• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Why Do Rappers Hold Their Guns Sideways?

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
Here's a good Friday morning laugh!

http://www.slate.com/id/2238560/?GT1=38001

As police chased Raymond "Ready" Martinez through Times Square on Thursday, the street hustler and aspiring rapper fired two shots, holding the gun sideways "like a character out of a rap video." According to the New York Post, Martinez's side grip caused the gun to jam, enabling police to shoot and kill the suspect. What's the point of holding a gun sideways?

To look Hollywood, of course. Journalists and gun experts point to the 1993 Hughes brothers film Menace II Society, which depicts the side grip in its opening scene, as the movie that popularized the style. Although the directors claim to have witnessed a side grip robbery in Detroit in 1987, there are few reports of street gangs using the technique until after the movie came out. The Hughes brothers didn't invent the grip, though. In 1961's One-Eyed Jacks, Marlon Brando used it, as did Eli Wallach in 1966's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Directors may prefer the style because it makes it easier to see both the weapon and the actor's face in a tight camera shot.

While the New York Post reported that Martinez's side grip caused the gun to "stovepipe"—that's when the spent casing gets caught in the ejection port, jamming the weapon—it's unlikely that the horizontal orientation caused the failure. In theory, tilting a gun sideways—90-degrees counter-clockwise for a right-handed shooter—means that gravity works against the ejection of the spent casing. As a practical matter, however, gravity is so weak compared to the force of the ejection that jamming is no more frequent in the sideways position than in the customary one. The more likely cause of the jam was Martinez's choice of weapon and ammunition. The MAC-10 is prone to stovepiping—a problem that's exacerbated by the use of hollow-point bullets, which may become deformed and scrape the inside of the barrel, or underpowered ammunition, which can slow the slide and throw off the mechanism's timing.

While the side grip does not increase the risk of stovepiping, it is terrible for aim. It's extremely difficult to properly use the top-mounted sight on a handgun that is turned sideways. Not that this matters much to the average street criminal. According to an FBI study, 60 percent of them don't even use the sight. Aiming a gun sideways has long been shorthand for risky, indiscriminate shooting. The title character in George Washington Cable's 1894 novel John March, Southerner, exclaims, "No man shall come around here aiming his gun sideways; endangering the throngs of casual bystanders!"

During the first half of the 20th century, soldiers used the side grip for the express purpose of endangering throngs of people. Some automatic weapons from this era—like the Mauser C96 or the grease gun—fired so quickly or with such dramatic recoil that soldiers found it impossible to aim anything but the first shot. Soldiers began tilting the weapons, so that the recoil sent the gun reeling in a horizontal rather than vertical arc, enabling them to spray bullets into an onrushing enemy battalion instead of over their heads.

Nowadays, the only time professionals use the side grip is while holding riot shields, which limit their field of vision. Turning the gun and raising it up make the sight slightly more visible.

Re: Why Do Rappers Hold Their Guns Sideways?

An off camber grip does not impede the effectiveness of the iron sights, being a douche-nozzle rapper thug who can't read or write and who has never fired a gun does.

I have seen video footage of Al-Qaeda clearing rooms with the AK on a horizontal plane. When fired on full auto, it swept horizontally, therefore negating muzzle climb and spraying everything effectively.

One handed shooting with a pistol, using a 45 degree cant produces excellent accuracy, provided you actually use the sights.

Gangbangers would be very dangerous if they actually knew how to effectively fire a handgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shibumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen video footage of Al-Qaeda clearing rooms with the AK on a horizontal plane. When fired on full auto, it swept horizontally, therefore negating muzzle climb and spraying everything effectively.
</div></div>

I came here to make a joke about shooting my AK in this fashion, and after your post am deflated.

laugh.gif

I was watching <span style="font-weight: bold">Gangland</span> on the History channel yesterday and they were interviewing some Gang Banger . He was talkin gabout how everyone feared him because he practiced with his pistol until he could hit a tree from 20 feet away every single time ....... I about fell out of my chair laughing .

"Why Do Rappers Hold Their Guns Sideways?"

I think someones sig line on here has a quote by Napoleon on this matter.

"Never make it a point to correct your enemies mistakes." or something like that.

On a serious note I thought this through and always figured it began as the "thug" mentality's clothing line was and is oversize and loose. Example oversize pants hanging down to their knees. also wearing jackets that are at least 3 to 5 sizes to large. It was my thought that the only way to "clear" the pistol from getting hung up on the shooting sleeve would be to pull the hand up high and sideways otherwise it would end up inside the oversize sleeve. give it a try and see what I mean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was watching <span style="font-weight: bold">Gangland</span> on the History channel yesterday and they were interviewing some Gang Banger . He was talkin gabout how everyone feared him because he practiced with his pistol until he could hit a tree from 20 feet away every single time ....... I about fell out of my chair laughing . </div></div>

I never fell outa my chair but that is funny! I wonder how long it took the genius.

What I want to know is, when did "Gang Banger" come to mean any old guy who was a member of a gang instead of a guy participating in a 5+ man skin-fest with Rebecca Lord?

