Why are all scope reticles black?

JM4590

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
Midland,Va
Does any scope manufacture make a white reticle? If not, why not? I get that many scopes have the ability to turn the reticle to green or red, but why not just a plain white crosshair reticle. Educate me. I shoot BPCR silhouette and my reticle blends into the silhouette and leaves me with no point of hold. I need a white reticle for ref on the black silhouettes.

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr
Does any scope manufacture make a white reticle? If not, why not? I get that many scopes have the ability to turn the reticle to green or red, but why not just a plain white crosshair reticle. Educate me. I shoot BPCR silhouette and my reticle blends into the silhouette and leaves me with no point of hold. I need a white reticle for ref on the black silhouettes.
We used to paint the animals white, wore off but first relay was happy. You need better contrast on your scope. It can help differentiate the target from the reticle.

Reactions: simonp

Except for armoured prairie dogs, what else in nature or the wide world that you would be shooting at outside of a specific shooting discipline are actually black?

For most things black stands out way better than white would.

I'm guessing there isn't much demand for white and it might not come out looking the way you think it would in a reticle, since white requires a lot of reflected or transmitted light to see clearly as white and the light is coming in from the opposite side of your view, so even if it was painted white, it might still look very dark to you.

If you can get a scope where the whole reticle illuminates, that might be the best solution for you

Black gives most contrast against lighted background. Stands out most.

Imagine brown & green recticle when shooting in woods. You’d never see it!

Conversely, shooting in complete darkness, black recticle would not stand out at all. So you’d want one that’s lighted white. But you won’t be able to see what you’re aiming at in complete darkness anyway. Only thing visible through scope would be recticle.

Except for armoured prairie dogs, what else in nature or the wide world that you would be shooting at outside of a specific shooting discipline are actually black?

For most things black stands out way better than white would.

I'm guessing there isn't much demand for white and it might not come out looking the way you think it would in a reticle, since white requires a lot of reflected or transmitted light to see clearly as white and the light is coming in from the opposite side of your view, so even if it was painted white, it might still look very dark to you.

If you can get a scope where the whole reticle illuminates, that might be the best solution for you
Black bears, pigs, home invaders wearing a black dress shirt, etc…

IMG_6452.jpeg

IMG_6453.jpeg

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
You should look at the Meopta Dichroic reticle. It's transparent and changes color depending upon environment. My good buddy @saltedbutter took one to Africa and got some pretty good pics on how it works in the real world. May or may not work for silhouette, but it seemed to be a great option for dangerous-ish game hunting.

Get a scope that doesn't need illumination to work against that background
If only the reticle were white…🤣

Just the photos I have on my phone to illustrate the point.

The first time I read about the use of an illuminated reticle in a hunting scenario was hunting black bears.

I have a 3-9x with a crosshair that washes out just as bad. I thought I had a pic, but do not.

My point is just that there are viable black targets outside of specific disciplines, and black on black (especially in shadows) is a bad combination.

Are the black ones black? I mean, I know some of them are, from taking some apart. But as a "yute" I can remember one of the scopes we had, when you'd get the light behind your, the crosshairs looked gold(?) copper(?) colored. I don't remember what scope it was, but it's probably somewhere here on a rifle.

Turn on the illumination.

Are the black ones black? I mean, I know some of them are, from taking some apart. But as a "yute" I can remember one of the scopes we had, when you'd get the light behind your, the crosshairs looked gold(?) copper(?) colored. I don't remember what scope it was, but it's probably somewhere here on a rifle.
Leupold variXii turns brown(ish) with light behind, but is very much black outside of that specific lighting condition.

I am ignorant of BPCR targets and shooting so be kind....
I am old enough that my eyes don't do a great job with open or peep type sights anymore. I started using a 6 o'clock hold with my 03A3, M1A and M1 Garand. I can easily see the entire target rest on top of the front post so I adjust the sights to shoot higher into the x ring. It works quite well and I believe I could have been scoring better using this method when my eyes were younger.
So...is it possible to use a similar method on your targets? Crosshairs on a definable portion of the target above or below the actual bull?

Last edited:
1729487431234.png

Here is an image of the target animals. The pigs are 300 meters, turkeys @ 385 and rams are 500. There are also chickens at 200 meters that are shot offhand. When the mil dot goes over the animal it washes out for me. Would be much easier if the crosshairs and dot was white. My reason for the inquiry was to see if it could be done, then I could reach out to the scope manufacturer and see if they would make one. I have never seen such. Rules of the game prohibit using modern day scopes. Has to be “ period” scopes as in of the times of the weapons. Perhaps even if it could be done, the rules would not allow such.
1729488026957.png

Reactions: Aftermath
I wonder if the scope builders could alter one. For some reason I was thinking either Rim fire or conventional center fire silhouette shooting, not BPCR. I have never used a scope on my 1874. I just used the tang and globe front. Those it would be easy to change the color as the inserts could be painted. The BPCR scope is a more specialized item, I have to believe that someone can alter the reticle.

If only the reticle were white…🤣

Just the photos I have on my phone to illustrate the point.

The first time I read about the use of an illuminated reticle in a hunting scenario was hunting black bears.

I have a 3-9x with a crosshair that washes out just as bad. I thought I had a pic, but do not.

My point is just that there are viable black targets outside of specific disciplines, and black on black (especially in shadows) is a bad combination.
I'm just telling you that there are BLACK reticle that don't have nowhere near that much trouble working against a black background.

Reactions: Baron23 and hlee
How many white reticles were around in the 1800s? lol
……and that very fact may be why there are none in the game of BPCR…….but I ask once again…..could it be done.

Not trying to be a shit bird here, I actually have no knowledge of if a white reticle could be made in a scope. If I were to call NF and ask for a white mil dot reticle, would the answer be “ if you got the cash, we got the reticle” or would they say it is physically impossible due to issue XYZ.

……and that very fact may be why there are none in the game of BPCR…….but I ask once again…..could it be done.

Not trying to be a shit bird here, I actually have no knowledge of if a white reticle could be made in a scope. If I were to call NF and ask for a white mil dot reticle, would the answer be “ if you got the cash, we got the reticle” or would they say it is physically impossible due to issue XYZ.

I am sure it could be done by someone as there are companies that work on scopes but if you can’t use it in your sport then why bother? NF doesn’t make a scope you can use so they wouldn’t work on your scope. You would have to find an aftermarket company who does work on other manufacturers scopes.

Reactions: 308pirate
Not sure, especially someone big would like have an issue as that part of the scope is etched and coated in batches and one offs would be extremely expensive for them to do. I looked at the mva site and they say each one is etched then filled with non-reflective chrome. This is the black. I would give them a call. Their batches must be small as the market is not that large. Maybe coat the chrome with hi vis white?

This is a thread for @koshkin

AFAIK, reticles either cast shadows (black), or the illuminate (eg w/LED)...
they are don't obviously ever 'reflect' any colors like painted the crosshairs, etc

To get color, you illuminate in color (ie with red, green, etc colored LEDs)
Likewise, to get white...you would need to illuminate...white...

But IIRC there is no white LED, instead you need a **blue**
then you also need...a red, and a green LED...etc in sequence
(under the theory that RBG=white)

This is a couple hurdles north of a no-brainer.

But I'd wait for somebody that actually knows what they are talking about.

Reactions: JM4590