• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wilson Combat, Is is custom or semi custom?

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Is a Wilson Combat 1911 a custom gun or semi custom?
    I notice the prices seem to go into the custom range. I really like the feel of them.
    Is there a better made 1911 out there? Just looking for suggestions.

They are semi custom. They have a bunch of different models that you can choose from and from there you can choose a bunch of different options if you wish. They put you on a waiting list for about 12-24 months and they call you about 6 weeks before the gun is done. You have input to what the final product will be but you cant start from a base slide and frame and build it from there. Its a limited custom so I call it semi custom.

A full custom 1911 to me is where you start with a base frame and slide and you go over every major part with the gunsmith and both of you decide on the final build. There is direct communication b/t the builder and the customer throughout the project. It is truly customized to your specific needs and wants.

As for there being a better 1911 out there, yes, there are, by any definition. But those are gonna be very limited custom guns. I've owned Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, a couple full blown customs, and the usual lesser guns. As far as single stack 1911s go, Wilson is my top pick.

I've had a few disappointments in the past few years with Wilson. They, like Kimber and Leupold, built a solid reputation, then starting cutting corners to get more profit from the name recognition - in my opinion.

For a custom or semi-custom 1911, I prefer Nighthawk, they are building the name so are a little more focused on quality and service. Wilson still has great service, but has fallen down a bit on quality.

Opinions, like experiences, vary.

Wilson Combat, Is is custom or semi custom?

Graham,
    For information purposes, can you elaborate on your definition of custom vs semi custom. Thanks
    Jim
    I don't know what he means by 'semi-custom'. Come to think of it, I don't know what he means by 'custom', either.

Perhaps he means that a custom pistol is made to order by one gunsmith, and a semi-custom is individually ordered but then bench-made, meaning it goes through a few different hands as it is being built.

It's a shame that the OP leaves the responders to guess about what he is asking. Perhaps the question wasn't very well thought-out, or maybe it simply wasn't very well articulated... But those are just guesses, too.

BTW, are any of the original gunsmiths left at Wilson? I think not.

I would have to go with custom. You can take a base model, but then add or take away features as you see fit (colors, finishes, metals, styles, engraving, etc) I spoke with one of their gun smiths multiple times throughout my CQB build and they were extremely helpful and they gave me advice on swapping individual pieces out to suit my needs. They were fantastic to deal and with and I saw no corners cut whatsoever. I've shot nighthawks and other top end and they are nice. However Wilson is what I would choose again if I had to do it over. My CQB is one of my prized possessions and will continue to be.

I've got a Wilson full sized CQB as well as a Commander sized Ed Brown...both new about 4-5 years back. BOTH have been very accurate, very reliable and build quality is high. Over the past 45 years I've been down the road with a LOT of .45 acp 1911's and these two, especially the Wilson are about the smoothest shooting I have ever encountered. I know "smooth" is a strange description but it's what fits the experience in my mind.

As soon as any of these "Wilson/Nighthawk or Ed Brown" threads come up they stray quickly. I doubt a guy could go wrong with any of the three. And lately I have seen not one, but two CQB's on various sites, for sale for $2K or a bit more. Hell of a 1911 for $2K.

I would also say semi custom (and that Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed will all be fantastic shooters). A good example of a custom 1911 in my mind would be having Luke Volkmann build you a 1911 from scratch...

To me the term production, semi custom, and custom has less to do with options and features than it does build and fitment...

When referencing 1911's I define a "custom" gun as one which is built individually. EVERY component is hand fitted and all assembly,labor, and tuning is done by hand/gunsmiths.

"Semi-customs" are guns that are produced in quantity with parts that have tolerance windows and acceptable variances. However some of the critical components are hand fit. (I.e. Springfield TRP series, Dan Wesson)

"Production" guns are mass produced with no hand fitting or individual attention.

...my two cents at least.

I would define custom as a start-from-scratch project that begins with a conversation with the guy who will actually build your gun.

Taking a base model, adding/deleting features, and then contacting a rep who will spec it out and put you on the waiting list, in my opinion, falls into semi-custom territory.

That said, I have owned Baer's, Wilson's, and EB's - and they all have their positive and negatives. Once people invest sizable sums of money into any particular brand, they tend to defend their choices (I've fallen victim to this as well).

rth1800,
    If I were in your shoes I would call some of the folks on the 'smith' list and see what they offer and related prices. Most of them can tell you what is different between what they offer and someone like Nighthawk, Wilson, etc.

If you have a specific need you are solving for I would lean towards one of the better smiths, however, my experience with Nighthawk is that they are extremely accomodating in a build and have great customer service.

When people define custom vs. semi-custom in 1911's, Wilson is considered semi-custom. Custom vs. semi-custom has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with how the gun is spec'd and offered. Semi-custom manufacturers will let you spec the gun how you want with limitations, but will not build frankenguns made of different parts from different manufacturers. The offerings are usually standardized. I got my Les Baer exactly how I wanted it. Doesn't matter. It was all Baer parts and Baer options. Great gun. Very accurate, but semi-custom.

Full house custom makers usually start with someone else's gun and makes modifications.