• 12 Hours Left: Use code HIDE40 to get 40% off subscriptions

You've got until midnight to get 40% off. Pick your plan below!

Subscribe

Where have the ELDMs and Bergers Gone?

rodi53

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2020
Obviously we haven't been able to get primers and most popular powders for a long time. Now I can't even find the bullets I use for my 6 and 6.5 loads. Hornady 140 gr ELDM's? Nope. 108 gr ELDM's? Nope. Berger 109 gr LRHT's. Nope. No one has them. I'm on the list to be notified at about a dozen retailers, but so far nothing. There are alternatives to my preferred bullets out there (mainly hunting bullets), but I have good long range loads for my rifles already, and I don't want to have to screw around with reworking everything because of the different BC's of a substitute bullet.

I've heard the reasoning behind the shortage of primers and powder (the "new shooters" excuse), but this makes no sense to me. These are bullets that the average new shooter would know nothing about nor have a need for. Does anyone have insight on what's happening bullet-wise? Have the manufacturers changed over their production lines to make other products? Are all the bullets being used to make factory ammo? I used to think I'd run out of powder or primers first, but now it looks like it will be bullets.

Regardless of the exact reason, the answer is supply exceeds demand. Bullet makers are supplying ammunition makers first who are major clients.

The ammunition supply was severely underserved last year due to the Remington bankruptcy.

Hoarding, this like earlier shortages are being fueled to a large extent by individuals buying up excessive amounts of components.

Then there are the opportunists buying things up for resale.

Honestly ... I've had pretty good luck getting what I needed. Example of that being 500 Berger 6.5 HT 140's delivered a few days ago after about 6 weeks on backorder. I just look out at what I need in a few months, and get it backordered now at reputable sites that have a good track record of delivering on backordered products (Midway, Creedmoor, Graf, etc.). Watching for the "Back In Stock" alerts is a losing procurement strategy.

Regardless of the exact reason, the answer is supply exceeds demand. Bullet makers are supplying ammunition makers first who are major clients.

The ammunition supply was severely underserved last year due to the Remington bankruptcy.

Hoarding, this like earlier shortages are being fueled to a large extent by individuals buying up excessive amounts of components.

You mean demand exceeds supply right

Pretty much this.

I'm amazed that this still needs to be explained.

You did not differentiate between "new shooters" and "experienced shooters who have added 6mm and 6.5mm guns to their collection". There is a LOT of the latter. And yes, those guys already know what the good rounds are. And they buy them up. Companies like Hornady would rather make bigger profit from selling a Whole Round, as versus just selling their bullets. As such, Hornady can be one of the major consumers of their own Bullets, especially for people who have not set up for reloading (or may delay setting up until they decide if they like the gun/round).

Im sure Hornady is using more of the components for factory loaded ammunition. I dont think thats helping the cause. I see them come in stock from time to time. I was able to grab some more from midway twice the past month of two. They do hit you with the 2 box limit, but i guess that allows everyone to get a little. We are rationing out projectiles like the russians rationed out bread.

Guys it's supply and demand no matter how you cut it....add the fact of new gun owners, pandemic, riot crap and panic across the whole dam thing!

Don't forget people are getting paid to stay at home with extended unemployment benefits and increase in $ for unemployment....so why should they go back to work for 9 months when they are getting basically they're paycheck and then some in a lot of cases! Why look for a job?

My nephews fiancé told me at Christmas 2020 that they're family never had anything against guns...just never seen a need for them. Then she tells me in the next breath that last year alone her parents bought 18 guns! From 0 to 18 in one year. They need ammo for those guns as well if they want to shoot them! Think about it....even at just 100 rounds per gun if they want to take them to the range and shoot them....they now need 1800 rounds of ammo. Now multiply that by from what I've heard of 7 million new gun owners last year. Granted not every house hold bought 18 new guns....but no matter how you do the math....demand is way up.

I know of one ammo maker (not naming names) they are back ordered 2.5 years just on 9mm and not even quoting lead times on 223 ammo. Bullet makers are not in much of a better shape.

Now throw in Covid19! I know overseas plants between being short people....people being allowed to stay home and get paid for it (just like what is happening here) and shipping problems is going to be putting an even greater strain on places like Federal, Hornady, CCI, Barnes etc...here in the States. Remington shut down most of the year just keeps adding to the issues we are all seeing!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

As a whole manufacturing has been down. Working in the automotive world, on a national scale through all the manufacturers, its hard to get parts right now. Tire prices have gone through the roof too.

Reactions: Frank Green
Did any of you see the numbers for the whole toilet paper shortage earlier last year?

At any given time there is only a 11% extra supply of toilet paper in inventory. Plants making the toilet paper still working 24 hours a day basically.

When the whole pandemic started and people where told to stay at home and fear and panic set in etc...demand for toilet paper went up 685%! Guess what....11% isn't going to cover that!

As a whole manufacturing has been down. Working in the automotive world, on a national scale through all the manufacturers, its hard to get parts right now. Tire prices have gone through the roof too.
Because the whole process is messed up....demand for sheet metal both in steel and aluminum form...not just automotive industry (which has the largest demand) but places that do stamping for other types of products etc...are having a hard time getting material. Our oldest son works in a tool and die shop and do stamping as well and they do a lot of work for the auto industry....he might get laid off again in the next couple of weeks and they are back down to 40 hours a week a few weeks ago. Was working 50 hours.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Are Berger and Hornday bullets made from china sourced raw materials?

During the obummer years the last lead smelters were closed here. All lead is imported now.

Somehow it makes more sense to send our scrap across the ocean and smelt it with raw than to keep it here. Oh, that's because there is no epa there so they can pollute everything without worry!