Who owns debris found on their property after a storm?

Dispatcher91

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2023
Florida
I have looked around and found that property owners are responsible for cleaning up storm debris left on their properties. I cannot reasonably hunt down the owner of a 1974 pink porcelain toilet and demand they come to remove it. OK I get that. No problem at all. What if (this is 100% a thought only I could never be this lucky) my neighbors shed, or a shed from miles away ends up on my back 40. Inside there is a gun safe, a huge Liberty gun safe. HUGE. Reloading equipment, cases of 208 grain 308 Bullets, brand new factory 300 AAC brass still in the origional packaging, several boxes marked: CCI 41 Primers 10,000 Count, and a 50' Boston Whaler which is 2hy the shed floated. Do I get to keep it?

Asking for a friend.

Inside there is a gun safe, a huge Liberty gun safe. HUGE. Reloading equipment, cases of 208 grain 308 Bullets, brand new factory 300 AAC brass still in the origional packaging, several boxes marked: CCI 41 Primers 10,000 Count, and a 50' Boston Whaler which is 2hy the shed floated. Do I get to keep it?
Use your backhoe to protect the valuable contents of the Boston Whaler in an undisclosed location away from the snoopy folks.
Advertise the boat in the ads of the smallest towns weekly newspaper saying that it washed ashore on your back 40. Be sure to ask for real small font and include that you have microfiche pictures you can share for proof. If, after 6 months, no one has claimed it, file for salvage title.

Beware, though, I don't think I've ever seen primer boxes marked as 10,000 count...all of my boxes say 5000. Those might be some nefarious shit sorta like Lebanese pagers or something from the brains of MACV-SOG designed for the Eldest Son.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Sorry pal... That 50' Boston Whaler... That's gonna require documentation from the state to even utilize, so you'll have to figure out that one on your own. All that other stuff...

What stuff?

I have looked around and found that property owners are responsible for cleaning up storm debris left on their properties. I cannot reasonably hunt down the owner of a 1974 pink porcelain toilet and demand they come to remove it. OK I get that. No problem at all. What if (this is 100% a thought only I could never be this lucky) my neighbors shed, or a shed from miles away ends up on my back 40. Inside there is a gun safe, a huge Liberty gun safe. HUGE. Reloading equipment, cases of 208 grain 308 Bullets, brand new factory 300 AAC brass still in the origional packaging, several boxes marked: CCI 41 Primers 10,000 Count, and a 50' Boston Whaler which is 2hy the shed floated. Do I get to keep it?

Asking for a friend.
What a douche!

You aint gonna find shit!

Mike

Reactions: spot1960
I'm not sure about other property (household items, etc.), but I do know FL Tree law (FS 163.045). As long as your tree is "alive," whatever leaves, twigs, branches etc. that fall on someone else's property become that property owner's responsibility. It could even be the case that the tree is uprooted from storm winds. As long as it was alive at the beginning, it becomes the property owner's responsibility on which it falls. Only if the
tree is dead does it become the original owner's responsibility to get rid of it and replace it before it damages someone else's property;

That said, the *other* property owner has the right to trim any branches of your tree that cross over to their property line back to that line, but no farther back.

I'm not sure about other property (household items, etc.), but I do know FL Tree law (FS 163.045). As long as your tree is "alive," whatever leaves, twigs, branches etc. that fall on someone else's property become that property owner's responsibility. It could even be the case that the tree is uprooted from storm winds. As long as it was alive at the beginning, it becomes the property owner's responsibility on which it falls. Only if the
tree is dead does it become the original owner's responsibility to get rid of it and replace it before it damages someone else's property;

That said, the *other* property owner has the right to trim any branches of your tree that cross over to their property line back to that line, but no farther back.

Florida law maintains that you, the property owner are responsible for making a "reasonable" attempt to clean up yourself after a storm. After Ian there was crap everwhere. Siding, roofing, furniture, you name it it was everywhere. No one botherd trying to find out what belonged to who. If you saw your x,y,z out by the road in a pile of other flotsam and jestsam someone set out for waste crews it was just how it was. It never is a fully stocked Liberty safe. Maybe the cardboard box, Styrofoam, and plastic crap it was shippedin end up in your yard. I would even imagine there are provisions for those who cannot physically do it, and cannot afford someone else to assist, that help would be provided.

Like Trump when asked by Hill-Dog about him not paying taxes. It's not a loophole, it's just the law.

Florida law maintains that you, the property owner are responsible for making a "reasonable" attempt to clean up yourself after a storm. After Ian there was crap everwhere. Siding, roofing, furniture, you name it it was everywhere. No one botherd trying to find out what belonged to who. If you saw your x,y,z out by the road in a pile of other flotsam and jestsam someone set out for waste crews it was just how it was. It never is a fully stocked Liberty safe. Maybe the cardboard box, Styrofoam, and plastic crap it was shippedin end up in your yard. I would even imagine there are provisions for those who cannot physically do it, and cannot afford someone else to assist, that help would be provided.

Like Trump when asked by Hill-Dog about him not paying taxes. It's not a loophole, it's just the law.

I don't have a problem with the above. I'll certainly clean up my own property, no matter from where the debris came. And, hopefully, there will be no debris that originated from my property that falls on other's property. I would have secured all that before the storm. Only things like what happened to my next door neighbor might cause damage to others. In his case, some of the metal roofing on his sun porch started to shear off. Fortunately, it stayed "contained" on his own property.