• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes which height Badgers do I need??

Re: which height Badgers do I need??

Dreever, you'll do fine with Badger's so-called "mediums", i.e. their 0.885" (base to ring bore centerline).

Danny, this question gets asked hundreds of times per year. The key is to do the math. Measure the OD of your scope's objective, and divide by two. That's the dimension above which your rings and base need to raise your scope to clear a non-tapered barrel the same diameter as your action.

Add in the clearance you want, e.g. 1/8", and there's the equation. Now you have to figure out how thick the base is, and how high the rings are. No mfg. uses the same dimensions for "low" and "medium", so you need to know the numbers.

Your bbl has a significant taper, and the 20 MOA base has a very slight taper, so that's a wash.

0.841" height rings, like the Burris XTR "low", will clear a 50mm objective scope on a Badger 20 MOA taper base on a Rem 700 with a very heavy barrel. So, I'm thinking just a bit taller than that to account for the 3mm greater height of your scope.

3mm = about 1/8", i.e. 0.125".

Re: which height Badgers do I need??

Dreever,

I just had a rifle built with a barrel a little heavier than yours and a Badger 20MOA base. I asked Terry to send the lowest rings that would work with a 56mm scope, and he included Badger mediums. I don't have a 56mm scope yet, but with the smaller scope it looks like everything will fit just fine. Terry should know.