Wrist Coaches and Dope Charts. Trying to go calculatorless.

rybe390

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Hey guys!

I shot my first match this weekend, and learned a ton about what I like and don't like about my set up.

Hoping to have a discussion on wrist coach usage and dope cards!

Currently, I have dope in a few different areas.
1) Taped to my rifle stock. I have a dope card for my main load on all rifles, taped to the stock. Dope is 100 yard increments until 25 yards is needed, out to the supersonic range of the cartridge. I have DA of 0, 5000, and 10000, to cover almost all my bases for what I can see where I live. If I'm using this dope, it's quick math anyways, so a 7,500 foot DA day just splits the difference between 5000 and 10000 foot data
2) Data book. My data book is really just a combination of drop charts and reminders about how to shoot long range. Ranging formulas, slope dope, wind calling, etc. My drop cards here are full tables with 2,000 foot DA steps from like 0 to 14,000. 25 yard increments to the supersonic range of the cartridge. I have one of these printed for every load I've chronographed through my rifle. Can't hurt to have these, and once verified, the data works great.
3) Mini dope cards. These are 3x5 printed dope cards that pretty much mimic the ones taped to the rifle stock. I have one printed for almost every load I can shoot in my guns. These go inside my arm board as a portable data book when I don't want to bring the book.
4) AB mobile on iphone. Typically have my phone with me, nice to play with at the range.

Cool, now we have an idea of how my dope is laid out.

On my wrist coach, I'd typically have the 3x5 card for the load I'm shooting in the main window. On the backside of the flap, I have a density altitude and barometric pressure chart, as I don't have a kestrel. It typically gets me within a few hundred foot of DA just using my watch. On the true inside flap, I have a small data book type thing. Slope dope, ranging formulas, that type of stuff. Info that's nice to have that I don't have yet committed to memory.

I shot my first match this weekend, and hated how I was doing dope. I kept the front card out and had it blank white. I was writing with grease pencil which sucked in 95 degree heat, and was pulling data from my phone before each stage to put on the 3x5 card. I never referenced the inside two cards of my wrist band, as why would I use those on the clock...

For me, the armboard is my databook away from my data book. With the 3x5 cards, the idea is I can have all my dope for a load, and change out to whatever load I'm shooting. In theory, great. In practice, I had no 3x5 and used my phone, so a piece of string and a 3x5 card would have worked better.

I'm thinking of switching it up and using the armboard differently. From what I've seen people do, there are a few ways to use the different sleeves:
Blank front, Single density cards inside but have a few cards on hand. Write dope on front for stage.
Density dope card in front, extra density card inside, maybe a photo of reticle. Read dope from card.
Blank up front, density card inside, reticle or whatever inside.

I think I'd like to go blank up front to write stage data, DA pressure chart to have on hand still, and DA dope card inside. But, I worry I'd miss having the data in the main window always.

Sorry for the gigantic ramble here, kind of just word vommiting my thoughts out here with what I'd like to have, but also frustrations.

What have you all found to be your best solution to: Go calculatorless in the field, keep dope handy and easily accessible(for multiple conditions), and prepare dope for quick access during a match? I'm trying to figure it out and it's hurting my head. Probably overthinking it, so someone please bitch slap me into reality if that's the case and tell me to use blank 3x5 cards for each stage and treat comps different than hunting.

Too much data and too many places to reference.

I dislike electronics because they will fail. Maybe not new, out of the box, in beautiful blue sky conditions on a manicured range reminiscent of a golf course. I've had mission-critical radios and computers fail in the field, not for lack of electrical power but because it was cold and/or wet.

The simplicity of the old Leupold M2, M3, and M3LR dials, or the ACOG BDC, was speed. Though not true BDCs they mimic certain set ballistic conditions for specified bullets and loads. All the other stuff is supposed to help you -- not BE the basis of your holds.

Figure your density altitude for the start or middle of the shooting day using whatever instrument you use (Kestrel or topo map and thermometer, maybe add an altimeter, whatever). Do your gonculations and adjust. "For this match use BDC come-up 300 +1 click." "For this target use between 700 and 800 -one click." If you just use the reticle and hashes or dots figure out whether or not you're going to use something like "Target, -2 mils +2 tenths."

Games are fun. You can use them for training. Training is reinforced when you're successful. Someone who goes into combat or to kill a trophy that ultimately costs thousands of dollars and days of vacation time relying solely on data they get from their phone or from what they learned shooting PRS might be disappointed.

Hey guys!

I shot my first match this weekend, and learned a ton about what I like and don't like about my set up.

Hoping to have a discussion on wrist coach usage and dope cards!

Currently, I have dope in a few different areas.
1) Taped to my rifle stock. I have a dope card for my main load on all rifles, taped to the stock. Dope is 100 yard increments until 25 yards is needed, out to the supersonic range of the cartridge. I have DA of 0, 5000, and 10000, to cover almost all my bases for what I can see where I live. If I'm using this dope, it's quick math anyways, so a 7,500 foot DA day just splits the difference between 5000 and 10000 foot data
2) Data book. My data book is really just a combination of drop charts and reminders about how to shoot long range. Ranging formulas, slope dope, wind calling, etc. My drop cards here are full tables with 2,000 foot DA steps from like 0 to 14,000. 25 yard increments to the supersonic range of the cartridge. I have one of these printed for every load I've chronographed through my rifle. Can't hurt to have these, and once verified, the data works great.
3) Mini dope cards. These are 3x5 printed dope cards that pretty much mimic the ones taped to the rifle stock. I have one printed for almost every load I can shoot in my guns. These go inside my arm board as a portable data book when I don't want to bring the book.
4) AB mobile on iphone. Typically have my phone with me, nice to play with at the range.

Cool, now we have an idea of how my dope is laid out.

On my wrist coach, I'd typically have the 3x5 card for the load I'm shooting in the main window. On the backside of the flap, I have a density altitude and barometric pressure chart, as I don't have a kestrel. It typically gets me within a few hundred foot of DA just using my watch. On the true inside flap, I have a small data book type thing. Slope dope, ranging formulas, that type of stuff. Info that's nice to have that I don't have yet committed to memory.

I shot my first match this weekend, and hated how I was doing dope. I kept the front card out and had it blank white. I was writing with grease pencil which sucked in 95 degree heat, and was pulling data from my phone before each stage to put on the 3x5 card. I never referenced the inside two cards of my wrist band, as why would I use those on the clock...

For me, the armboard is my databook away from my data book. With the 3x5 cards, the idea is I can have all my dope for a load, and change out to whatever load I'm shooting. In theory, great. In practice, I had no 3x5 and used my phone, so a piece of string and a 3x5 card would have worked better.

I'm thinking of switching it up and using the armboard differently. From what I've seen people do, there are a few ways to use the different sleeves:
Blank front, Single density cards inside but have a few cards on hand. Write dope on front for stage.
Density dope card in front, extra density card inside, maybe a photo of reticle. Read dope from card.
Blank up front, density card inside, reticle or whatever inside.

I think I'd like to go blank up front to write stage data, DA pressure chart to have on hand still, and DA dope card inside. But, I worry I'd miss having the data in the main window always.

Sorry for the gigantic ramble here, kind of just word vommiting my thoughts out here with what I'd like to have, but also frustrations.

What have you all found to be your best solution to: Go calculatorless in the field, keep dope handy and easily accessible(for multiple conditions), and prepare dope for quick access during a match? I'm trying to figure it out and it's hurting my head. Probably overthinking it, so someone please bitch slap me into reality if that's the case and tell me to use blank 3x5 cards for each stage and treat comps different than hunting.
That is WAY too complicated.....DA from 0 to 14,000ft? WTF

You need to simplify, no wonder you're frustrated.

