
    That way you can feel good about having a high-quality lower for less than the Colt while helping out some upstanding Hide supporters.

It is a hard time to get a new M4 put together but I am in the boat of not having one as of now, so I am starting to put one together just in case they get restricted soon.