• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Which vibrator and media???

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
Call me old fashion, I'm shopping to replace my old Lyman med. sized vibrator case cleaner. Not ready for stainless steel or sonic yet. Which do ya'll use and what is the difference in corn cob and walnut media?

Re: Which vibrator and media???

I think a dual 6 volt 12 incher would be just fine for you Buzz
smile.gif

Get a Thumblers Model B High Speed, 5 pounds of Stainless Steel Media, Dawn soap, and some Lemmishine and rock on with super clean brass.

Are any of you using a vibratory tumbler with stainless media ? The only person I know of who is using Stainless Media had to buy a rotary tumbler to use it and they don't come cheap .

If your going to replace your Vibratory tumbler with another vibratory look at the Thumler's UV-18 or check Ebay for some used industrial tumblers .

you have to get a new tumbler ... yes the start up is a bit more ... but you will not be sorry ... I had some old lake city .308 that looked like crap .. I tumbled it in my lymans tumbler for 6 hours and it was cleaner ..but was not bright and the primer pockets were still dirty. I decided to just do it ... 4 hours later in the Stainless they were showroom clean ... believe the pictures ... it is true. Honestly it will be the last system you buy... get the delux media seperator as well ... cry once and be done...

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

The reason to go with stainless is not so much the shine on the outside, which looks fabulous, but the shine on the inside and inside the primer pockets. That has to lead to better consistency.

Carter you are correct ... that it is what I was speaking of ... I was not clear. The Primer Pocket was absolutly clean... it was amazing.

Brian, I have to kick start mine, you should know that.

Back to post , working on another rifle/scope build, don't want to spend a shit load of $$ on a tumbler, etc. I will look at the S.S. set up but for now what type media works best? I guess any of the vibrating tumblers (oxymoron)...what?... anyway , would work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian, I have to kick start mine, you should know that.

Back to post , working on another rifle/scope build, don't want to spend a shit load of $$ on a tumbler, etc. I will look at the S.S. set up but for now what type media works best? I guess any of the vibrating tumblers (oxymoron)...what?... anyway , would work. </div></div>

I use crushed walnut media with some polish in it (I use Turtle Wax chrome polish) . You can go to Petsmart and buy it in 50 pound bags for pretty cheap . I think they use it for Hamster or Lizard cages . Just ask around and they will show you . I think it was something like 20 bucks for 50 pounds of it .

i generally dont use a vibrator to the media, but i'll play. If I was to use a vibrator it'd be a purple hummingbird and the media would be FOX news I suppose

I use corn cob media for the sole fact it comes generally cheap. The only reason I tumble is to remove any dirt or contaminants that could harm my precious reloading dies. As far as the inside of the case - there is no evidence that cleaning will lead to more consistency or accuracy.

Just tumble to remove the junk on the outside of the case and inside of the neck. Then resize, load and go shoot!

I've got walnut and corncob mixed up in a plain old Lyman vibratory tumbler.
I drizzle a little Liquid Glass car polish in it about every third time.

Just checked out PetSmart online for crushed walnut shells and they do have them. It's by Katee and it's used for bird litter, haven't used any yet but going to get some. It's a lot cheaper than buying a gallon size container at the local gun shop. Thanks Michael N for the tip! PetSmart is always having sales, might what to watch the local paper.

7 lbs. = $9.99
25 lbs. = $21.99

I agree that you WILL NOT be sorry with the stainless. You'll just end up paying twice.. Take a browse thru the stainless media thread and see if that convinces you.

Obviously the final choice is yours but I don't regret it in the least.