• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which RRS Tripod and head

harry_x1

Khalsa
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Looking for advice on which RRS tripod set up to buy. Budget is not a constraint .. I use a Swarovski spotting scope and need something to mount the scope on. Prefer max height so as to avoid bending forward while spotting.. I have also seen some new products from RRS which allow for shooting while standing.. if same tripod can be used, then that is a good to have feature as well. Looking for advice from experienced users on which exact set up of tripod, tripod head I should buy. The rifle I use is a AI AXMC (338 Lapua).... thanks for your time and attention

If you want the taller ones as stated in your post go with a 34L or if you want to drop a pound go with the 24L. As far as your head it will differ on the percentage you shoot vs spot. What side of the shooting sport you are in, hunting, competition, range days,etc.

thanks for the advice.. currently tripod is mostly used for spotting on range. I am shooting with an AXMC 338 lapua.. trying to develop precise loads so that I can shoot out at long ranges with precision. My medium term goal is also to participate in prs matches and long distance shooting matches...thanks again

Go with the 3 leg. (One less leg to deploy, and also a little more sturdy) I am 6’ and for spotting in the razor I have to deploy it about 6” from max hight to get a good eye sight picture and same when I mount the Sako 338 on it.
Yeah, get a 3 legged tripod.
I thought all tripods were three legged hence TRIpod? :)

What you mean is three sectioned.

is this the tripod set up you are referring to (link below)? Will the anvil ball head it comes with, allow for mounting my Swarovski scope ? (In case you know).... thanks for your advice

There are obviously several ways you can mount your devices to your tripod head. You need an adapter from the binos to the tripod head if you want a non-strap Mount. The very Best adapter in my opinion is the one offered by Swaro. It mounts directly to the Really Right Stuff Anvil 30 or and dovetail clamp.

The image below shows my Swaro 15x56 mounted to a Gray Ops gamer plate. If you zoom in you can see it. But 95% of the time, I just mount it direct.

BA171BDA-C2DD-4B06-9B7D-B77C64D430AE.jpeg

Here is the adapter and how easily it works:

Note that a lot of people (myself included on a second set) use the outdoor edge bino mount. It is about $50 bucks cheaper than the Swaro but not if you need to then put a RRS adapter plate on the bottom. It is a very distance 2nd to the Swaro mount. I have the Vortex at the bottom of some junk bin. Like all screw in mounts they can be a pain to take on and off. Spend the $$ on a good mount.

Below is the link to the thread I did comparing the Really Right Stuff heads.

I do a ton of spotting as well as shooting off the Anvil 30.. It makes a easy to carry tripod because of how compact the setup is.

I used to hunt on the lighter tripods, now my RRS 33 goes not only to matches but is my go to for hunting.. I cut weight everywhere else to offset the extra weight of the tripod. It is just so damn stable; It goes from spotting duty to shooting duty without missing a beat.

Last edited:
I own 2 RRS 34’s one with and Anvil and one with a BH55. BH55 is smoother and is better for spotting. Hard to beat the Anvil for shooting. Comes with a dove tail and pic mount clamp. Very handy for multiple platforms. The standard height 34 is just about perfect for a 6ft’ish guy using a straight spotter or binos and not having to hunch over. Any taller probably should get a long. I couldn’t tell the difference between the 33 and 34 but chose the 34 because it’s about 6” shorter. 34 with and Anvil makes for the an incredibly SMALL, light weight and stable platform.

thanks for the advice.. currently tripod is mostly used for spotting on range. I am shooting with an AXMC 338 lapua.. trying to develop precise loads so that I can shoot out at long ranges with precision. My medium term goal is also to participate in prs matches and long distance shooting matches...thanks again

Something to consider - you're not going to be able to (or want to) use that 338 in a PRS match.

Reactions: harry_x1
your comment on PRS matches is interesting ... pls explain as this is a goal (entering and shooting in a PRS match)

The PRS has a limit of .30 bore or smaller, and no more than 3,200 FPS muzzle velocity. So a 300WM is legal as long as it's under that 3200FPS speed limit, but a .338 isn't allowed in PRS matches, as it's bigger than .30. Additionally, shooting 200 rounds of 338LM over a weekend for a match (assuming it was even allowed) is *not* going to be a fun or cheap weekend.

PRS matches are dominated by short action 6 and 6.5mm cartridges - 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher/BR/BRA, 6.5 and 6x47 Lapua, etc.

The PRS has a limit of .30 bore or smaller, and no more than 3,200 FPS muzzle velocity. So a 300WM is legal as long as it's under that 3200FPS speed limit, but a .338 isn't allowed in PRS matches, as it's bigger than .30. Additionally, shooting 200 rounds of 338LM over a weekend for a match (assuming it was even allowed) is *not* going to be a fun or cheap weekend.

