• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

XM3 receiver question

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Have a stainless r700, its an old xcr lrt in 223. Is the serial# close enough to the real xm3’s for a clone build?
IMG_5792.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a clone, it all depends on how "original" you want it to be. Are you a purist, or do you want a rifle "just like it"?
The R700 hasn't changed much in 62 years, is there going to be a big difference operationally if you sourced an action made in 2005 versus one made in 2015 blued steel or otherwise?
The answer is no. The purists will tell you it isn't a "real" XM3, but guess what, it isn't a real XM3, they made what, 52 of them? It's a fucking clone.
You could source a proper remington bolt for that action, there are plenty available.

It's a clone, it all depends on how "original" you want it to be. Are you a purist, or do you want a rifle "just like it"?
The R700 hasn't changed much in 62 years, is there going to be a big difference operationally if you sourced an action made in 2005 versus one made in 2015 blued steel or otherwise?
The answer is no. The purists will tell you it isn't a "real" XM3, but guess what, it isn't a real XM3, they made what, 52 of them? It's a fucking clone.
You could source a proper remington bolt for that action, there are plenty available.

Yeah, I don't understand how autistic the cloning community is around serial numbers.

No matter what, the serial number won't be correct unless it's a real XM3. If every letter and number don't match, then it's not correct.

It’s all degrees. Quite honestly, the joy of cloning for me is the hunt for obscure or hard to find parts. If narrowing down a serial number fits my need to then browse Gunbroker for hours to find it, I did it because I enjoyed the search.

To each their own.

To the OP’s question on serial number, both answers weren’t around serial number. It’s more that the XCR had a very specific branding, and has “Remington 700 Tactical” engraved on it. It’s like a step backwards, a standard 700 action without an S serial would be closer.

Reactions: kthomas