Tripod setup for tactical events and particularly long range hunting

bbowles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2013
Missouri
Was following thread on scout forum version about and am interested in a more solid and lighter easier to carry setup. Willing to spend the money if worth it. I currently run a Manfrotto 055 non carbon legs and 054 magnesium ball setup with hog saddle. Can I get advice for a lighter more stable setup and quick to setup and put away? Thanks

Reactions: Diboe77
I run the carbon leg version, with similar other items. Not sure how much lighter, its decent to carry and deploy. I mostly use mine for hunting, but have used it in a few PRC classes, and square range practice. I use the manfrotto quick connects. I like being able to switch between spotter and hog saddle.

I have 6.5 CM in both a manners and a KRG whiskey 3. In reading the thread on old scout forum I got a little lost. Interested in the rrs setup but would like to know the optimal setup with it and weight difference between Manfrotto setup discussed in my first post and the rrs. Thanks

Feisol 3372 and an RRS TA-U-LC. Also I'd highly suggest a direct mount to the rifle rather than a saddle. I use my saddle to hold binos or a LRF. The direct mount will be much quicker to get in and out of the tripod, it will also be much more stable.

Feisol 3372 and an RRS TA-U-LC. Also I'd highly suggest a direct mount to the rifle rather than a saddle. I use my saddle to hold binos or a LRF. The direct mount will be much quicker to get in and out of the tripod, it will also be much more stable.

I also agree with this, the direct mount is super fast, and I'm partial to the Feisol 3372 myself

I use the Feisol 3342 & 3372 - both will work depending on how stable you want your setup to be. The 3342 is fine for everything except no rear support with standing and a heavy rifle. The 3372 is more stable in that position. I think the Feisol tripods are much better than the manfrottos aluminum, and 95% of what you would get with the Really Right Stuff. The main difference is that the Feisol is made in Taiwan, while the RRS is made in the US. You are certainly welcome to spend more than twice as much for the RRS - but I personally don't see the value in doing that when the Feisol tripods do so well. They are lighter than the CF manfrotto, carry more weight and are more compact (3342). I think some of the head options from RRS are a good idea. The Feisol head is a very good value, holds up very well, but is a bit slower in use than some of the heads RRS makes that use a lever for things instead of knobs.

CT-3372
https://www.bisontactical.com/products/feisol-elite-tripod-ct-3372
CT-3342
https://www.bisontactical.com/products/feisol-carbon-fiber-shooting-tripod

Short comparison on the Manfrotto vs the Feisol tripods:
https://www.bisontactical.com/blogs...t-3342-compared-with-the-manfrotto-055-carbon

Finally - I have been using the Accu-Shot (B&T) BT53 (IIRC) that is a Q/R lever pic rail grabber. That thing is SOOOOO much faster than the hog saddle, if you have two rail locations (one near the muzzle and one near the mag well) you can choose the location based on the position and based on what other support methods you have. For example if you want to make very little movement at the muzzle - you would want the tripod pivot point near the muzzle - particularly if you have rear support - say shooting sticks.

I still like the saddles for general flexibility, and for using other things like stabilizing my Leica Geovids, but for speed getting into and out of position, the lever of the BT53 is super fast.

I have a Trijicon RMR picatinny adapter amount that I attached a swiss plate to. As soon as it gets back from the coating shop I'm going to try it out on a couple AR's then test it on the bolt action. Really like the idea of running it up front and using a bag for support for sitting/kneeling.

There's been a lot of discussion about this lately. Generally, the higher the weight rating of the tripod the more solid it is, which is good for what we do...shoot off of it. The problem is, pay to play is very much part of this whole movement. The Feisol tripods are around $500 and the RRS are double that at around $1000 just for the tripod. That said...the RRS is a beautiful piece of American made craftsmanship. It's rock solid, light, and beefy looking. Definitely makes a difference over the Manfrottos.

Then you get into heads and bases. I think the leveling bases are a better way to go. 15 degrees is enough angle for most shooting situations you're going to encounter. You can always QD a ballhead if you plan to take a high angle course or something. The lower you keep the rifle to the center where the legs meet, the better your stability seems to be. The taller the mounts and heads get the farther you move away from the stable base. Then there's the debate over saddles vs QD plates and ballheads versus leveling bases. Direct mount seems a fraction more stable than a saddle to me, but at the expense of recoil mitigation. So you have to decide where you want to spend your extra focus. On managing recoil or dealing with a little extra movement before breaking the shot.

