• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Worth upgrading from ELDM to LRHT?

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 3, 2019
    Pittsburgh
    Is it worth upgrading from the hornady ELDM to Berger LRHT?

This would be going from 140 eldm to 144 lrht in my 6.5 CM and 108 ELDM to 109 LRHT in my 6 ARC. I do not compete, just shoot steel and varmints a lot out to 750 on private property. Soon will have access to a 1000+ yard range (Ben Franklin Range).

Haven't necessarily had any issues with the ELDM and I started my reloading journey with them. Just seeking opinions if the cost difference is worth it at ranges of 500+

Last edited:
    Is it worth upgrading from the hornady ELDM to Berger LRHT?

This would be going from 140 eldm to 144 lrht in my 6.5 CM and 108 ELDM to 109 LRHT in my 6 ARC. I do not compete, just shoot steel and varmints a lot out to 750 on private property. Soon will have access to a 1000+ yard range (Ben Franklin Range).

Haven't necessarily had any issues with the ELDM and I started my reloading journey with them. Just seeking opinions if the cost difference is worth it at ranges of 600+
    How would you determine if it's worth it? What metrics do you use to evaluate/assess performance and what gains would you have to see in those metrics for it to be worth going from the ELDM to the Berger, given the Berger's marginal cost delta?

Reactions: diggler1833
    How would you determine if it's worth it? What metrics do you use to evaluate/assess performance and what gains would you have to see in those metrics for it to be worth going from the ELDM to the Berger, given the Berger's marginal cost delta?

SD/ES and CBTO variation I would notice in the reloading room and during load development.

Shooting at paper at less than 300 yards I do not expect to see much of a difference between the 2 bullets. Both guns have proof barrels and consistently shoot half MOA with the ELDMs.

What I would hope to gain is the consistency at 500+ yards. Majority of the time the ELDM is great, but there are some times where there's flyers or vertical dispersion that wasn't me or the wind.

SD/ES and CBTO variation I would notice in the reloading room and during load development.

Shooting at paper at less than 300 yards I do not expect to see much of a difference between the 2 bullets. Both guns have proof barrels and consistently shoot half MOA with the ELDMs.

What I would hope to gain is the consistency at 500+ yards. Majority of the time the ELDM is great, but there are some times where there's flyers or vertical dispersion that wasn't me or the wind.
    So you'd want to acquire some information about drop, wind drift and possibly SD/ES from users of the Berger bullet to help you make your decision while ensuring you compare apples to apples to the extent possible..

However, first question I'd ask is this: Are those flyers material relative to what you're asking the system to do on a day-to-day basis?

> If yes, then continue to gather data/info so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not the switch is worth it for YOU

> If not, then the answer to your original question is likely 'No'

Point of my posts is to get you and others that ask these 'Is it worth it questions' to think and make decisions for your specific requirements using data, metrics on a level playing field (ie. apples to apples comparisons where applicable) as well as qualitative decision points so others' opinions don't sway your decision out of context.

Another point of comparison is what I'll refer to as 'Cost per Miss'....for every round that misses the target, you incur a cost that you don't incur when making a hit...I say that because the whole purpose is to hit the target you're aiming at so if you make a hit, your outcome was positive so for that particular shot, the cost of the bullet was worth it...So if the Berger bullets cost $10 more per box but your hit rate improves by say, 10% running the numbers may result in a less costly (and more rewarding) experience with the Bergers over the Hornady bullets.

So you'd want to acquire some information about drop, wind drift and possibly SD/ES from users of the Berger bullet to help you make your decision while ensuring you compare apples to apples to the extent possible..

However, first question I'd ask is this: Are those flyers material relative to what you're asking the system to do on a day-to-day basis?

> If yes, then continue to gather data/info so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not the switch is worth it for YOU

> If not, then the answer to your original question is likely 'No'

Point of my posts is to get you and others that ask these 'Is it worth it questions' to think and make decisions for your specific requirements using data, metrics on a level playing field (ie. apples to apples comparisons where applicable) as well as qualitative decision points so others' opinions don't sway your decision out of context.

Another point of comparison is what I'll refer to as 'Cost per Miss'....for every round that misses the target, you incur a cost that you don't incur when making a hit...I say that because the whole purpose is to hit the target you're aiming at so if you make a hit, your outcome was positive so for that particular shot, the cost of the bullet was worth it...So if the Berger bullets cost $10 more per box but your hit rate improves by say, 10% running the numbers may result in a less costly (and more rewarding) experience with the Bergers over the Hornady bullets.

thank you for the well articulated response

This last point is really the bottom line of it all. Only so much time and $ to spend doing this hobby of LR shooting/hunting, which are my only hobbies. Want to maximize the enjoyment and chasing misses, whether on steel or a varmint, is not the fun part

Last edited:
    Reactions: nn8734
    If it ain't broke... I've found too many ways to torture myself in hand loading. I'm starting to get wiser, and not mess with what's working.

And I've never fired a Berger bullet that I fell in love with. Not that they make bad anything, but the ELDM is pretty much the easy button.

Yes bergers are better. According to Brian Litz the berger ballistian lrht are guaranteed to be within 2% of each other in a given box. Eldm would be higher. This means at long distances less vertical so better scores. I don’t think this matters much with steel. I shoot lrth for fclass but eldm for steel in my 22br

Last edited:
    Reactions: YotaEer
    I think that Bergers (and Lapuas) are more uniform. That being said, I usually try Hornady bullets to see if they'll shoot well enough in a particular barrel. If they do, I'm sticking with the cheaper option for sure.

I have been shooting the 140 hybrids for a while now in 6.5 creed and really like them but don't like the fact that they don't open up on flesh and bone but didn't really expect them to.
    If I hadt o do it over again would have chosen the 140vld or just have kept running the 147eldm.