Xtreme receiver for 408 CT-based rifles

Re: Xtreme receiver for 408 CT-based rifles

Buy a BAT Machine receiver,and don't look back.
338 ex,338 cheyt,338 snipe tac,338 big baer and 338/408 are all based on the 408 cheytac case. great elr cartridge,but a barrel burner.
there are more than a handful of guys around here that shoot them.

Also seriously consider Kirby Allen. He has built some unreal rifles. He has taken a prarie dog at 2400+ yards with one of his 338 Allen Magnums.

ELR researcher;

Bruce Baer, Joel Russo, and with out question Kirby Allen and Dave Vires in my opinion have some of the best advise and information regarding this cartridge, and selecting the right action for your needs. I think these fellas can give some solid direction on what works well. I have a 338 Snipetac from Dave Vires and am very satisfied with the quality of the Lawton 8000 based rifle. This one was made back in 08-09.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also seriously consider Kirby Allen. He has built some unreal rifles. He has taken a prarie dog at 2400+ yards with one of his 338 Allen Magnums. </div></div> +1 , i forgot to mention his name. Allen Precision Shooting.

Based on BAT's current website, they do not build a repeater that will handle a cartridge based on the 408 CT case. As best I can tell, only Lawton, Stiller, and Xtreme build such an action.

I recall having seen threads about Lawton indicating some question about them being in business and meeting their commitments (if I'm recalling the correct company).

I've sent an e-mail to BAT (too early in the day to catch their "open for calls" hours) asking whether by chance their site is not current - or, in any case, whether they will build a repeater for this cartridge.

I will also search this site for those "nightmare threads" about Xtreme.

Any more input would be appreciated - I'm mostly interested in info about build quality, product reliability, and long range performance. I can live with it taking a little longer to get built. [BTW, I called them yesterday and the owner quoted 60 days on delivery. This thread was started becuase I never see their name come up and wanted input from others.]

Thanks agian.

zip...

Yes, Stiller is an option. That noted, so far I have received no input on what I am trying to find outabout Xtreme's product - as above, "I'm mostly interested in info about build quality, product reliability, and long range performance. I can live with it taking a little longer to get built."

BTW, BAT and APS are not options since neither produce a repeater action for the CT.

I've had a Xtreme rifle in the shop and was not that impressed with the actions. I use to use all Lawton actions for my cheytac builds but since they've gone M.I.A I went to Stiller for actions and glad I did. Very solid actions and a great company with excellent customer service.

For a 338 case look at some of Bruce Baer's case's he has brass ready to go for most of them or even the 338 snipetac.

All I can say is stay away from any thing Lawton! They are having some big issues. They also have my money and I have empty hands. It took me 4 months to get an action that was "sitting on the shelf" and I still don't have a barrel.

I would go with a BAT, Stiller, or a empty Coke can before I would even think about Lawton!

Lodi, I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you are having to deal with regarding Lawton. My experience has been the exact opposite when Lawton had better days. On another note I'm originally from Glade Spring / Thomas Bridge. I understand that there was a long range shoot held there a couple of years ago in the Glade area, friends from Marion that went to the event said it was a great shoot. Do you know if there will be shoot held there in the next year. ELR, I apologize for getting off subject.

Chandalar, The first experience I had with Lawton was a great one. I called and ordered my 7500 action for my .338 and it was in the shop in less than two weeks. But my second go around hasn't been pleasant to say the least.

Wanted to clarify that publicly and I'll send you a PM on the ELR shoot.

I asked BAT for a repeater as well, they didn't have one or plan on making one.

I went with the Lawton 8000 repeater instead. The guy that took my order siad they had one in stock, but it took five months and finally someone else at Lawton to get it to my smith. First guy was reported not to work there anymore. I was not in a hurry, so I did not hassle them too much. Still waiting on a .375 barrel to finish this project.

I just had Robert send me a 338 Snipe-tac with a Stiller, it is very nice. Lawton will be MIA. But there is Rumor of a few new ones out there. Juggernaught is looking good. Kirby website shows his action. Took the best out there then built his own. Nice very nice.

holdthatcow:

FYI, APS does not produce a 408 CT-compatible action. Nor does BAT. As noted a couple of times above, the only options appear to be Lawton (if still in production), Stiller, and Xtreme.

All:

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply to my inquiry. I will check things out at SHOT in January and go from their.

