Win Mag Primers

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Having repeated trouble with Winchester Magnum primers. Loaded some 300 WM and had 2 that would not go "Boom" (out of 25 tested). 1 of those did ignite on a second try. 2nd one will not fire.

In the past I had trouble seating these primers by hand, and it led to 1 in 5 not igniting. So I really squeezed on my priming tool this time and tried to get them seated well. Still had these 2 (better, but it is now RARE for me to have a light primer strike). This doesn't happen for my 6.5 loads (Regular Win LRP) and I haven;t had a single light strike in 3k rounds this summer or the two years since I last did Magnum Primers for 300 WM. What are the odds its me (and what can I do to correct it) and what are the odds its the primer.

My stock was started in pandemic when I started reloading, I do have Feds on the Bench, but with a shortage of LRP and Magnum LRP, I just worked with the open box.

I am afraid the answer is again one of "it depends", which is to say the trouble-shoot list for a "no bang" is longer than many folks want to hear about.

To keep it short, only you will know how your ammo/chamber/ignition details stack up.

If you go back to those other primers, with everything else as equal as possible to when you experienced the WIN failures, then it tends to point at the WIN side of the equation. If however, there is something marginal in the other parts of the puzzle, it can lead to confusion.

So, to touch on the low hanging fruit....

WIN primers have recently been showing up on the open internet as having issues of several types, so we can't eliminate the possibility it might really be the primers. I hate to hear about it when folks have damaged bolt faces from primer cup leaks, but just Google that and you will find WIN is showing up again. Also hate to hear about click-no-bang in any version since all confidence is lost.

With WM, make sure your rig and the ammo are still in spec.

Verify your sizing, verify your seating depth, and verify your ignition system.

Sharpen your inspection of everything and keep an open mind like a dispassionate investigator would. Assume nothing is correct unless you know it really is by inspection.

Good Luck and in for reports.

I've had a couple shell holders do this in my hand primer. I suppose they were just slightly out of spec? Were all old rcbs I believe.

Any chance an odd shell holder is in play? Not sure what you're priming with... if a non issue carry in with investigation!