Zeiss LRP S3 turret

jumrobe

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
I have a Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 that I’m using on a my 16” 6.5 Creedmoor while I wait for the 22” barrel to come in.

I had it out this weekend and got it zeroed and the zero stop set, no issues.

Where the issues start, is after ‘exercising’ the turrets a bit. After I had confirmed my zero and had the zero stop set, I dialed the elevation turret until it stopped and for 18.8 mils.

I returned the gun to the zero stop and fired another group to confirm tracking. I repeated this process 4 more times to feel confident that everything is tracking.

Well, today when I took the gun out for some dry fire, I exercised the elevation turret and for 18.8 Mils on the first run up and back down. On the second run, the turret hit the wall at 17.5 Mils and then went “soft” where it would turn, but I could hear that it wasn’t moving the turret. I thought that was weird so I ran the turret up and down again and repeatedly had the turret go “soft at 17.5 mils.

On the last run up (I did this process 2-3 times out of bewilderment), the elevation turret came off, with the zero stop inside!

I thought I had everything torqued to spec, but apparently not for the turret cap to slip off of the turret with the zero stop inside.

I managed to get the zero stop and turret back onto the scope, but I know the turret will need to be reset to the position it was zeroed in.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with the Zeiss LRP turrets where the cap doesn’t stay torqued on?

Last edited:
I've read a couple posts where the turret on the S3 has slipped. I believe that all have been attributed to not tightening the set screws enough. Nobody wants to damage a scope...

Given that the set screw is steel and the internal materials are brass, you should be able to see where the screws have made contact with the elevation mech. There may even been some burnishing on the brass surface where the set screw has slipped.

I did not care for the torx wrench that Zeiss provides. My big clumsy hands tend to drop small wrenches at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place. I keep a set of these Wiha winged torx wrenches in my range bag. Size T6 thru T20. The S3 uses a T8.

1719251937772.png

Last edited:
I've read a couple posts where the turret on the S3 has slipped. I believe that all have been attributed to not tightening the set screws enough. Nobody wants to damage a scope...

Given that the set screw is steel and the internal materials are brass, you should be able to see where the screws have made contact with the elevation mech. There may even been some burnishing on the brass surface where the set screw has slipped.

I did not care for the torx wrench that Zeiss provides. My big clumsy hands tend to drop small wrenches at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place. I keep a set of these Wiha winged torx wrenches in my range bag. Size T6 thru T20. The S3 uses a T6.

View attachment 8445567
That makes sense. I’m pretty sure the turret screw and zero stop screws (which are what engage the internal turret) are T8.

I’ve been using a Kobalt t8 screw driver and tightening until I could feel the screws on both the zero stop, and then the turret, stop turning. I guess the 8.8 in/lbs torque spec had me scared of over torquing things:

Reactions: Ichi
That makes sense. I’m pretty sure the turret screw and zero stop screws (which are what engage the internal turret) are T8.

I’ve been using a Kobalt t8 screw driver and tightening until I could feel the screws on both the zero stop, and then the turret, stop turning. I guess the 8.8 in/lbs torque spec had me scared of over torquing things:
You are correct. The S3 uses a T8 wrench.