why no powder weight

Smkngstv

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
edmonton alberta
i have purchased a colt cooper 308,it came with a test target that shows a 3 shot group,type of powder,and bullet used,the combination seems to shoot or group very well,i don't think a ladder test for this rifle is needed.but they don't supply the weight of imr4064 used,why is this,do i still need to do ladder test.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
They worked up loads for it as a test target shipped?
Most custom gun manufactures will use factory match ammo for their test target.
It usually up to the buyer to work loads.

I would definitely want to work up my own load for my new rifle rather than rely on 3 shots on a test target to decide what I'll shoot through my rifle. While there's nothing wrong with that target, I'm quite certain that with a little work, you could develop a load that does better.

It's probably a really weak load that is good for nothing other than punching paper at 100 yards.

Or, they are simply not going to provide a powder charge for legal reasons in case someone blows up their rifle and tries to blame it on them.

It's probably a really weak load that is good for nothing other than punching paper at 100 yards.

The test target smacks of what Cooper ships with rifle from their Montana facility. If so, this guy is spot on, shot at 42 yards, extremely light charge. Sometimes I wonder why they provide them? One used to assume it was 100 yards, cat's out of the bag today. They will supply charge info if you call them.

By the way, the guys name on the target, that's his job, load and shoot, where did I go wrong?

The test target smacks of what Cooper ships with rifle from their Montana facility. If so, this guy is spot on, shot at 42 yards, extremely light charge. Sometimes I wonder why they provide them? One used to assume it was 100 yards, cat's out of the bag today. They will supply charge info if you call them.

By the way, the guys name on the target, that's his job, load and shoot, where did I go wrong?
thanks guys,i will start my load development this sunday.will keep you posted