Yugo M48

Queequeg

Door Man
Minuteman
May 16, 2008
Florida, Hillsborough county
Any one refitted one of the Yugoslav M48s that were (Maybe still are?)available into a scoped version.

I have one ( no scope mount) I picked up 5 years ago from a Tampa gun store. I do not know were they obtained it. It's in very nice shape and shoots well. It is missing the cleaning rod and a sling.

The wood is in excellent condition but the first couple of outings with it had the wood profusely sweating out the many years of preservative. It doesn't seem to have had any deleterious effect as the wood isn't especially dark nor is the grain indistinct. In fact, both pieces of the stock are pretty nice pieces of walnut!

Perhaps the stories of these rifles being kept in storage for 60 years were true. Mine certainly doesn't look to have been used much at all.

I'd love to see just how good it shoots with a properly mounted scope. As mine doesn't have the pedigree of the older 98s, let alone the sniper variants, I don't feel like I'd be sacrificing any intrinsic value.

Basically, I'm interested in coming up with a mount for a modern scope. Replacing the safety with a Winchester type lateral swing type would enable me to have a lower mounted scope as well.

I'm curious if anyone has modified their M48s along the lines I'm inclined.

Re: Yugo M48

Few years ago I took a Yugo and welded a small ring Farrel 20moa base on it. They didnt make stocks for it so I opened up a small ring stock at the front receiver ring. New trigger, a dayston, and a new barrel, 308.

It is sweet but like all mausers locktime is a bit slow, however no civilian rifle sounds like it when you dry fire!

I did all the work myself, so it wasnt all that expensive.

VERY accurate, has won a local match or two and always against some woo-hoo high speed rifles with their super camo stocks and detachable mags that cost more than my entire rig there.

But if I was to start from scratch, I would be tearing apart Savages and rebuilding them. Get me one of those palma barrels to run with the big dawgs in F-Tr.

They are a bit heavier than more modern action, but they still work.

Good Luck

Took my 48 with me today and did some educational open sight shooting. Ran 35 rounds of old surplus and 15 rounds of S&B hunting ammo through her.

It wouldn't have happened but for finding this new forum: I had been neglecting the old girl.

So who has the M48 anymore? Are there any "un-issued" variants for sale anymore? Is ammo for the Mauser becoming extinct?

I really want a German Mauser (un-peened), but I have a real liking for the Yugo M48's.