What is the weight difference in the rrs vs feisol vs Manfrotto alum setup? For long range hunting which setup best as far as leveling base or direct mount? I am not understanding how this works. I really hoping to be told best setup for long range hunting for carrying and setting up quickly for both a manners team and a KRG whiskey 3. Not sure how to mount to rifle. Thanks for the education.

Guess I am saying I don't ​​know what I need to use with my rifles. Leaning toward feisol 3372 but not sure difference of ta 3 vs ta u LC. And I don't know what it takes to do hard mount.

Last edited:
Ditching a saddle/clamp + ballhead in lieu of a leveling base saves weight. Leveling base = direct mount. You need a small lightweight dovetail plate attached to your rifle, the plate is called an "Arca Swiss" style plate. There are generic plates out there for cheap, plus you can get dedicated Really Right Stuff plates for certain rifles. Here is what the RRS plate for the Manners competition barricade mini-chassis looks like, mounted on a RRS TA-3 leveling head.

You can attach the plate to your stock with screws into the frame (KRG) or by drilling and T-nuts, or ideally with a RRS solution if one is available for your stock.

A RRS tripod plus TA-3 is going to be right around 5.5lb.

_MG_6388_zpstcwut1ed.jpg

Reactions: Event6551 and MSTN
Sheldon, I assume the manners plate will not work on a t4a that is couple years old? Solution for this?

KRG ​​​​makes a plate (pricey) that looks like will mount directly to stock and then quick detach to ta 3?

What is difference between ​​​RRS ta 3 and ta u lc?

Sheldon, I assume the manners plate will not work on a t4a that is couple years old? Solution for this?

KRG ​​​​makes a plate (pricey) that looks like will mount directly to stock and then quick detach to ta 3?

What is difference between ​​​RRS ta 3 and ta u lc?

It won't work, the solution is have Manners add an aluminum plate and helicoils so you can bolt a plate on. I'm inquiring about this myself right now.

The TA3 has the tension controls below the center plate, the TAU has it above.

Reactions: Vicorjr_26
The Really Right Stuff is definitely the way to go from a tripod standpoint, but lucky for everyone you can use their mounting system and even get some similar benefits from less expensive stuff.

The Feisol Tripods are RRS knock offs, one of the downside I found to that system is the ball head. We were using both the RRS and Feisol this past weekend and in doing so I identified a point of weakness in the Feisol ball head that caused a lot of flex in the system. The ball and stem in their system is too weak for rifles. So mixing and matching is a better way to go.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/16708589_10155002500477953_1050272576378125972_n.jpg?oh=1bdb1553348810c8988045b88e8d4230&oe=5900BB57"}[/IMG2]

You can see how small the ball head is, one way around it is the leveling base like posted above, or here below:

SH_HD_AIAXRRS-1.jpg

This direction connection and very low leveling base will take a metric ton of wobble out of the system as compared to the photo ball heads. A great compromise is to get the cheaper legs but then get the RRS ball head too. It's much more robust when it comes to handling a rifle.

SH_HD_RRS44-1.jpg

Another shortcut to take, if you are using something else is to mount the Hog Saddle directly to the tripod without a inferior ball head. If you don't have a very heavy duty ball head, go direct with the Hog Saddle, the lower it is mounted the better.

Now with all these direct connection options having the Swiss Arca / RRS Style mounting plates, we have a much lighter and faster option to work with. For legacy stocks the Hog / Pig Saddles or the RRS Vyce are the best options out there, but for rifles with mounting points the RRS Plates blow away the Manfrotto RC-2 plates.

Weight is the key and not just the weight of the rifle you have to consider the shooter loading into the tripod too. Most of the tripods people use are rated for 15LBS or less. The RRS Tripods are rated for 50LBS, this matters. The Feisol legs have a great weight rating too, and the funny this is, you can get Manfrotto tripods to match, but then they cost as much as the RRS. By default everyone opted for cheaper camera tripods and because it worked to some degree, it just continued that way. Until the Camera people came around to educate us, we need more weight rating on our tripods to shoot effectively off of. It matters and it works, go for more in the legs and then mix and match the heads or mounting systems to fit your budget and needs.

We see a difference, you let people use the 15LBS rated Manfrotto and then we let them try the RRS and its immediately noticeable . Their accuracy increases as do the effective range.

KRG makes a plate (pricey) that looks like will mount directly to stock and then quick detach to ta 3?

What is difference between RRS ta 3 and ta u lc?