PRS matches are dominated by short action 6 and 6.5mm cartridges - 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher/BR/BRA, 6.5 and 6x47 Lapua, etc.

thx for the clarification as I do have a .300 WM for shooting 1200+ and a 6.5 ( PRS 300-1100/1200) and a .308 AR10 for fun trigger time.

the tripod would be used for everyday spotting and hopefully (if I get the nerve) PRS.

this said, I’m now leaning towards the RRS 33.

Reactions: RS14 and harry_x1
thx for the clarification as I do have a .300 WM for shooting 1200+ and a 6.5 ( PRS 300-1100/1200) and a .308 AR10 for fun trigger time.

the tripod would be used for everyday spotting and hopefully (if I get the nerve) PRS.

this said, I’m now leaning towards the RRS 33.

I've got a 33 with an Anvil ball head, and it's hands down my favorite tripod setup I have ever shot from. I use mine a lot for coyote hunting right now due to the flexibility of it.

That said, don't feel like you have to run out and get a tripod for PRS matches, especially if you're planning to do matches in the southeast. They're nice to have, but you definitely don't *have* to have one.

There are obviously several ways you can mount your devices to your tripod head. You need an adapter from the binos to the tripod head if you want a non-strap Mount. The very Best adapter in my opinion is the one offered by Swaro. It mounts directly to the Really Right Stuff Anvil 30 or and dovetail clamp.

The image below shows my Swaro 15x56 mounted to a Gray Ops gamer plate. If you zoom in you can see it. But 95% of the time, I just mount it direct.

View attachment 7202073

Note that a lot of people (myself included on a second set) use the outdoor edge bino mount. It is about $50 bucks cheaper than the Swaro but not if you need to then put a RRS adapter plate on the bottom. It is a very distance 2nd to the Swaro mount. I have the Vortex at the bottom of some junk bin. Like all screw in mounts they can be a pain to take on and off. Spend the $$ on a good mount.

I do a ton of spotting as well as shooting off the Anvil 30.. It makes a easy to carry tripod because of how compact the setup is.

I used to hunt on the lighter tripods, now my RRS 33 goes not only to matches but is my go to for hunting.. I cut weight everywhere else to offset the extra weight of the tripod. It is just so damn stable; It goes from spotting duty to shooting duty without missing a beat.

Anybody know what Kestrel Mount this is?
Thanks.

View attachment 7202073

like your setup ... wondering if it is using this Grey Ops plate? What is the Kestral mount? How is it mounted to the Grey Ops plate?

1576793351623.jpeg

It’s modified with a 1/4-20 all-thread tapped into the gray opps plate.

That saiD, I never use it.

well it looks great ... I use a Kestral drop and not the gold plated 5700 ... that said it’s a nice looking set up. Well worth the perhaps$3500.00 it would take to duplicate. Damn if this hobby doesn’t put me into the poor house.

I think I’ll purchase a couple thousand rounds instead!

I went with the RRS 24L and Anvil 30 from Mile High. I use it for both hunting and range shooting so I wanted it’s a bit lighter to carry. Super sturdy. Have no issue mounting my 23lb 6.5CM with zero flex. Glad I went this direction. Great for both glassing and shooting.
26B2B6A6-2E65-4642-947E-379D38975424.jpeg

as far as mounts for my optics, I went with the Tall Outdoorsman mount and bino adaptor. Great product and well built.

After this forum convinced me that I need a $400 bipod, I decide to say YOLO and spent $1400 on a tripod that everyone raves about. In this case, it was a TFCT-34 (Series 3 four-section legs with Anvil-30 head). Is it worth it? Time will tell, but the first impression did not disappoint. I'm 5'6" and it appears plenty tall at full extension, and collapses down into a tidy bundle. It also supports a 21lb AXMC without complaint, even with some less-than-optimal leg/foot placement.

It's damn good that there is no such thing as a hexapod, or else I'd be spending something like $12000 on one of those next month :p

For me, it was as simple as Made In America. Gotta walk my talk, after all. Hopefully, if enough people behave the same way, these two chuckleheads will be able to find meaningful employment someday:

View attachment 7207737View attachment 7207740
I will say this, the cheaper the tripod to get, the more I see them fail. From the hide cup to our matches, leg locks etc.. saving $300 on a set of legs that stops your single $1,500 match investment seems penny fullish.. especially if you are planing on shooting multiple a year and hunting.. Honestly, you get what you pay for.

Last edited: