Zeiss S3 or S5

Tigrexar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2018
Texas
Hi there, I got a Zeiss discount cert and is debating between S3 6-36 and S5 5-25 for prs centerfire rifle. Does anyone have experience with both of them?

Simple question would be: is S5 $700 better than the S3? I have tried my friend's S3 at the range and find the eyebox bit tight comparing to razor gen3 and leupold Mk5, while the clarity is decent.

If the S5 got better eyebox and better glass quality, I personally would think probably it worth the extra cost.

Can't say from first hand experience, but the smaller magnification range (5x vs 6x) of the S5, along with the top end being limited to 25x, should make for a more forgiving and comfortable scope. Strictly speaking in generalities. I haven't shot many matches, but I stayed under 20x on my 5-30x.

The fanboys here will repeatedly deny the S3’s having a tight eyebox so I wouldn’t count on getting solid feedback. I found the eyebox on my S3 4-25 obnoxiously tight especially above 18x or so. I sold it and wouldn’t buy one again.

You could also just sell the cert and put it towards something else.

Can't say from first hand experience, but the smaller magnification range (5x vs 6x) of the S5, along with the top end being limited to 25x, should make for a more forgiving and comfortable scope. Strictly speaking in generalities. I haven't shot many matches, but I stayed under 20x on my 5-30x.
Yeah totally make sense, especially prs barely go beyond 20x, also I heard that S5 use Schott glass while S3 uses Japanese glass, not sure if there's actual improvements here.

Hi there, I got a Zeiss discount cert and is debating between S3 6-36 and S5 5-25 for prs centerfire rifle. Does anyone have experience with both of them?

Simple question would be: is S5 $700 better than the S3? I have tried my friend's S3 at the range and find the eyebox bit tight comparing to razor gen3 and leupold Mk5, while the clarity is decent.

If the S5 got better eyebox and better glass quality, I personally would think probably it worth the extra cost.
Yes. If you can afford the S5, go S5. My S3 6-36 is an awesome scope, but having looked through numerous S5’s side-by-side with the S3, you can see a notable difference in sharpness of the image.

Just as an FYI. Make sure you read the fine print on the bottom of that cert. You don't get the same % off of the s5 line as you do the s3

Also have an S3 (4-25) and an S5 (5-25) while I really like the S3 and don’t have any complaints about it, I like the S5 noticeably more. Don’t have any issues with S5 eyebox, it’s very clear and on a personal note I like the click of the turrets more too. Only thing I would change on the S5 is the height of the turret, but that’s not a functional issue.

Reactions: frankxtc
Check out the attached. I went with the S5, I liked it better. I can't speak on the S3 but I look at little differences between products that probably don't matter but it's how I decide things. Supposedly- The S5 is manufactured in the same facility that used to make the Hensoldt scopes (I own a Henny 4-16 and love it) and I wanted true German glass and manufaturing. But look at the numbers for; exit pupil, field of view, etc. I have both the 5-25 and the 3-18 S5. No regrets.

Attachments

• technical_data_zeiss_lrp_s5_and_lrp_s3.pdf
    126.8 KB · Views: 10
Same info screen shot

Attachments

• Zeiss S5 vs S3.png
    Zeiss S5 vs S3.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Baron23