My dope is in three laminated data cards. One card for 90F, one for 60F, one for 30F, all at the same altitude. Each card has distance from 100 to 1200 yds in 25 yd increments and drift for 5/10/15/20 mph full value wind

I pick one card based on ambient temperature, pick out the elevations and windages I need for each target of a stage, write em on an index card, slip it in the wrist coach, and go shoot.

Last edited:
Use 2,000 ft elevation and 70 degrees F for your baseline dope, and you won't have to change it very much. An exception would be someplace like the Rockies and you were over 4,000ft.

Reactions: Fig
I'm not saying any of the above information is good or not. I'm just describing what I do personally. I'm relatively new still (only 2 matches under my belt) but as far as I can tell my set up is very similar to a lot of other shooters at my local matches.

$80 weatherflow meter that pairs to a ballistic app on your phone. (if you want to stay budget friendly vs. a kestrel)
some sort of data card holder. whether it be on your rifle or your arm.

in my limited experience there's plenty of time between stages for you to gather data and write your dope for your next stage. I re-pull all my atmospherics between each stage. then I even input the exact yardage for the target into the app and get the exact elevation correction. I don't think I would ever have pre-made cards at varying temps and DA and all that when I can just get the data live from my phone. if my phone or meter fails, there are 75-100 other people there that have meters and phones to help you get by. The conditions just change way too much during the day to have something premade IMO.

2 scenarios:

1) the stage is only using a single distance. obviously you don't need to write anything down anywhere. just dial and shoot
2) varying distances/targets. now is when I hook up my data card holder (takes 15 seconds), fill out a 3x5 card and clip it to my holder.

sure electronics can "fail in the field" but whatever. doesn't mean you cant use this as your primary, but just need to know how to get by if they do fail. but specifically talking about PRS matches and not hiking in the mountains camping/hunting then I wouldn't worry yourself too much about all that.

but as others have said, i think your process is way over complicated.

good luck and report back what you try next!

I use my phone because it’s fastest to pull dope for yardages and to do a multiple wind speed multiple target wind bracket.

I bring a hard copy paper dope, printed for the altitude and temperatures for the actual match location, in case my phone craps out.

I also have a mini dope sheet in my arm board, because I’ve shot stages where they didn’t give you the yardage until you were on the clock.

Reactions: Diver160651
I found what's simplest for me is to get a data board that mounts on or around your optic on your non-dominant side. I write down the dope for the stage, and stick it on the board (you can use tape, dry erase, card holders with paper slips, etc.) and it's right there in front of you. Even with a wristcoach you're coming off the glass and breaking your cheek weld to look at things depending on the stage. With a data board you are never more than a non-dominant eye shot away from what you need for the stage. Take your phone, or kestrel, or whatever has your AB and update the atmospherics and just write what you need and only what you need before the stage.

You don't want clutter when you're already on a time crunch.

I have all my dope out to 1,500 yards, in 25 yard increments, on my wrist coach. I have multiple cards for adjusted altitudes, but only use two or three. I use that to write the holds for the stage on the data card on the rifle. I usually don't wear the wrist coach, but just keep it in my pocket.

I have the fancy Kestrel, but pretty much just use it to get the wind velocity at my position, and then I use full, half, and quarter values on my "wind guess". I dial range and hold for wind. If it's beyond 1000 yards and the wind is really moving (more than 5mils) I will dial wind, but that's about the only time. It's rare I'll pull out a solver other than when doing load workups and trying to get everything lined up and figured out. Once it's there I want it all written down, and not reliant on anything electronic. As long as they're aids I'm good with it. Like you, I just don't want to be relying on electronics.

My dope is in three laminated data cards. One card for 90F, one for 60F, one for 30F, all at the same altitude. Each card has distance from 100 to 1200 yds in 25 yd increments and drift for 5/10/15/20 mph full value wind

I pick one card based on ambient temperature, pick out the elevations and windages I need for each target of a stage, write em on an index card, slip it in the wrist coach, and go shoot.
Mind if we see a pic of a card?