If you're brave, simply take out the barreled action from your stock, drill from above for the top half of a 1/4-20 T-nut and punch through the bottom half with a smaller drill bit until it sits flush. All you need is two 1/4-20 screw holes in the stock in front of the mag well and you can attach any flat Arca Swiss style plate (2 screws so it doesn't twist under load). Not hard to do if you're handy, or Manners would probably put in the T-nuts (or a plate with screw holes) if you wanted them to do it.

With a KRG stock all you need is to screw on an arca plate. I think there are already screw holes in the bottom of the chassis that you can use. No need for a special plate, any Arca style plate with 2 screws should work. Worst case, drill and tap a couple 1/4-20 holes.

RRS TA-3 leveling base is the low profile model pictured in my photo and Frank's photo with the AI rifle. It will only work in the RRS 3 series tripods (or Gitzo 3 series). The RRS TA-U-LC is the universal leveling base that will work with the Feisol tripods. Two advantages of the TA-3 are that it sits lower with a lower center of gravity, so it's more stable even on the same quality tripod. Other advantage is that the handle underneath is a bit easier to adjust and more intuitive to loosen/point rifle/tighten. Both are very good, and both have an advantage over a ballhead (even RRS's very good BH-55) since they sit lower with a lower center of gravity that has less leverage on the pivot point.

Can't stress enough how awesome a RRS tripod plus TA-3 with hard plate mount is. Very stable, it's like cheating to shoot off of it.

If I can jump in on this.. I have a Feisol 3342 and RRS Universal Leveling Base and it looks like a great combo so far with my lighter weight rifles. I have a custom rifle at the gunsmith right now, and it should be ready in a week or two. The stock for the build is a Manners T2A, and I'm considering calling up my smith and asking if he could put a plate on there for me. Would a standard Arca Swiss style plate around 75mm long be a good choice to have him install? If having a smith do it, what would be the best, and cleanest looking way to have this done.. also I won't be running a tripod all the time so I'll probably take the Arca plate off in certain situations so I'd like it to look clean when not installed too.

If I can jump in on this.. I have a Feisol 3342 and RRS Universal Leveling Base and it looks like a great combo so far with my lighter weight rifles. I have a custom rifle at the gunsmith right now, and it should be ready in a week or two. The stock for the build is a Manners T2A, and I'm considering calling up my smith and asking if he could put a plate on there for me. Would a standard Arca Swiss style plate around 75mm long be a good choice to have him install? If having a smith do it, what would be the best, and cleanest looking way to have this done.. also I won't be running a tripod all the time so I'll probably take the Arca plate off in certain situations so I'd like it to look clean when not installed too.

Yeah, I was handling the same setup at a competition earlier this month and it looked really nice. Very lightweight too.

For mounting a plate to a Manners T2A, you just need two screw holes in front of the magwell that are 1/4-20 threads. This can be done the same way you install a bipod stud in a stock. Drill the hole in the exact location you need that fits your plate from the bottom of the stock. Then drill a second larger hole from the inner portion of the stock down to the depth that allows you to fit a T-Nut into the stock, and epoxy it in place. You can screw on your plate when you need it, and when it's not there all you would see would be two small threaded holes in the stock. I'd look at the RRS MPR-73 as the kind of rail that would be a good size with two mounting screws.

Here's a copy/paste from scout on how I installed an Arca Swiss plate, After this experiment on my .22LR, have since installed these on a few centerfires. Works GREAT!
A30BD65B-6553-4921-8424-E5F712D37527_zpsg5huqcn1.jpg

Anyway, here's parts list & how to:

Parts:

1. Arca Swiss plate. Found HERE on Amazon Need one, per stock.

2. Long shaft 1/4-20 tripod head screws. Found HERE on Amazon Need one 2 pk. per stock.

3. Long shaft 1/4-20 T-nuts. Found HERE on Amazon Need two per stock (comes in a 50 pk.)

OK, here's what the parts look like, assembled, but before install:

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"photo C82C4B6A-D16E-4B1B-8DC7-7F55130BCFB8_zpsyyzcseaa.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/C82C4B6A-D16E-4B1B-8DC7-7F55130BCFB8_zpsyyzcseaa.jpg"}[/IMG2]

To recess T-nuts into stock, you need a 3/4" counterbore bit. Guys who've installed Atlas rails for their bipods are familiar with this bit.

After marking & drilling pilot holes from below, here's a pic of the counterbored holes, with T nuts installed:
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"photo A67EDFB3-CC16-4616-B768-EB6063330591_zpsotqkkayh.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/A67EDFB3-CC16-4616-B768-EB6063330591_zpsotqkkayh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

You'll want to go easy with the bit, because you're shooting for the bottom of the threaded shaft to be just level with the bottom of the stock.

