• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which is better for 7 SAUM brass...ADG or Norma?

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Considering building one in a carbon fiber pre-fit for the Bighorn TL3 and I’m curious who’s brass is better?

ADG says to lower charge weights a bit because their case capacity is supposedly a little lower.

Norma has a pretty good reputation in general it seems but I don’t have much direct experience.

I wish Lapua made some, lol.

Adg is been consistent in my saum . No issues with brass
    Same
    ADG has been excellent.
    Good consistency and brass life.
    F9EB3B37-406C-434E-99F6-10CBB5AF5BAA.jpeg

Considering building one in a carbon fiber pre-fit for the Bighorn TL3 and I’m curious who’s brass is better?

ADG says to lower charge weights a bit because their case capacity is supposedly a little lower.

Norma has a pretty good reputation in general it seems but I don’t have much direct experience.

have a buddy that has used ADG and has been great for him...on a side note and don’t want to distract from original question, but where are you getting your 7SAUM prefit? I’m looking and can’t seem to track one down.

Bighorn orgin
    Pva 24" barrel
    Manners t2a carbon fiber
    Hellfire brake
    Leupold m5
    I do like the cartridge manageable recoil,with good ballistics with a 26-28 barrel, and the adg brass is really good. I running the Berger 180 hybrids with 55.8 grains of 4350 at 2860 fps. With decent accuracy, I ran the wee 180 elds till they started blowing up. The only thing I wish was different on my chamber us the freebore it is extremely long ,I'm jumping the 180 100 thousandths out of a mag. I don't know what the freebore is on mine but I wish it was about 60 tho . shorter or ran out of a long action with this freebore. Hope this helps

have a buddy that has used ADG and has been great for him...on a side note and don’t want to distract from original question, but where are you getting your 7SAUM prefit? I’m looking and can’t seem to track one down.

mtnhunter, I have yet to track one down and PROOF has a 6 month lead time right now on pre-fits so if I find a source I’ll report back...after I buy mine, lol.

I might just buy a carbon blank and have someone chamber it that knows how to throat it for a short action since free-bore will make a big difference. I suppose I should decide on the bullet I’m going to shoot to help decide all that.
    If anyone has had luck with a shouldered pre-fit 7 Saum on a short action let me know. I’ll be hunting with it occasionally and probably shooting it in the Nightforce ELR match so a good of amount of consistent brass will be nice, I’ll probably do 300 of the ADG.

Reactions: mtnhunter22
    Bighorn orgin
    Pva 24" barrel
    Manners t2a carbon fiber
    Hellfire brake
    Leupold m5
    I do like the cartridge manageable recoil,with good ballistics with a 26-28 barrel, and the adg brass is really good. I running the Berger 180 hybrids with 55.8 grains of 4350 at 2860 fps. With decent accuracy, I ran the wee 180 elds till they started blowing up. The only thing I wish was different on my chamber us the freebore it is extremely long ,I'm jumping the 180 100 thousandths out of a mag. I don't know what the freebore is on mine but I wish it was about 60 tho . shorter or ran out of a long action with this freebore. Hope this helps

Great info Sir, thanks. I like Hornady bullets but in magnums I guess they are blowing up sometimes, I heard of several doing that at the NF ELR match in WY.

Just noticed this too, almost a .7 G1, made for the US F-Class team. (What caliber are they shooting these in?)

I cant speak to Norma, but my 7 Sherman Short brass from ADG has been very consistent and on its 8th firing w/ zero signs of issue. Havent been pushed to the peak, but not light loads either. 175-183gr bullets at 2850-3000 fps.

Just noticed this too, almost a .7 G1, made for the US F-Class team. (What caliber are they shooting these in?)

Don’t look at G1 BC! Use G7! But yes the G7 is excellent on these as well. Even better on the 190 LRHT and 190 A-tips.

F-open is dominated by the 284 Winchester, with some wildcats like 284 Shehane (basically 284 Win AI).

