• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which but stock for my new carbine build?

Re: Which but stock for my new carbine build?

I have a UBR and it is strong but I wouldn't call it light. You might want to check out the Magpul CTR. It is a light stock with a good fit and when you lock it there is almost no play.

I don't personally care for the ACE stocks because I have found the quality to be hit and miss.

The UBR is one of the finest AR stocks on the market right now in my opinion. They are strong, solid, and unlike many other collapsible stock setups, they offer a consistent, firm cheekweld thanks to the fixed position upper half of the stock. Now, with that said, they are anything but light coming in at just over 2lbs with the stock, buffer and spring installed. This is nice when it comes to balancing out a rifle with a heavier barrel or one with a little more forward weight, but it might bother some people...particularly those looking for LIGHT weight.

Other options you should consider are: 1) the VLTOR EMOD stock (strong, locks up tight, and complete it weighs in at around 1.5lbs incl. the buffer, receiver extension, spring, etc.); and 2) the Magpul ACS (again, a strong, well-made, but lightweight collapsible stock that weighs in just a little less than the EMOD when fully equipped/installed on your rifle/carbine).

Here are links to both:

http://www.vltor.com/EMOD-New.html

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG370/87

FYI, since you provided MidwayUSA links to the products you are considering...both of the stocks I suggested in addition to the UBR are carried by Midway.

Good luck!

Barrel length and profile will determine which stock would best balance it. For SBRs and lightweight barrels, I typically recommend a CTR or MOE as they're relatively light and balance the short/light barrels well. 14.5" or 16" M4/gov't profile barrels do well with an ACS. Longer barrels are typically SPR-type builds that I recommend an A2 stock as the first stock to try. I've found that the A2 fills the needs of the majority of shooters who build an SPR and it's alot less coin than stepping up to a PRS or UBR.

The ACS should definitely be considered in the running for a carbine. You get collapsability and stability in one stock.

Ultimately though, fit to you should make the decision.

Thanks for all of your responses really have helped me a lot. Think I am going to go with the UBR, but like the VLTOR EMOD. I have no way of comparing he two physically. Eventually I am going to be running the 458 socom on this build as well and am thining the UBR may be a little more solid to handle the recoil, I think I like the the way this stock extends a little more as well. I am just going to have to deal with the weight!

I have a UBR on my 18" build...
DSC_0004.jpg

On this particular rifle, it really helped out when shooting off hand, because it adds some heft in the back and balances it out.

I also have a 14.5" carbine build and I tried the UBR on that to see how it would feel. It made the carbine feel really light in front. Whether you like that or not is up to you. As far as the weight of the UBR goes, you won't feel it shouldering the rifle. Where you'll feel it is when it's slung and your just carrying the rifle. Personally, if I get the impulse to drop another $250 on a stock, I may very well get another one to put on my carbine. For me, I feel that it helps to shoulder the carbine more quickly, but that's just the way it feels. I've never clocked myself with the stock to see if it actually made me faster.

+1 on the UBR I've got two and ordered a third. I like that it doesn't interfere with the charging handel, has a great LOP adjustment and has the trapdoor in the stock so you can add bags of shot/lead if you want to counter balance a really heavy barrel.

The installation is very solid and robust - way better than the VLTOR collapsible I had before - it really does feel like a fixed stock!

marduk - on the Troll Hammer Stock (GH Model), I really appreciate your interest and support - the bad news is that I've suspended development as GoatHead seems to have vanished from the Hide

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...168#Post2144168

(Plus it's getting way too cold to spend too much time in the shed)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If brain bashing is a major part of the rifle's usage- just get the alu strike plate for the UBR (or buy an old milsurp!).

I run a magpul ctr on my 458 socom and it is rock solid . I Like being able to adjust the length of pull to fit my clothing since here in south east missouri it can go from hunting in a t-shirt to needing your carharrts in a matter of hours.

The UBR is heavy, not light... and the ACE quality is hit or miss.
The lightest thing you will find is a Magpul MOE or CTR (I prefer the CTR for the locking feature).
If you want something with a little more to it, go up to a Magpul ACS or look at one of the VLTOR Modstocks. I use a Vltor EMod on my .308 carbine, and it can be used as a hammer if need be... seriously.