• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Why The Weight Variances In Wolf Match Extra?

hilbillee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Franklin, NC
I finally decided to try weighing some of my 22 LR rounds and decided to try the Wolf Match Extra. I figured with it being a top line round there wouldn't be much variance in weight between rounds. Using my digital reloading scales I found more variance in weight that I was expecting. Of the 250 rds. I weighed, the weights ranged from 50.5 grs. to 52 grs. 36 rds. were in the 50.5 to 51.4 gr. range. 95 rds. were in the 51.5-51.6 gr. range. 97 rds. were in the 51.7-51.8 gr. range. And 22 rds. were in the 51.9 - 52 gr. range. I guess that almost 200 rds. were within .4 grs. of each other but why the range of 50.5 to 52 gr.?

Re: Why The Weight Variances In Wolf Match Extra?

Have you shot it for groups?

In my experience, weighing 22lr match ammo is a waste of time. Too many variables, between the priming compound, bullet, powder, case.

I tried weight matching but never could get any conclusive results. So, I quit and just shoot it. More than once, I shot better groups with my "culls" than with my weight matched ammo. Go figure.

What does seem to matter is to stay within a lot#. Certain lots of the same ammo shoot better than other lots. Find the lot# that your rifle prefers and stock up.

Yes, straight out of the box & not weighed. It did fine. I had read several posts on here praising the weighing of the ammo so I thought I would try it. I am gonna try what I have weighed and see how if it makes a difference before weighing any more.

Weighing ammo came about several years ago when folks couldn't get the quality of ammo that is now available. What weighing will do for you is tell you if you have any that don't have powder in the case. This happens every now and then.
Now days as I get older I don't seem to have time to weigh ammo as I would rather spend the time sending shots down range.
There is better ammo out there than the wolf but it costs more.
MHO
larryj

I'm probably not gonna weigh anymore as I've weighed 600 rds. out of a 5,000 rd. case. Like you I would rather be sending them down range. But since it has rained here about all day & I couldn't deer hunt I thought I would give the weighing thing a try.

I've weighed ammo before and was totally a waste of time as far as grouping was concerned. The true ultra bench shooters take it a step further and measure rim thickness with a rim gage. Theory states that that is where the variables come to play because of the amount of powder used as primer.

i did alot of 22 ammo testing, different brands, etc. and have found that weighing helps group size, especially at 150+ yards, and backed up by shooting through a chrony for consistancy. it doesn't get rid of all the flyers, but greatly reduces them.

the rim thickness not only judges the amount of powder in the primer, but the overall length of the cartridge, as the thicker the rim, the shorter the overall length (acts as a shim) and the thinner the rim the longer the oal.

when reloading centerfire you know how variations affect group size and consistancy the same holds true for rimfires.

as manufacturing of the rimfire ammo has greatly improved over the years, rim thickness has been less of an issue, but can still lead to better accurracy when sorted none the less, and along with weighing, ensures that what you have in the magazine is the very best you can muster.

i will say though that the wolf ammo has the least amount of weight variance or range of low and high weights of all the ammo i've messed with including the really expensive stuff. i would have to believe that's why it is so good in so many rifles.

is it impossible to get every round to weigh the same?
IMHO probably not but it would be impractical, and expensive to accomplish.

the weight difference can be attributed to the a bunch of variables such as thickness of the casing walls, rims, bullet weight, powder charge, primer, etc., or even and most probably a combination of many of them.

don't forget no matter what the brand, they are still mass produced in bulk, which add to the charm and challenge of consistant rimfire shooting. but i have found that "weight lots" reduce the the amount of "drastic variances" and that in my opinion leads to better groups and accurracy.

22 ammo threads

In my experience, the weight difference is mostly in the bullet and I think that if we fuss over .5 grains in a 175gr .308 then 1.5 grains is truly significant in a 40 grain round being pushed by 1 grain of powder.

My 22's shoot 30% better with weightsorted ammo that they prefer.

Weighed rounds really show their stuff for lower priced bulk type ammo. When you start weighing higher end ammo, you're really splitting hairs.