Zeiss LRP S3 - setting zero stop below zero

Norman1950

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2020
Meridian, ID
I am receiving my first Zeiss LRP S3 in mil tomorrow. This will be going on a rimfire for PRS/NRL22.

Is it possible to set the zero stop a couple tenths below zero for those closer than 50 yards. Obviously I can hold under, but was wondering if there was a way to dial "under". I looked through the user manual, but only saw the portion for setting a true zero. Also did the google/youtube search and wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks.

If I remember correctly on mine, you should be able to. The black inner ring that you loosen set screws on, I think you could achieve a zero stop bellow zero if it’s held slightly off the base. I think if you were to put two feeler gauges of same thickness on either side of center post and then tighten the set screw on the black inner ring you should be able to achieve your goal. Might be trial and error. I’m sure my explanation isn’t great but I’m going off memory. I have the S3 on my Rimx and I thought about it but with the speed of the rifle I think a tenth was max I would need to hold under. Hopefully that helps. lol

Reactions: Norman1950
EVERY scope I have that has a zero stop function is set where I determine is zero. How the hell does a scope from Japan, China, Austria or Orofino know where to set the zero?

Find you zero, dial however many more you want and set the thing.

Yes it's very easy to set the zero stop below your zero. I do it with my S3s. When you get it in you will see how it works.

Reactions: Norman1950
Am I thinking this right? Zero the S3 then turn the elevation " x" clicks down and remember this setting. Remove the turret cover and set the zero stop collar. Replace the turret cover to "x" and tighten the set screws. Finally move the turret back to zero with "x" clicks up and there should be the ability to go "x" clicks below zero.

I do it simply to keep from hitting that stop as a hard stop. I have no evidence that's a bad thing, and it probably isn't, but I do it anyway. I paid for all that stuff, it's mine and I'll do what I want.

might want to consider zeroing at 35 yards.

Here's a .5" target. The 35 yard target with a 50 yard zero is a quirk, but it's blown away out of proportion. Sure it's .2 mil, but it's such a close distance that it's not very much.

Screenshot_20241012-084748~2.png

Reactions: Rob01
Fixing a problem that doesn't exist, because we're bored and we have Internet.

You hit the top of that box instead of the bottom and you just missed on a 1 MOA target.

If someone wants the ability to make dialing corrections over these short distances, a 35 yd zero takes care of the need to dial below your zero.

It's cool that it's not a problem for you, but it's apparently a problem for OP. Maybe you should help him out.

You hit the top of that box instead of the bottom and you just missed on a 1 MOA target.

If someone wants the ability to make dialing corrections over these short distances, a 35 yd zero takes care of the need to dial below your zero.

It's cool that it's not a problem for you, but it's apparently a problem for OP. Maybe you should help him out.

Or did he not realize that the furthest he'll ever need to hold under is about half the bullet width at 35 yards?

Reactions: Rob01