Snowy Mountain is another possibility for you, as well as Barnard, Barnard from what I've read may be the, or a "very" good choice, they have some of the better machining practices out there. I would also recommend going with a single action! I can tell you from a $$painful$$ experience that firing these .338 calibers to fast leads to contacting a barrel maker in as much as 500 rounds! The single action is not a bad option and because of its rigidity will probably yield better results. I've had a Lawton 8500, and the current 8000, My #1 choice if you can find one is an 8500, its shorter, single shot, and I believe may be the better of the two due to its rigidity. I would also recommend going with a standard .375 Cheytac. You can get brass off the shelf from Jamison, the quality is fantastic, your barrel life will at be least double, Fire forming the brass is a real job, and is expensive as well as time consuming. Cutting Edge Bullets are making some fine bullets for all of these Cheytac based cartridges. Due to barrel life and the amazing performance of the .375 I think its a great option. Having Kirby, Dave, or Bruce build you one of these I believe will get the results you are hoping for due to there experience, results and customer feed back. Again good luck with all this madness.

Chandler:

Thanks for your response.

FYI:

1. I contacted Snowy Mountain and they advised they have no bottom metal for their repeater action (that's why I excluded them), their focus has been the single shot version. As noted in my original post, I'm looking for a repeater.

2. Barnard's action is single shot only.

3. I will get a fire-forming barrel made (chamber and thread a worn out barrel) to save the "real" barrel. I'd do that in any case, regardless of cartridge selected or platform.

4. There are tons of 338 bullet options - see the .338 bullet matrix on my site, www.ele-resources.com, where I list 37 vs 20 in .375.

5. Both Kirby (338 AM) and Joel Russo (338 Big Baer) have quality brass available - both better than the "off-the-shelf" Jamison. They could be used for their respective cartridge cases but also for a 338 Xtreme if I decided to go that way.

The above noted, the current discussion (this thread) is about the Xtreme repeater action. As I last posted, I hope to sort things out during SHOT in January.

Again, thanks for your response.

See "Precision Shooting" September-2010 issue for test of a 338 Xtreme rifle.

If you need a repeater action you could also check with Dave Viers, inventor of Snipetac. There are some pics on; http://www.viersco.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELR researcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holdthatcow:
FYI, APS does not produce a 408 CT-compatible action. Nor does BAT. As noted a couple of times above, the only options appear to be Lawton (if still in production), Stiller, and Xtreme.
</div></div>

BAT does produce 408 CT actions, the 8.5 and 10 sizes. But they are not repeaters. See
http://www.batmachine.com/products/products.htm

(click "actions" then click "confige actions")

bbw

Thanks for the PS citation - I pulled that issue and read the article. The specs in that article appear straight from the Xtreme site - and look excellent (the reason I'm considering the)! I particularly like their bolt configuration. They are exhibiting at SHOT, so come January I hope to get some hands-on.

I've e-mailed Viersco to inquire about their action. [I note the three rifle builds they list/price all use the Lawton action, but the 338 ST info page shows a repeater that they identify as their own.] We'll see what comes back via e-mail.

I e-mailed BAT about the "possibility" of them having a repeater version but recived no reply. Flying Dutchman (above) spoke with them and confirmed no such current action and no plans for doing one - as I read his post.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Jimmy M40a2:

I finally got around to looking for those "few nightmare threads in dealing with that company" you warned about, above. I only found one but it sure got me thinking. I'm now considering refocusing on Kirby for a 338 AM or going with a Sako TRG-42 (dropping back to 338 LM) - and hopefully, in either case, not having to sweat my own "nightmare". Don't recall a bad post about either.

I will keep an open mind and look real hard at SHOT...that said, its really hard to know who to trust once someone relates a long, ugly experience like the one you referred me to.

BTW (all), I will also (now) get around to e-mailing Kirby to check on his experience with Xtreme. Haven't done it earlier because I figured it was more a "business deal" complaint. Anyway, I'll e-mail and find out.

Thanks again for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kirby seems like a stand up guy that is very knowledgble. I have only talked to him a few times but he seems GTG.</div></div>

Kirby is definitely GTG, and I'd say the #1 guy to get information about the Cheytac wildcats from.

Chandler:

I received a very prompt reply from PGW Defense (the Timberwolf folks) in regards the availability of their 408 CT-capable repeater action.

"It is occasionally available stand alone. We make it here however we generally supply complete rifles."

Possibly someone reading this post has had experience with this action and will share it. As best I know, their action is the only three (bolt) lug receiver available.