• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Winchester model 70 build?

Louisianaex26

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2020
Louisiana
Hey there. New to this group and have this discussion. Many years ago I purchased a Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag. Used it for deer hunting as my first rifle. Due to it having a 26” barrel, I switched over to a ruger compact .308 which is way easier to tote. I’ve kicked around the idea of converting my 7mag to more of a sniper set up or possibly up north hunting for bigger game. Looking at Harris bipod and scope upgrade. Also my rifle was purchased from Walmart so it’s a cheaper model or “economy” model. Does anyone know if bipod or possibly stock upgrade will work on those basic models? Didn’t want to sell it because I don’t normally sell my firearms. Just wanting to do something special with this one. Thoughts?? Keith

Welcome to the forum! I’m not sure when you purchased the rifle but the big factor will be wether it’s a controled round feed (claw type extractor on the bolt similar to a Mauser or ‘03 Springfield these are usually listed as either president ‘64 or classic) or push feed (similar to a Remington 700 bolt and extractor). The CRF rifles are pricey while the push feed M70s are cheaper and more common as hunting rifles, neither has a huge aftermarket for the “tactical” oriented shooter, but the pre 64s make for some interesting, if expensive, target rifle builds (more on that in the vintage rifles subforum). I think your best bet is to buy a good scope (plenty of discussion on the riflescopes subforum ) maybe buy a stock from Boyd’s or bell and Carlson (not too much out there unless you want to have Macmillan inlet one for you), bed it, and see how it shoots If you get to the point where you’re thinking about a barrel swap or cartridge swap, that can cost a fair bit with a gunsmith and it’s probably more economical to build what you want on a more common platform like an R700 clone or a Tikka. The push feed models make pretty solid hunting rifles and the 7 RM is a good cartridge for any American game animal so it might still do solid service for hunting. There was a guy on here a few months back asking a very similar question about a push feed m70 in .300 WM, you might try a google search of “Winchester model70 .300 win mag snipershide” and click through what pops up, he created two or three threads asking about rebarreling for a bull barrel. Enjoy!

Reactions: Louisianaex26
If all you’re wanting to do is a stock, bipod and glass then like jphil108 said check out McMillan they have nice stocks or Boyd’s are less money. Harris Bipods are pretty inexpensive as well. It shouldn’t cost much to get your barrel shortened and recrowned either, maybe a hundred bucks.
If you wanna go through it and make a custom rig to compete with it’s probably not cost effective.

Reactions: Louisianaex26
I have no clue about the extractor but my guess is the less expensive one push type. I’ve heard mention of the pre-64 models being the cream of the crop. To add, this hun was purchased from Walmart with a cheap scope for $300 clearance price. Haha. Good deal and shoots nice. I’ve upgraded a little with scope and haven’t shot it in probably 15 years. What got me thinking about it was a potential Montana hunting trip next year and I’d bring it for that. I’m worried about stocks and such mounting to it

I’m not into competition shooting so this one would be a longer range setup. Not worried about the weight since I have my Ruger for hunting around here. Shortening barrel and maybe muzzle brake/ flash suppressor? Would like to have it tweaked mainly for what I refer to as “up north hunting”. Lol. Thanks for all the input and I’ll try to check on the extractor

If you want a precision rifle on M70 this one is in classifieds. Theirs also a FN PBR for a pretty cheap price in 308. Let's you keep your first rifle in its original condition.

If you want to change it up. Get a good scope and stock. Tune the trigger and eventually you can have a good gunsmith true the action and rebarrel it

You could go buy a FN SPR and have a legit precision M70 based rifle by the time you fussed around making a hunting rifle M70 into one.
Exactly. I snagged one on Gun Broker for $1800. McMillan stock, Win 70 buttery smooth action and chrome lined heavy barrel. Thing shoots 3/4 MOA all day.

That sounds high. When I was in the firearms sales business....we had SPR selling in the $1250 range. But that was like 6 or 7 years ago.
Yeah they are getting somewhat hard to find (I guess?). Does FN still make them? Mine (got it new) came with the test target dated 9/2014, so must have been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

Yeah they are getting somewhat hard to find (I guess?). Does FN still make them? Mine (got it new) came with the test target dated 9/2014, so must have been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

Not made anymore. I bet $1250 was probably when they had high stock volume and they just became discontinued. If you look towards the end of the thread:Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct? someone said they have a lead on a shop that has a few new old stock that are going for $1800.

