• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which is the better deal?

KitShickers

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
Sep 6, 2019
North Carolina
Im in the market for a mpvo in the 3-18Xish range for a 18" 6.5 Grendel AR15. Im trying to take advantage of some labor day sales to get it done. I have found what I think are some good deals but would love to hear from someone who has used two or three of these options. I have it narrowed down to these:
Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44mm from Optics Planet for $576
Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18x50mm from Midway for $585
Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50mm from Cameraland for $765

Id really like to stay under $600 but Ive heard great things about the Meopta. But I have to wonder if the UHD glass of the Athlon is as good or better. Love the dual locking turrets on the Athlon. The Athlon seems like a steal at that price but I don't see nearly as much about that model vs the 4.5-30x version. Which is the best deal for the money and why?

I don't know about the meopta.

I do know the ETR at that price is pretty damn good. I like my athlons better than my vortexs as long as they're in the same class.

I don't know about the meopta.

I do know the ETR at that price is pretty damn good. I like my athlons better than my vortexs as long as they're in the same class.
Yeah the price seems great. Do you own a Ares ETR? Can you confirm if the elevation turret is locking? I see "locking turrets" on the Athlon site, but I also see "locking windage turret" in the specs, implying only the windage locks.

Ares ETR 3-18 is an excellent choice at that price. I have one on a 308 and it has been perfect. Glass is subjective but it seems a notch above my PST Gen II.

I'm pretty sure there's no locking turret for elevation.

Reactions: KitShickers
Im in the market for a mpvo in the 3-18Xish range for a 18" 6.5 Grendel AR15. Im trying to take advantage of some labor day sales to get it done. I have found what I think are some good deals but would love to hear from someone who has used two or three of these options. I have it narrowed down to these:
Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44mm from Optics Planet for $576
Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18x50mm from Midway for $585
Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50mm from Cameraland for $765

Id really like to stay under $600 but Ive heard great things about the Meopta. But I have to wonder if the UHD glass of the Athlon is as good or better. Love the dual locking turrets on the Athlon. The Athlon seems like a steal at that price but I don't see nearly as much about that model vs the 4.5-30x version. Which is the best deal for the money and why?
Whatever you buy, don't buy it from Optics SCAMet... They're a shithole company that doesn't give a shit about their customers.

Another option in your price range...

These new Viper HD's are better than the PST-II scopes...Better turrets, better glass, etc... And use code: VTX12 to get it 12% off.

Use code: VTX12 and it drops the price down to $879, and it's a better scope than the PST II.

Or this option...But you'd have to backorder it, but it would be worth it...Hell of a lot of scope for the money.

Whatever you buy, don't buy it from Optics SCAMet... They're a shithole company that doesn't give a shit about their customers.

Another option in your price range...

These new Viper HD's are better than the PST-II scopes...Better turrets, better glass, etc... And use code: VTX12 to get it 12% off.

Use code: VTX12 and it drops the price down to $879, and it's a better scope than the PST II.

Or this option...But you'd have to backorder it, but it would be worth it...Hell of a lot of scope for the money.

Man that HD 3-15 is tempting. But I really want a MIL tree reticle on a DMR.

Man that HD 3-15 is tempting. But I really want a MIL tree reticle on a DMR.
The one I linked you to is a MIL reticle... The VMR-3...

That said, on a DMR rig, you'll want FFP for quick and reliable ranging and keeping your stadia scale accurate with your target image.

If you want a MIL tree, the Viper HD 5-25x50 VMR-4 I linked you to is also FFP, so is the Burris XTR-3i, for not that much more with the sales code. You were looking at one for $765, and $879 is only eating a few bologna sandwiches away from a better optic... Send a DM to @Euro.Connor (at EuroOptic) and he might can get you a really good price on the Viper HD or the Burris...Closer to your price range.

Trust me, you'll want the 5-25 on that 6.5 Grendel for shooting groups, and longer ranges. My hunting scopes are typically 6-24x50's. I have one 3.5-18x50 that I use on my main rig, but it's a Kahels K318i CCW/RSW SKMR3 MIL. That's a phenomenal scope, but a bit outside your price range of the others you listed. But if you ever decide to splurge on a really nice precision bolt-action hunting rifle scope, that would be the one I'd recommend.

The one I linked you to is a MIL reticle... The VMR-3...

That said, on a DMR rig, you'll want FFP for quick and reliable ranging and keeping your stadia scale accurate with your target image.

If you want a MIL tree, the Viper HD 5-25x50 VMR-4 I linked you to is also FFP, so is the Burris XTR-3i, for not that much more with the sales code. You were looking at one for $765, and $879 is only eating a few bologna sandwiches away from a better optic... Send a DM to @Euro.Connor (at EuroOptic) and he might can get you a really good price on the Viper HD or the Burris...Closer to your price range.

Trust me, you'll want the 5-25 on that 6.5 Grendel for shooting groups, and longer ranges. My hunting scopes are typically 6-24x50's. I have one 3.5-18x50 that I use on my main rig, but it's a Kahels K318i CCW/RSW SKMR3 MIL. That's a phenomenal scope, but a bit outside your price range of the others you listed. But if you ever decide to splurge on a really nice precision bolt-action hunting rifle scope, that would be the one I'd recommend.
Are the Viper HD made in the philippines?

Are the Viper HD made in the philippines?
Yes, with Japanese HD glass. I talked to @Scott_at_Vortex just last week, and confirmed. He's a really nice guy, if you have questions, i'm sure he'd be happy to answer them for you.

I have one of the Viper HD 5-25x50 FFP VMR-4 scopes, and it's quite solid for the money, especially if you catch it on the sale price like it is right now at EuroOptic. Under $1000 it's going to be hard to beat...And I've owned a LOT of scopes from cheap Chinese shit, all the way up to $5,000 thermals.

A friend has that ETR 3-18. It's his favorite scope behind his Swarovski. I like this ETR too and I can't fault it.

I've had the ETR 4.5-30 and have a Meopta Optika 6 5-30. Going off memory I think the Meopta has slightly better glass than that 4.5-30 but the turrets fall behind the ETR's I've had. I have a ETR 15-60 SFP target scope right now, the glass is very good in it and right up there with the Meopta, but the ETR has superior turrets.

I likely won't buy a Meopta again and would be most persuaded to buy a ETR again instead.

Also have a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50. Won't buy one of them again either. The turrets feel on it are a full three steps behind the ETR and glass about the same. If it weren't as lightweight as it is(specifically bought it for a certain rifle), as well as having daylight bright illume, I would have sold it a long time ago.