• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which trainer to get?

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
I'd like to get a trainer and would like some input on what to get....I'm thinking a CZ452 with some decent scope that has turrets. Any other recommendations? I'm a right hander that shoots left handed since I do everything left handed except write so the Savage with thumbhole is out.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Which trainer to get?

LOVE my Cooper. VERY accurate with RWS-50

gun024.jpg

gun022.jpg

gun023.jpg

To my way of thinking a 22 trainer should be a cheap under study of your main centerfire rifle. It should be fairly accurate with relatively cheap ammo. It should have a shooting sling and bipod. It would be great if it weighed, balanced , and was the same length as your cf rifle. It wont be exact unless you are willing to spend alot of money and probably wouldn't be exact anyway- no stock to fit 22 action, mag and action smaller, etc. If you want to switch between rifles it will help if weight, trigger pull, stock design, and slings are similar. I have a CZ 452 Varmint with tactical bolt knob, good trigger, bipod , sling, stock pack. I glass bedded it and installed pillars, put on Pic rail, put over travel screw in trigger guard. It is shorter and lighter than my SPR but shoots well and is set up similar without costing a fortune for McMillan stock and heavy aftermarket barrel.
david

I'm a lefty that shoots righty rifles so why not get a righty rifle and just shoot it? It is very quick in prone and just takes some time with the positions. 40x was my choice and I am very happy.
Chad

Really, it has allot to do with your intended purpose and budget. I chose the Cooper because I shoot some benchrest matches and I got a great deal on it from a Hide memeber. I have always had the creed, "get the BEST you can afford and take it one step further". Like they say you only cry once. That being said, I was just about to pull the trigger on a CZ 453. I have shot against these and they WILL SHOOT. Better than any Savage or Marlin, etc. Get the varmint model and a GOOD scope, don't go cheap. Buy quality match Ammo and you will be good to go. Now if you have a big budget...that's a whole other thread.

I think in precisely the opposite direction. I have a Savage blued sporter barrel MKII with the factory plastic stock.

NOT a BR gun, but reliable, reliable, reliable.

I have a cheapo Tasco Varmint/Target 6-24x42 Midlot scope on it ($80).

IMHO, with the .22LR, the accuracy is in the cartridge. The performance parameters of the cartridge make it actually kinda hard to make it shoot badly. Something has to be wrong with the gun for this to happen. IMHO, 9 times out of 10, there's a problem with the crown.

Hey, if you want to go top drawer with your .22LR trainer, have at it. But my economy secondhand rifle has spent a decade training maybe 70 or more youth marksmen, several of whom (6 or 7 or so) later used more precise firearms to earn their Rimfire Distinguished Expert badges.

First build the shooter. Then equip them according to their skills level.

Greg

Like Buzzsaw said, I too have the Cooper 57M which is my trainer. While it is a little more expensive than other 22's I felt spend the money once & don't look back. Of course Buzzsaw lost his AR15 to his daughter so all he may have left is his Cooper!

Maxwell

My intent is to improve my skills. I want to be able to practice and build confidence.....I want to be able to practice practice and practice some more for cheap. Improving and honing my trigger pull. I don't want to blow a bunch of money on it but I don't want to get crap.....based on reading and listening the CZ452 Varmint or Ultra Lux seem to be the ticket for a reasonable price. Of course I won't skimp on the optics.

CZ 452 Varmint.
Remove the barrel tension screw, install a piller and bed the action. Great shooting little rifle.

If you are going to use it as a trainer with scope, don't bother with the sights.