Last edited:
Is there a way to check the extractor? Or is it mainly an age if the hun deal? Mine was purchased around.....1999 or 2000 I believe. Been a while and lost track
Push feed on top, control round feed in bottom
1604780044004.jpeg

As far as stocks go. I’ve heard of McMillan. What about accuracy international? Are they still around? More than likely I’ll stick with what I’ve got since it’s a cheaper rifle but it’s nice to see what’s out there. I’m not a serious hunter or shooter so me dropping $2k is difficult to swing (much less what the wife says). But the bipod and scope are doable. Now it has a Simmons Aetec with illuminating reticle. Decent scope

Is it a wood stock or polymer? The McMillan is going to be pricey but will give you what you want, bell and Carlson makes a decent stock that’s a good value, has a full length aluminum block and once you bed them they do pretty well, not as nice as a McMillan but very serviceable. I think HS precision might also make a stock for them, but there’s a lot of other reasons not to buy from them. Personally, I would spend money on a quality scope and I probably wouldn’t put more than $500 into the rest of the rifle.

I have a Post 64 M-70 chambered in 30.06 built like a M40-A1 except with a Winchester action
Krieger 1-10, SS, 24" Rem Varmint contour, true action, install new SS follower and Rem 700 BDL
mag spring, check feeding, polish feed ramp, loading port, top of tang, and the inside of receiver
bridge.
Surface grind and polish sear surfaces, 2.5 lb trigger, Time safety and cocking piece.
Polish, draft, and inlet Williams SS one piece bottom metal, install Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base
and rings, lap rings.
Fit and pillar bed McMillan GPH stock with 1.5" Wichita sling swivels, float barrel, 13.5" LOP to 1"
Decelerator pad, finished in Birdsongs Black T, Smithed by Mark Penrod .
Shoots 175 and 190's SMK very well !

I have a Post 64 M-70 chambered in 30.06 built like a M40-A1 except with a Winchester action
Krieger 1-10, SS, 24" Rem Varmint contour, true action, install new SS follower and Rem 700 BDL
mag spring, check feeding, polish feed ramp, loading port, top of tang, and the inside of receiver
bridge.
Surface grind and polish sear surfaces, 2.5 lb trigger, Time safety and cocking piece.
Polish, draft, and inlet Williams SS one piece bottom metal, install Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base
and rings, lap rings.
Fit and pillar bed McMillan GPH stock with 1.5" Wichita sling swivels, float barrel, 13.5" LOP to 1"
Decelerator pad, finished in Birdsongs Black T, Smithed by Mark Penrod .
Shoots 175 and 190's SMK very well !

Pictures please!!!

Hey there. New to this group and have this discussion. Many years ago I purchased a Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag. Used it for deer hunting as my first rifle. Due to it having a 26” barrel, I switched over to a ruger compact .308 which is way easier to tote. I’ve kicked around the idea of converting my 7mag to more of a sniper set up or possibly up north hunting for bigger game. Looking at Harris bipod and scope upgrade. Also my rifle was purchased from Walmart so it’s a cheaper model or “economy” model. Does anyone know if bipod or possibly stock upgrade will work on those basic models? Didn’t want to sell it because I don’t normally sell my firearms. Just wanting to do something special with this one. Thoughts?? Keith
I have a similar situation. My brother gave me a Winchester model 70 CRF chambered in 300 Weatherby. It had a pencil barrel, and cheap plastic stock. Groups would fade after two shots and with the barrel stock combo it had a good amount of felt recoil. I just bought a Bartlein #4 CF barrel & manners stock and sent it to Eric at Blue Mountain Precision to true the action and assemble. I will be adding a muzzle brake and new trigger as well. Hopefully I can put together longer strings of tight groups and not get beat up as much by the recoil.

That sounds high. When I was in the firearms sales business....we had SPR selling in the $1250 range. But that was like 6 or 7 years ago.
Depends on variant.

For a A5M with updated DBM thats not crazy, or a A3G.

For a A1, those sold for around 1100 new.

Have owned a few over the years and sold my last one this year. Great action but very limited what u can do because of gunsmithing/costs.

With cheap switch barrels that don't require timed extractor cuts, makes it alot easier.

I'm not sure if you got your 7mm rem mag done. I just got threw building this one the wife picked me up at a local pawn shop for my birthday. Winchester model 70 Laredo 7mm rem mag with Boss comp on a 24 inch barrel. Just waiting on trigger springs and start putting rounds threw it. Now and then pics. It's been a nice budget build coming in just user $1500.

Attachments

• 20210519_102843_HDR.jpg
    20210519_102843_HDR.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210501_111735.jpg
    20210501_111735.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 88