I live in Colorado, where I live year round can see DA of 4,000 to 8,500 depending on temperature alone. If you add in heading to the mountains to shoot a bit or going on a trip to lower elevation, I find it totally reasonable to have 0-14,000 feet in a sheet in my data book! If I'm referencing data book info, it's in a low stress setting anyways, can't hurt to have the extra info.

I'm basically trying to replace ballistic computers by doing a shit ton of homework. For range shooting, referencing a 3x5 drop chart that has ALL distances isn't really an issue on a wrist coach. It's when you get 6+ targets at different distances, referencing the card becomes an issue, trying to remember the distance of each target.

I have all my dope out to 1,500 yards, in 25 yard increments, on my wrist coach. I have multiple cards for adjusted altitudes, but only use two or three. I use that to write the holds for the stage on the data card on the rifle. I usually don't wear the wrist coach, but just keep it in my pocket.

I have the fancy Kestrel, but pretty much just use it to get the wind velocity at my position, and then I use full, half, and quarter values on my "wind guess". I dial range and hold for wind. If it's beyond 1000 yards and the wind is really moving (more than 5mils) I will dial wind, but that's about the only time. It's rare I'll pull out a solver other than when doing load workups and trying to get everything lined up and figured out. Once it's there I want it all written down, and not reliant on anything electronic. As long as they're aids I'm good with it. Like you, I just don't want to be relying on electronics.
That's really my goal here. I just got frustrated referencing my phone to create the dope chart for each stage, especially when the data from the phone was the same as printed in my data book and on my mini 3x5 cards.

Mini data book in the armboard works fine if you don't need to remember 6 distances. Trying to figure that piece out and make it work for competition.

That's really my goal here. I just got frustrated referencing my phone to create the dope chart for each stage, especially when the data from the phone was the same as printed in my data book and on my mini 3x5 cards.

Mini data book in the armboard works fine if you don't need to remember 6 distances. Trying to figure that piece out and make it work for competition.

Ok so even if you don't want to use computers, why don't you just write the distances for that stage on a 3x5 and then throw it away after the stage? That's what I do. I carry a pack of 3x5 cards and each stage I write the dope I need and that's it.

Reactions: 308pirate
I'm not saying any of the above information is good or not. I'm just describing what I do personally. I'm relatively new still (only 2 matches under my belt) but as far as I can tell my set up is very similar to a lot of other shooters at my local matches.

$80 weatherflow meter that pairs to a ballistic app on your phone. (if you want to stay budget friendly vs. a kestrel)
some sort of data card holder. whether it be on your rifle or your arm.

in my limited experience there's plenty of time between stages for you to gather data and write your dope for your next stage. I re-pull all my atmospherics between each stage. then I even input the exact yardage for the target into the app and get the exact elevation correction. I don't think I would ever have pre-made cards at varying temps and DA and all that when I can just get the data live from my phone. if my phone or meter fails, there are 75-100 other people there that have meters and phones to help you get by. The conditions just change way too much during the day to have something premade IMO.

2 scenarios:

1) the stage is only using a single distance. obviously you don't need to write anything down anywhere. just dial and shoot
2) varying distances/targets. now is when I hook up my data card holder (takes 15 seconds), fill out a 3x5 card and clip it to my holder.

sure electronics can "fail in the field" but whatever. doesn't mean you cant use this as your primary, but just need to know how to get by if they do fail. but specifically talking about PRS matches and not hiking in the mountains camping/hunting then I wouldn't worry yourself too much about all that.

but as others have said, i think your process is way over complicated.

good luck and report back what you try next!

Much appreciate the insight here. I here you on using the ballistic app on the phone, it's 100% the easiest and what I'd ideally do, because it's 2018 lets be real. BUT, something is pulling me towards going calculatorless once you're shooting, and just using the apps to help you get your data up and running. Which is why I'm happy as hell with my data book, the multiple DA charts work really well here for me when I'm on a flat range going slow, I can lay out and reference without whipping out my phone as the data is the same, because the app generated it.

