Rifle Scopes Zeiss scopes

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
looking to buy a new scope for my rifle. i currently have a leupold 4.5 x14 x40 but i would like more magnification and going up 62 clicks for a 700 yard shot it a hell of a pain without target turrets. I was looking at a zeiss 6,5 x 20 x 50. I have not seen many people using them for long range/ tactical shooting why is that? do they track well?

Re: Zeiss scopes

All but one (the 3-12x56)of the Conquest scope line have 1" tubes & don't have a lot of erector (elevation) travel. I had to use Burris Zee rings with the offset inserts to get a 100 yard zero on my 223AI due to the Badger 20 moa rail. Aside from the lack of travel, they are nice quality scopes.

BTW, this is the little 3-9x40 Conquest I have.

Elevation travel as shown on Zeiss webpage for various Conquests. 4.5-14x50 has decent travel and has the uncovered turrets.

3-9x40 = 64.1"
3.5-10x44 = 69"
4.5-14x50 = 68"
6.5-20x50 = 45"
3-12x56 = 34"

For comparison
Viper PST 4-16x50 = 75MOA
Viper PST 6-24x50 = 65MOA

anyone happen to own both a vortex viper pst and a zeiss conquest? I have a Zeiss conquest and the optical clarity is very good. Just wondering if the viper pst is optically as good as the zeiss. If so, I'd order a PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone happen to own both a vortex viper pst and a zeiss conquest? I have a Zeiss conquest and the optical clarity is very good. Just wondering if the viper pst is optically as good as the zeiss. If so, I'd order a PST. </div></div>

Not nearly as good as the conquest. More like a vari-x 2/3.

I love my Zeiss. It is mounted on a M700 .22-250 for Varmint hunting. It is the 6.5-20x50 with Varmint Reticle. It doesn't have the best elevation though, and thats why most guys go with other scopes for tactical/long range.

4-14x50 Conquest is noticeably better than the 4-16PST at distance and power.
The PST has a lot of great features that the Zeiss products do not have.
Dont buy the PST for the glass. Buy it for the features and overall value.

This particular Conquest I was comparing with the PST was hand-picked from a sample of 4 identical scopes. It is a very good one and is the "cheapest" scope I use on a bolt gun. I have been fortunate to be able to own and use alpha glass for a long time. I am picky about scopes.

It is my opinion and experience that a sample of 1 particular scope model is hardly a basis for judgement. I have seen variations in optical quality in same model scopes from Leupold on up to the venerable Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 (had 4 of those).

And to add: I also compared a friend's new 3-15 Weaver Tac to the 4-16 PST, 4-14x50 Conquest, IOR 3-18x50 and Hensholdt 4-16x56.
The Weaver surprised me optically for the price point, but was only a sample of 1.