• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Wrapping a Rifle in Camo

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I'm wondering how one would go about wrapping a rifle with camo whatever - when there's snow, I use medical gauze - while maintaining accuracy.

I mean, the barrel gets wrapped, and it's a bad idea for things to touch a free-floated barrel.

Yet US Military DMs and snipers camo all the time.

What trick are they using? Or is there just an acceptable accuracy falloff?

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Wrapping a Rifle in Camo

Some guys I know wrap their stuff in Krylon. Lots of colors to choose from, change with the seasons.
grin.gif

get a piece of rope, (thicker hemp or twine is nice as it's "fuzzy" and lightweight). tie off both ends with a know about every foot to keep the rope from unravelling completely. loosen the strands to add seasonal foliage / colors / gillie strips, sticks, whatever, to the twist, tie a few standard tans throughout. twist alittle just to add more retention. then just drape and serpintine it around the rifle.

completely removeable and adaptable to changing environments, lightweight and no extra tension on the rifle or restriction of the working parts.

you can put your accuracy out by about 1 MOA @ 100 yards just by wrapping camo tape around a free floating barrel.

If your shooting stuff withing 100-200 yards this may not be a big deal on large targets.

I lightly wrapped the barrel of a TRG22 with white snow camo. (Vet wrap like material)
A test shot with the wrap was about 1/2 inch from the unrapped impact at 150 yards.
I should have fired a few more but I was adequately convinced. A pair of coyotes felt that accuracy was spot on as well. (~50yds and ~250 yds)

I suspect it might have been different if I had wrapped it tightly.

Take a few practice shots before you go hunting. That is the only way you can confirm how it works with your setup!