• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes "Who Would Put A Nightforce On An AR-15 ?"

PistonPete

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Somewhere in the desert S.W.
that is what one of my shooting friends at the range jokingly said on Thursday, how many here have a Nightforce scope on their AR type rifle/carbine ?

apparently no one at our range have a Nightforce scope of any kind, when i told one of my friends, "look at my new toy", he looked at it, then told others to come look at it, there was soon a "crowd" (about 7) come to look thru it, they all were amazed at the clarity and the reticle, several said they never saw a Mil-Dot that looked like that one, my scope is a NightForce 3.5-15x50 NXS Tactical Illuminated Reticle Riflescope, that i bought NIB from a member of this forum.

i bore sighted it at home then to the range, after a five shot sighting in, i shot a 100 yd. 20 round 2.5 inch group off the bench with only a GG&G Bi-Pod, not bad considering my best group with same rifle and those formerly owned great<span style="font-weight: bold"> "Counter Sniper" </span>scopes were 6+ inches.

Re: "Who Would Put A Nightforce On An AR-15 ?"

doesnt sound strange to me. I see guys with US optics, IOR, and Zeiss scopes on there AR's. I dont see why a Nightforce would be any different. I think Lowlite did a US Optic 10x review on an AR-10? Personlly dont have the flow to afford any of these but would put one on any rifle repeater or bolt.

Wow, its almost like watching your child grow up and start making good choices...I am so proud...just think where you were a year ago, kind of makes your heart melt. Good job on your purchase, now we just need to work on your groups some!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> that is what one of my shooting friends at the range jokingly said on Thursday, how many here have a Nightforce scope on their AR type rifle/carbine ?

apparently no one at our range have a Nightforce scope of any kind, when i told one of my friends, "look at my new toy", he looked at it, then told others to come look at it, there was soon a "crowd" (about 7) come to look thru it, they all were amazed at the clarity and the reticle, several said they never saw a Mil-Dot that looked like that one, my scope is a NightForce 3.5-15x50 NXS Tactical Illuminated Reticle Riflescope, that i bought NIB from a member of this forum.

i bore sighted it at home then to the range, after a five shot sighting in, i shot a 100 yd. 20 round 2.5 inch group off the bench with only a GG&G Bi-Pod, not bad considering my best group with same rifle and those formerly owned great<span style="font-weight: bold"> "Counter Sniper" </span>scopes were 6+ inches.

</div></div>

So now you admit CS is shit? Glad to see you get into a Nightforce. I think Nightforce are great for ARs, used to have one on my AR10. A 2.5-10x32mm NXS would be perfect on a 20" AR15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, its almost like watching your child grow up and start making good choices...I am so proud...just think where you were a year ago, kind of makes your heart melt. Good job on your purchase, now we just need to work on your groups some! </div></div>

You are just a big OL softie under that harsh outter shell.

I'll bet it's a function of cash flow. I mounted a 5.5-22x56 on my AR-10; I didn't think it was so strange. It's a lot of glass, but I didn't plan on humping it through the woods.

My next precision scope will be a Nightforce, especially if I a better upper than can take advantage. They've got great options for the precision AR crowd. The Mil/Mil combo on a 6.5G above sounds like a SICK setup.

<span style="font-weight: bold">3.5-15x50 NXS w/ NP-R1 Reticle

6.5 Grendel</span>

65Grendelpic8-1.jpg

I have a 2.5-10x32 z-stop mil/mil on my LWRC and my Team match partner has a 3.5-15x50 on his LWRC. He is so damn fast i dont even try to keep up.
Besides, he's the "tactical Trunk Ninja"

I'd love to get a Nightforce NSX for my 700P but I just can't afford it. Would I like one? Hell mothefuckin yes. Can I afford one right now? No...

If I were serious about my AR's, yeah I would put one on... Why not have the best glass for the money on your guns?? If you can afford it, more power to you. If you can't afford it, don't lose sleep over it.

Not all of us have as deep pockets as others on here... don't let other set the bar for you.

NXS 1-4x with FC-2 reticle - great setup.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dtwnRXmaQb0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dtwnRXmaQb0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You are talking to a audience that puts S&B's and McM A5's on 22lr's.......what's your point?

You must be a god at your range if they've never seen NF and you show up with your unobtanium AR with a NXS on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are talking to a audience that puts S&B's and McM A5's on 22lr's.......what's your point?

You must be a god at your range if they've never seen NF and you show up with your unobtanium AR with a NXS on it.

</div></div>

you left out the fact that its a 499
Putting high quality optics on a precision AR platform seems to make sense.... high end optics are one of the main tools to get the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you left out the fact that its a 499
</div></div>

I was playing nice.....

It doesn't qualify as epic until the rediculous huge blue letters come out....

EDIT: Who else is with USMCj and I on some pics of PPs new lead slinger?

SOBR, this range must be in AZ, he sent me a message asking to meet him because he's local and wanted to discuss why I hate him, all because of my SIG line.
Also pics or its not real.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't qualify as epic until the rediculous huge blue letters come out.... </div></div>
Blue and Red... lol

<span style="color: #3333FF"> <span style="font-size: 26pt">NOW</span> </span> <span style="color: #FF6666"><span style="font-size: 26pt">ITS </span></span><span style="color: #3333FF"> <span style="font-size: 26pt">EPICK</span> </span>

***improper spelling purposely inserted to validate epicness of thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of those in favor of pics?!

Me.... </div></div>
Also waiting for pics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of those in favor of pics?!
</div></div>

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"> <span style="color: #3333FF">Aye</span> </span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Pete, lets see a picture of your new setup and some of those groups. </div></div>

good idea, i'll try to get some up soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And where are the Counter Sniper scopes now? </div></div>

if i returned them personally, they would be up Franks ass !!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would and did, 2.5-10x24 on a RRA 16 inch DMRish inspired creation. And it flat out rocks.

LR30, I'm diggin that Grendel. Sabre barrel? </div></div>

Yeah, Its the Sabre 18" 1-7.5 Twist. I removed the Sabre Gill Brake and put on a Smith Ent. Vortex, its looks mean. I am surprised how well the Sabre barrels shoot.

I added a Magpul FDE AFG grip, Vortex F. Hider, Geisselle trigger, Accushot Monopod, Accushot Atlas for some recent upgrades.

And it shoots, trust me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And where are the Counter Sniper scopes now? </div></div>

if i returned them personally, they would be up Franks ass !!!!!!! </div></div>

Do you hear that? Thats the Ban hammer coming down on your head....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And where are the Counter Sniper scopes now? </div></div>

if i returned them personally, they would be up Franks ass !!!!!!! </div></div>

Do you hear that? Thats the Ban hammer coming down on your head.... </div></div>
Yeah, when I read what Pete wrote, I thought, is he retarded?