Every time I hear about some "Gang Banger" who's being interviewed by the media I just wonder "Are they going to ask him about his policy regarding nut-sacks touching during the DP?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I want to know is, when did "Gang Banger" come to mean any old guy who was a member of a gang instead of a guy participating in a 5+ man skin-fest with Rebecca Lord?

Every time I hear about some "Gang Banger" who's being interviewed by the media I just wonder "Are they going to ask him about his policy regarding nut-sacks touching during the DP?"

</div></div>
Or the policy of the guy on top not cumming first. Gravity is the bottom mans enemy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I want to know is, when did "Gang Banger" come to mean any old guy who was a member of a gang instead of a guy participating in a 5+ man skin-fest with Rebecca Lord?

</div></div>

sac sliding is gay.

ahhhh, the good old days, when gang bang meant something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The full quotation is, "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
</div></div>
That's the one. Thanks Lindy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmxring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought they held them sideways because that's the way the pistol came in the box :) </div></div>

I think you hit on it thats got to be why. LOL

I'm not saying that it's the right way to point a pistol, but it is the way that most people point their finger. Try it. Choose an object across the room and point your index finger at it. Most people will point with their other fingers and thumb in a grip-like position - with their palm down. Most shootings are within the across-the-room distance.

If you're inside of 20 feet and have practiced, and many of the gang members practice regularly, it's probably pretty effective. Being able to shoot over the bar or get it out of the car window is just a bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
x7qfp.jpg
</div></div>

Beat me to it. I was going to post this.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was watching <span style="font-weight: bold">Gangland</span> on the History channel yesterday and they were interviewing some Gang Banger . He was talkin gabout how everyone feared him because he practiced with his pistol until he could hit a tree from 20 feet away every single time ....... I about fell out of my chair laughing . </div></div>

You try throwing a pistol at a tree from 20 feet away -- it's not that easy!

Anyway, I think you can get a stronger grip from pronating your hand that way, which may lead to better shooting for those with a weak hand ("pimp-hand" = weak hand?) in theory, but I have not tried it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shibumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen video footage of Al-Qaeda clearing rooms with the AK on a horizontal plane. When fired on full auto, it swept horizontally, therefore negating muzzle climb and spraying everything effectively. </div></div>

Answer.......recoiless rifle

Holding your pistol sideways does nothing for accuracy, or anything for that matter. There is a reason the pistol is designed the way it is and held the way it is with the slide moving back the way it does. Sure you could be accurate with that stupid grip, but if you pull out your pistol and dump a mag holding it like that your rounds will go all over the place. We had access to pistol trainer sims that were hooked up to computers so that you can see where the barrel is pointing from when you aim down the sight to when another round is chambered and when we tried it gangster style it was ALL over the place. Its like hammering a nail by holding the head of the hammer instead of the handle. It works, but highly ineffective. Not to mention you look like an idiot when you hold a pistol like that.

We have a gangster/drug dealer/scumbag here that the media have nicknamed "The Viper"

Some time back another of his drug dealer/scumbag friends tried to shoot him. The media reported that the "HITMAN" stood in front of the stationary car and proceeded to empty a magazine of 13 shots into the vehicle where the drugdealer/scumbag/gangster was sitting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hitting him 2 times.....

WHAT A WASTE OF GOOD BULLETS !!!!

I was told it was so the gangbangers could lean over a counter while robbing a store and shoot behind it basically at a 90 degree angle. Which you can not do holding the firearm properly.

You guys are hilarious.

In all seriousness though, I have shot handguns sideways at the range. No big deal really if you got point and shoot instinct like I do. The only time I saw good use of sideways shooting was when I got to shoot a Micro UZI with laser sight. Holding it sideways was a lot easier to control.

Shooting sideways is insanely retarded, although if switching from primary to secondary with weak hand holding primary pinned to chest it is beneficial while shooting one handed to have a very slight cant. The recoil is a little more manageable.
wink.gif

What was the movie from the 80s about LA cops and the gangs ? Was it colors or something like that ?

That movie has saved more LEO lives than anyone can imagine hyping up the side ways shooting of gang bangers. Between that , and pants that fall down when they run, u gotta wonder if that is their version of Tacticool for gangbangers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are hilarious.

In all seriousness though, I have shot handguns sideways at the range. No big deal really if you got point and shoot instinct like I do. The only time I saw good use of sideways shooting was when I got to shoot a Micro UZI with laser sight. Holding it sideways was a lot easier to control. </div></div>

It's the cotton gloves that make you a great shot:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nz9VXojPoQY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nz9VXojPoQY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My RWS video is better shankster.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This by far is my favorite air pistol I ever shot. It is so freaking accurate that I have actually took it to handgun ranges and out shot folks shooting centerfire handguns.</div></div>

Quite the feat of marksmanship "outshooting" centerfire pistols with a bb gun. Especially considering the disadvantage you have to overcome with all the massive recoil of that air pistol.