The struggle is converting that data book into a armboard. 3x5 card works, but can become confusing when there are multiple targets.

People were asking for photos:
Here is what a load in my data book looks like. Multiple DA's to basically replace a calculator:
Here's the rifle stock data card, same data for matching DA's as the data book:
My 3x5 dope cards with multiple DA. These go in the wrist board depending on the load I'm shooting:
My DA conversion chart and mini data book info on the inside of the wrist coach:

So, trying to figure out how to keep data for the load I'm shooting on hand, but also make stages easy during a competition.

The dope hand thing might force me to KISS, but, I still want those DA cards on hand for some reason.

Ok so even if you don't want to use computers, why don't you just write the distances for that stage on a 3x5 and then throw it away after the stage? That's what I do. I carry a pack of 3x5 cards and each stage I write the dope I need and that's it.
Seems like that might be the plan here. Wanting to have it all in one on the wrist coach/have the main dope card as the main sleeve, but I may have to KISS for it to work for competition.

Seems like that might be the plan here. Wanting to have it all in one on the wrist coach/have the main dope card as the main sleeve, but I may have to KISS for it to work for competition.

Another option is use a pic rail mounted dope card. Reference your wrist coach for the data then write the targets and mils on the pic rail card. Done.

For matches I’ve switched over the the “handy” a couple months ago after trying one out. Great for hot weather climate and has a Velcro back’d plastic card that I throw down my stage data on with a dry erase pen.

When I go shoot a stage, I write what I need on a note card during prep and toss it when I'm done.

Not sure why some of you guys want to overcomplicate the fuck out of this, but whatever.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Reactions: Crews
When I go shoot a stage, I write what I need on a note card during prep and toss it when I'm done.

Not sure why some of you guys want to overcomplicate the fuck out of this, but whatever.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Couldn’t tell you why I thought my system would be a good one when i thought he whole thing up.

So you all know, I think my go forward plan is to get the handy or impact data wrist band, and write stage dope on that to keep the form factor small.

For stages where you don’t know the distance before, I’ll have some cards printed for a single DA that goes on the board.

Yay, best of both worlds and just a velcro stick away.

I’ll still keep my multiple DA drop charts to reference instead of my phone, but likely in a pocket.

Thanks for helping me unfuck myself. Reality check was needed.

KISS

Edit: I should've read through the entire thread before commenting.

If your goal is to replace a ballistic solver with data cards, more power to you.

It sounds like with the addition of using a blank card for stage dope during matches you'll probably have a system you can work with.

Last edited:
What are some places to look for an arm board. I used the Cutter brand in high school for football and found it extremely useful and would run an offense with one. It had a outter sheet, with a flip up velcro and two sheets inside.

I think UnderArmor makes one as well. Any shooter specific, or different ones made currently? Would say more durable, but those Cutter ones survived a season of games and practices, good track record in my book.

I’m looking for something to have stages on the outside, with a local page (Alabama, 500’, 30*,90*), and a third page with a reticle picture, MIL formula, and Lowlight’s updated wind rose if I can fit it.

That’s what I’ve got. I think it was $10, but it’s blue. I’m sure someone makes it cammo, calls it a “tactical” wrist coach, and now it’s $50.
Sunrise tactical, $45. Pretty much the exact same thing but brown and has a pen holder.

That isn’t to knock it, though, the thing is very well made. For the post above, it would work well for you.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Edit: I should've read through the entire thread before commenting.

If your goal is to replace a ballistic solver with data cards, more power to you.

It sounds like with the addition of using a blank card for stage dope during matches you'll probably have a system you can work with.
I just want to be less reliant on them.

Looks like I’m going to get the HDC handy to write stages on, and have a dope card for a single DA that I’ll slap on if doing UKD. If the DA changes(like, 2,000 foot difference), swap the card out with the next value I have printed. Still planning on keeping the 3x5 mini databook stuff, takes 5 minutes to have a full run of solutions for a load and can’t hurt to have.

Excited to see how this all works. Basically just keeping the same info on hand, but downsizing and streamlining what I have immediately available.

