• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Zeiss Rapid Z Ballistic Reticles

scullti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Hartland, CT
I was shopping around on promotive and I found that they have really good deals on zeiss diavari scopes. I saw that one of the options comes with the RZ 1000 reticle, which I looked up but it doesn't really make sense to me. Here is the description it gives on the site:

"The four state-of-the-art RAPID-Z® ballistic reticles by Carl Zeiss offer long-range hunters the supreme advantage of precision aiming with accurate holdover and wind-corrected information for shots at extended distances - without complication. And because the reticle is located in the second image plane, there is minimal target cover, even at high magnification. Combined with an integrated ranging feature, all the information you need to make clean, precise shots from the greatest distances is displayed clearly within the scope. Eliminating the need for estimation or timely calculations.

RAPID-Z® ballistic reticles feature numbered holdover lines that correspond to target distances and wind compensation hashes to correct for crosswinds. Once the distance and crosswind has been determined the corresponding holdover line is placed over your target for a precise shot, even from long range."

My question is, how does that work? Is it mils or moa, or something different that I'm missing? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I just really don't get it and hopefully you guys could bestow your wisdom on the subject. I'd also really appreciate it if some zeiss guys could chime in!

Re: Zeiss Rapid Z Ballistic Reticles

It is only effective at a pre-determined magnification. The instructions say to calculate your optimum power using the website calculator, which I think it's 10 power. Then, using that power, sight in for 200 yds. Then shoot at 400 yds and if you're low then turn the power down a little and the opposite if you're shooting high.

Yeah, I figured it only worked on a set magnification since it is 2FP. Is it their own system they made up, or is it based off a mil or moa system?

The turrets are MOA but if you're using the reticles, it's somewhat of a moot point (in my opinion).

They produce the RZ 1000 reticles using a common velocity for faster cartridges, the RZ 600 is used for slower class cartridges.

If you know your actual ballistics, they have a calculator which will provide you the optimal power setting on your particular power scope to most closely align with the reticles you have chosen. For instance, I shoot a 325 WSM and use the RZ 600 reticle in a 2.5X10 Conquest. Based on my actual ballistics, my optimal power setting to match the 200 yard zero for 300, 400, 500 & 600 hundred yard lines in the scope is 8.37 power. Actual points of impact for the RZ 600 reticles and my load at that power (based on the calculator) are 307, 405, 506 & 600 yards respectively. Pretty darn close to perfect for a hunting rifle.

I have several very high end scopes with .mil dial-ups but the RZ 600 is still one of my favorite little scopes. It's simple and it's fast. Good glass BTW.

Hope this helps.

the z 1000 reticle is designed and set up for 175 gr bullets in the 2500-2600 fps 308 class. the z reticle can be set for other calibers but yardage marks will not come outeven ex. 100 yd 200 yds ect. I use a diavari 6x24 on a TRG and works great in the long range steel (A zone IPSC) shooting Ido. Your use may require some other type of optic. zeiss recommends the scope to be sighted in at 500 yds which "activates" the reticle. after finding my drops from JBM 3.1 mil for my loads I can either dial in the drop (turrets are in .5 cm) or dial up to 6.2 and use the hold over reticle. the optimum power setting on any brand of scope out there prvided by the ballistic program on the web by the maker is pretty much bs. as there is no way to determine if you are at that power every time. also due to the mechanics on sfp scopes repeatability of poi using power changes is a random variable.. However the zeiss I'm using seems to be working well on the 8by11" targets and around 12 or half power is shifts the reticle one full unit up. keeping in line with the raising of poi found in sfp with decrease in power. the down side is when using the reticle at 1000 yds the cheek weld must be broken as the hash mark is way at the bottom of the range and the head must be lifted to align it. (on the plus side - it is remarkable how sharp the zeiss glass is at the edges.

Thanks for the replies, this makes a lot more sense. I'm shooting a 7mm wildcat round that is most comparable to a 7mm saum round, and based off the reading off of zeiss's site, it looks like the 600 reticle is the way to go but I'm really not sure... Any thoughts?

I'm a little hesitant to rely on the ballistics calculator, I figure you guys would know best.

I inquired Zeiss about the reticle subtensions and here is what I got for the Rapid Z 1000 and varmiter reticles. The scope I asked about was the 6.5-20 and subtensions are at 20X. Hope this helps some.

RapidZ1000.jpg

RapidZVarmiter.jpg