• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Where to shoot 500 yds and beyond around N.VA

TM2Hide

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Guys,

Its really frustating not to be able to strech your euipment and skills. I will appreciate if you guys can point me to where i can go upto 3, 4 hrs drive even to shoot 500 yds and beyond around northern virginia. I know matches are a good way to practice but I am looking more for a place to practice. Thanks

Regards
Abhishek Gautam

Re: Where to shoot 500 yds and beyond around N.VA

I have yet to find a place over 500 in northern virginia, closest i have come is 400 at 340 defense. There is quantico but good luck the wait and the people you have to go with your better off finding a farmer and offering him money to shoot on his property. There is a place in PA that has a 1k range, and there are some guys in southern virginia that has property they are willing to let people shoot there for the day for a minimal fee. I have personally not gone down there but i will def be poking interested here in the next 2 months. plan to head down there for the weekend. If you find anything please keep me in the loop and i will also let u know if i find anything else.

Regards,
Ben

Not sure about how far exactly it will be away from you but check out thundervalleyprecision.com it's in Ohio but will be well worth the trip. Tom Sarver runs that range and he's awesome. Tom has 20+ years experience, has 2 world records in 1000 yard bench rest and also makes great custom builds to your specs. He has 12x12 steel from 100 to 1000 yards. Also a 1 mile and I think 2400-2500 yard steel target. Usually has 4 inch clays at the 600 yard line. He may also have some different options for different size steel if you arrange it with Tom. You CANNOT go wrong at TVP, there's usually some good wind there to test yourself. Check it out, hope this helps ...

2012-03-04_14-25-02_236.jpg

http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/

They have a range out to 1K. From Baltimore I can make it in 3 hours.

Membership - Per year: $50.00 Single and $60.00 for Family memberships. Active duty military personnel “free”. You may be eligible for a “Life” membership if you have been a member for the 5 previous years before your 65th birthday.

Black Hat runs a few matches there a year.

Peacemaker is very hard to get to shoot at on weekends. They normally have the 1000 open on weekdays only or during a match. They have to shut all of the other ranges down to shoot past 200 yards. You also have to be a member and qualify to shoot a 1000. I think it is $400.00 a year. When they do have the 1000 open, the minimum distance you can shoot is 600 yards.

Gameonn, I live in NoVa as well. I have found 2 ranges that work. FIrst, Peacemaker in WVA as mentioned above. From Manassas, it took me 75minutes to get it to it 2 weekends ago. Nice place, but to shoot at the big range, you have to be a member, and it can be hard to get during open hours, but it seems most non-match weekends, its open at some point (either at 600, or 1000), just need to be flexible. I am planning on joining it soon.

Your 2nd option is, and this is my hidden Gem of a range, Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol club in Bridgeville DE. Its around $100/year. Right now, they have 5 Action pistol pits, a 25yard range, 50yard range, and then a 100-200-300yard range where you can shoot at each distance from the same bench. The other side of the property has 100,200,300,400,500, and 600yard Pit style targets. This is open any time there isnt a match, but obviously hard to shoot by yourself with pit style target. They have matches most weekends (FClass, HP mostly, some BR). Its nice though. They are about to open the 700,800,900,1000 yard part, but its only going to be open once a month if that since it will shut down every other range, and you will have to qualify to be able to shoot, but its still not open and not all details are in.. Nice place that and only 2+hours away, i spend alot of time there myself.