which Trimble Nomad ?

I'm gearing up for the next Ex LRR class at gunsite. I hear people are using Trimble Nomads mostly. This is all new to me.....but it seems like I'm missing all the fun so I'm doing the Gunsite class.
Looking at the trimble nomads I see 900L and 1050 L. Prices are so close......are their features one has over the other? Spending that much coin I might as well get which ever one is best.
Opinions and advice appreciated......money donations also accepted:))

Thanks gang,
Jim

You really want to start with the ballistic engine you're going to run on it and then based on the software's operating system requirements just make certain the device has the specs to run the software. Nomads run Windows Mobile so it only makes sense to run a solver that is best compatible with Windows, such as Field Firing Solutions or Patagonia Cold Bore. If you decide that's the route you are going I would suggest having the most processing power you can afford (for speed) the internal GPS (rather than a card) and Bluetooth along with the camera. The AA battery boot is also good to have as a backup in the event you are in the back-country and don't have a way to charge the lithium ion primary.

Cory uses FFS in the XLR class and either the 900 or 1050 will work. You can find some good deals on Nomads on eBay or just shop around and buy a new one. Get the serial boot so it can interface with a LRF and both units have bluetooth. I currently run FFS on both a Nomad and Juno with both having their advantages disadvantages. Attended the XLR class in April 2016 and will be taking the September class as well. Get the unit and software as early as possible so you have some time to familiarize yourself with it prior to the class.The Lex Talus website has very good videos on using the software and Cory has some as well.

This information may be helpful. The 1050L had an upgrade to its CPU speed and a slightly better GPS fix precision. However, it also came with Windows Mobile 6.5 and we found with testing that the Delta V software ran slightly slower for some functions. We wrote an extensive review and Trimble tried the Windows Mobile 6.1 operating system to see if this would eliminate the slow areas in the program. It did and Trimble therefore offers the 1050 with the WM6.1 but does not actually publish the part number for this in their catalog. For the 1050L with a serial connector the part number is NMDLNG-121-01. If you are going to run the Delta V on a 1050L, be sure to use that part number to order the Nomad.

Having said that, if you have a 1050 with the WM6.5 OS or have an opportunity to buy a 1050L at a decent price, I wouldn't worry about it. The process lags that were noticeable were longer by only a few 1/10ths of a second. We could notice it but I'm not sure most users would. But we were surprised that the program didn't run noticeably faster since the CPU was 20% faster. When we found that the program actually ran slightly slower here and there, we weren't happy and worked with Trimble for a resolution. Trimble engineers responded with a fix. Good company, Trimble.

Blaine Fields
Lex Talus Corporation