Reactions: verdugo60
    Great info Sir, thanks. I like Hornady bullets but in magnums I guess they are blowing up sometimes, I heard of several doing that at the NF ELR match in WY.
    I initially had good success with the 180 eldm but then got a new lot of them and had a terrible blow up rate.

Look at the 190LRHT.
    I’m launching them at a comfortable 2880(28”) and the ballistic and consistency are excellent.
    190A tip has a better BC but I had a few of those blow up and act wonky.

Don’t look at G1 BC! Use G7! But yes the G7 is excellent on these as well. Even better on the 190 LRHT and 190 A-tips.

F-open is dominated by the 284 Winchester, with some wildcats like 284 Shehane (basically 284 Win AI).

Interesting, 280 AI is what I almost built but decided to just do a 7saum instead on one of my short action Bighorns and skip the long action for now. I may do a long action mausingfield to do the 300 Norma later but 7 SAUM is good to a mile+ on steel and longEr hunting shots.

@Steel head Does a 7 SAUM have enough ass to push the 190’s effectively? Is that what you’re using to shoot them at 2880ish? Anyone shot elk with it?

Interesting, 280 AI is what I almost built but decided to just do a 7saum instead on one of my short action Bighorns and skip the long action for now. I may do a long action mausingfield to do the 300 Norma later but 7 SAUM is good to a mile+ on steel and longEr hunting shots.

@Steel head Does a 7 SAUM have enough ass to push the 190’s effectively? Is that what you’re using to shoot them at 2880ish? Anyone shot elk with it?
    I had them up into 2900+ in my previous barrel without pressure signs but I’m sure pressure was there.
    2880 is good even in the hottest days here.
    I’m using 28” barrels and R26.
    Most of my brass is above 15 reloads so far.
    I’m not sure I’d hunt with a target bullet but 190 grains at 2700-2900 is nothing to sneeze at.
    The 190’s really fit better in a long action.
    I single feed them in my short action and mag feed 168 and 180’s.

I can not speak for longevity or likes / dislikes. As it stands I have ADG, Gunwerks and some Norma 300 SAUM that I resized to 7 SAUM
    Its been said on other forums that ADG makes GW brass, if true I doubt I will have a problem with those two.

The 10 Norma I have been using are still solid performers for what little they have been asked of. 40 more in reserve.
    This weekend I should have produced some results with RL25 and 175 ELDX but the reported ammo shortage is apparently not true here as every lane was full.

@verdugo60 if you need a modified case

I had them up into 2900+ in my previous barrel without pressure signs but I’m sure pressure was there.
    2880 is good even in the hottest days here.
    I’m using 28” barrels and R26.
    Most of my brass is above 15 reloads so far.
    I’m not sure I’d hunt with a target bullet but 190 grains at 2700-2900 is nothing to sneeze at.
    The 190’s really fit better in a long action.
    I single feed them in my short action and mag feed 168 and 180’s.

Yes, low and slow is my new mantra for calibers I reload for. If things get hot, wet or dirty it just helps avoid problems (that’s what she said)?

Well crap, just ordered a box of the 190’s to get my Scheels order over $500 for a promotion lol. Maybe I’ll single load them but I really want a hunting/long range load as a do-all.

The 175 gr Nosler Accubond LR might be a good one to try if they’re not inflating their BC‘S. Good bonded bullet I could hopefully mag feed.

Yes, low and slow is my new mantra for calibers I reload for. If things get hot, wet or dirty it just helps avoid problems (that’s what she said)?

Well crap, just ordered a box of the 190’s to get my Scheels order over $500 for a promotion lol. Maybe I’ll single load them but I really want a hunting/long range load as a do-all.

The 175 gr Nosler Accubond LR might be a good one to try if they’re not inflating their BC‘S. Good bonded bullet I could hopefully mag feed.
    Probably all but maybe the 195EOL 7mm bullets run well in short mags.

168 classic hunters are on the lands at approximately 2.83 oal in my standard 7 saum chamber.