Here's a pic of the rear T-nut set to good depth, and the top T- nut in need of a tad more relief:

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"photo ED595945-47FE-4C22-833E-8BE64CF6D7E6_zpsn5gkqvhm.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/ED595945-47FE-4C22-833E-8BE64CF6D7E6_zpsn5gkqvhm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And, plate installed! Those screws can be tightened easily by hand, and snugged with a coin. Plenty of thread to hold the plate tight to the stock:

Best part is, you can remove this Arca Swiss plate in a matter of seconds! So, you don't have to have that thing hangin' under your stock, if ya don't need it...
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"photo 49C592C0-494B-4520-B40B-8CFEE5BE455C_zpsvzrkyevy.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/49C592C0-494B-4520-B40B-8CFEE5BE455C_zpsvzrkyevy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

OK, that was easy!

Now, onto the tripod /ballhead. I'm runnin' a Feisol carbon tripod, with the lower leg sections removed. Did that to save a bit of weight, but also for ease of use. The remaining legs are plenty tall to shoot from a high seated position (think dove stool height)

Ballhead is a Sirui K-10x, but here's the kicker. I swapped out the factory base clamp & installed a SWEET RRS QD throw lever. FOUND HERE. This part REALLY makes the whole setup jive!

Pic of retro fitted head, w/ RRS QD clamp:
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"photo FD86673F-BA05-4BB9-987F-5DFE88138514_zpsu8a9wnpb.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/FD86673F-BA05-4BB9-987F-5DFE88138514_zpsu8a9wnpb.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And, viola...a QD interface for any wood / fiberglass stock. All done for a couple bucks, and a bit of time:
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"photo 58B4731A-6C1F-4674-A7EC-9D615BFE6B0E_zpsstw0idtj.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/58B4731A-6C1F-4674-A7EC-9D615BFE6B0E_zpsstw0idtj.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Have only shot this a few times, but can already tell that this setup is ROCK solid! Based on this, I'm going to be retro-fitting my varmint rifles with QD plates and using this for both coyote calling, and woodchuck shooting. I'd imagine, it might be equally as useful for a PRS shooter?

That part is up to you. Like I said, just sharing what I came up with & hope it might offer something for the shooters here. That RRS QD clamp is badazz. I can lock the rifle into the tripod, or remove it, in a matter of seconds...

Good shooting!

Last edited:
Reactions: SlagAxe
And here's a method member ksracer came up with. He machined the hardware himself, very nice!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1051.photobucket.com\/albums\/s421\/derrickd2012\/IMG_20170209_203912429.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1051.photobucket.com\/albums\/s421\/derrickd2012\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_20170208_233343241.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I PM'ed him about about parts, and he allowed that he was going to make a two screw version of that plate. He also mentioned that he'd be willing to sell this setup, if anyone is interested?

I logged on over @ scout & sent ksracer a PM with a link to this thread, so hope he makes it back to the old Hide...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheldon N
I'm here. Thanks for the kind words, knockemdown. I've had a couple suggestions for different styles of plates. I should have time to make some parts this week, and I found a local company to Anodize them for me.

Excellent!
I'd like to try your two screw fixture/plate on a GameScout I just bedded. I think the tapered angle of your plate will better fit the rounded forend.
When they are back from anodize, please update this thread and/or PM me. Thanks!

Mounting a Anshutz rail to the bottom of your Manners would look like it came that way from the factory. You could mount bipods, tripod mounts, and barricade stops in different areas instead of being stuck with the mount point until you get a new stock. Just make sure the anshutz standard is the same between the companies your buying products with.

As far as the KRG guys go, there should be a solution for you guys soon as well!

Michael

Last edited:
Mounting a Anshutz rail to the bottom of your Manners would look like it came that way from the factory. You could mount bipods, tripod mounts, and barricade stops in different areas instead of being stuck with the mount point until you get a new stock. Just make sure the anshutz standard is the same between the companies your buying products with.

As far as the KRG guys go, there should be a solution for you guys soon as well!

Michael

I think this is a great way to go. Anschutz rails are very versatile, I'm a bit baffled why you don't see more people using them.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll drop an e-mail to Travis at RBros today and see if he can install the plate for me while it's there. I'm just not handy enough of a guy do do that here at the house.