Not a bad idea for when the lights go out...
I should bring my AB books and a slide rule to the field too huh, just in case...

Just wanted to voice frustrations with my current system and get input on where to go. Appreicate all the discussion here everyone! Excited to see what I can build with this input and see how it works. I’ll share once I’m dialed!!!

The majority of the matches I shoot I do it with just my Da cards. I will make cards prior to the match with the projected temperatures and Da’s. But I will have blank ones on hand to change in the fly if need be.

When attacking a stage with the Da card and multiple targets, I use a wet erase or grease pencil depending upon the weather conditions and box around the dope. So in the quickness it’s just glancing down at your forearm and finding the right box.

I do have wind charts to go along with each Da card. And the other pertinent data in my wrist coach, such as a milling cut sheet.

I use the new Sunrise Tactical wrist coach. Very well made and plenty of room for all the data. Also, the owner is a super nice guy and supports a bunch of matches here in the NW.

Really, it’s just trial and error and watching what other folks do and taking what works. I train and shoot with a former STA guy who poo-Poohs all electronics and makes me shoot without them. It’s a great skill to have.

Update here! Not sure if anyone actually cares, but I’m excited.

I ordered myself the HDC Gear “Handy”(best name ever) to use here instead of the larger arm board. The form factor is much smaller and it’ll force me to keep it simple. It’s slightly overpriced, american made, and I’m happy I got it.

The handy came with 1 card, though I ordered an extra. It’s a credit card blank with velcro on the back, and the idea is to write dope in permanent pen, and use alcohol wipes to clean it. Playing around with it today, seems really well made, and the right size for something like this. I can easily fit 10 ranges, drops, and wind calls without feeling cluttered. I’ll probably use a wet erase most the time.

So, moving forward, if I’m at a match and there is time/the situation is right, I’ll be writing dope down on the credit card sized piece and rolling with it. Simple.

And, to continue on with me wanting to have printed cards to play with, I’ll be making DA cards for my most shot loads in my rifles, with a decent spread of DA. If shooting UKD or something, I’ll just grab the card with the closest DA and roll with it, laminated with velcro on the back to slap on. Should be simple enough, and solves my stupid ass issue of having multiple DA on a chart I wanted to use quickly. I’ll just have a pouch or something with extra cards if the DA swings through the day.

Because someone asked, picture of my current dope card cut to fit the handy(ignore numbers, but size and layout is the same for a new card), and the card(s) I’ll be replacing it with once I print. With tweaking between 100-500 yards, you can fit 1 mile of dope, but I stop off at 1300 for the grendel.

Glad I learned what works and what doesn’t for me early on in this long range game. Time to simplify and go burn this barrel out.

Pictures!

That little white board is pretty cool. I was at a dive store last week looking at wrist slates but all the diving ones are way too large & bulky. I used to scuba and can't see why you would need to write so much underwater......

That little white board is pretty cool. I was at a dive store last week looking at wrist slates but all the diving ones are way too large & bulky. I used to scuba and can't see why you would need to write so much underwater......

Depends on the diving your doing, I used to do extended range diving and I kept my deco stops and times written on a board. I've also used it to communicate with other divers while helping teach classes or just wanting to let my buddy know what compass heading to navigate on back to the shore when he didn't believe my directions.

Glad to see the HANDY from HDC being mentioned. We just started carrying this product and have been happy with what we see. Very cool that it has different ways it can be worn/oriented.
HDC-Gear-HANDY.html

IMG_1209.jpg

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
I use a wrist coach. I get the data from my kestrel 5700 for each Target and write on a 3x5. Example:
Stage 3
Target 1 - 3.5 mils
Target 2 - 2.7 mils
Target 3 - 4.9 mils

That’s it. Don’t make this super complicated.

I do this with a piece of white duct tape and a black sharpie. The special rain edition is a piece of clear packing tape over it. It can be stuck anywhere you want on your sleeve, bag, or whatever.