Was following thread on scout forum version about and am interested in a more solid and lighter easier to carry setup. Willing to spend the money if worth it. I currently run a Manfrotto 055 non carbon legs and 054 magnesium ball setup with hog saddle. Can I get advice for a lighter more stable setup and quick to setup and put away? Thanks

The RRS TVC-33 + Leveling base weigh about as much as just your current tripod by itself and the weight rating and stability are vastly better. An ARCA plate can be QDd to the leveling base. It's not cheap but it's definitely more stable.

The Really Right Stuff is definitely the way to go from a tripod standpoint, but lucky for everyone you can use their mounting system and even get some similar benefits from less expensive stuff.

The Feisol Tripods are RRS knock offs, one of the downside I found to that system is the ball head. We were using both the RRS and Feisol this past weekend and in doing so I identified a point of weakness in the Feisol ball head that caused a lot of flex in the system. The ball and stem in their system is too weak for rifles. So mixing and matching is a better way to go.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/16708589_10155002500477953_1050272576378125972_n.jpg?oh=1bdb1553348810c8988045b88e8d4230&oe=5900BB57"}[/IMG2]

You can see how small the ball head is, one way around it is the leveling base like posted above, or here below:

This direction connection and very low leveling base will take a metric ton of wobble out of the system as compared to the photo ball heads. A great compromise is to get the cheaper legs but then get the RRS ball head too. It's much more robust when it comes to handling a rifle.

Another shortcut to take, if you are using something else is to mount the Hog Saddle directly to the tripod without a inferior ball head. If you don't have a very heavy duty ball head, go direct with the Hog Saddle, the lower it is mounted the better.

Now with all these direct connection options having the Swiss Arca / RRS Style mounting plates, we have a much lighter and faster option to work with. For legacy stocks the Hog / Pig Saddles or the RRS Vyce are the best options out there, but for rifles with mounting points the RRS Plates blow away the Manfrotto RC-2 plates.

Weight is the key and not just the weight of the rifle you have to consider the shooter loading into the tripod too. Most of the tripods people use are rated for 15LBS or less. The RRS Tripods are rated for 50LBS, this matters. The Feisol legs have a great weight rating too, and the funny this is, you can get Manfrotto tripods to match, but then they cost as much as the RRS. By default everyone opted for cheaper camera tripods and because it worked to some degree, it just continued that way. Until the Camera people came around to educate us, we need more weight rating on our tripods to shoot effectively off of. It matters and it works, go for more in the legs and then mix and match the heads or mounting systems to fit your budget and needs.

We see a difference, you let people use the 15LBS rated Manfrotto and then we let them try the RRS and its immediately noticeable . Their accuracy increases as do the effective range.

Lowlight, have you used the PRST tripod? I just saw one the other day and it looked pretty slick. Weight rating of 40# and a sticker of $385 I think. Looks to be imported from Norway and the guys at ShadowTech are selling them on their site. In the market for a tripod but don't have the budget for RRS legs. Have been considering the Feisol but I like the flick locks on this PRST tripod. Thoughts on it?

Thanks

I know you were asking LL, but I just recently made the choice between the PRST and the Feisol 3342. For me, it really came down to the flick locks and the cerakoting vs the higher weight rating, and lighter weight than the PRST. When I compared 3 leg vs 4 leg tripods, the decision was easy. Fewer legs made a HUGE difference for me as far as stability goes. The PRST looks like a great tripod, but the 3342 is significantly lighter (by 1.5lbs) with 15lbs more load rating - and has only 3 leg sections. It's also taller by a bit. The leg locks on the Feisol are also very easy to use, so that trade-off ended up being negligible. Just my two cents.

I know you were asking LL, but I just recently made the choice between the PRST and the Feisol 3342. For me, it really came down to the flick locks and the cerakoting vs the higher weight rating, and lighter weight than the PRST. When I compared 3 leg vs 4 leg tripods, the decision was easy. Fewer legs made a HUGE difference for me as far as stability goes. The PRST looks like a great tripod, but the 3342 is significantly lighter (by 1.5lbs) with 15lbs more load rating - and has only 3 leg sections. It's also taller by a bit. The leg locks on the Feisol are also very easy to use, so that trade-off ended up being negligible. Just my two cents.

That is ok, just looking for input from folks that have used tripods and had their hands on lots of them. I appreciate your input!

Lowlight,,,, thoughts

Hey devldog, was that your tripod I was looking at at UNSC last month? It was pretty darn sweet. Super light.

No, wasn't mine.. I haven't had it out at UNSC yet. I'll be out there as soon as I pick my build up from RBros in a week or two. I just joined UNSC and got my badge 2 weeks ago, so I haven't been out there much.

image_47927.jpg
I've not looked closely, but has anyone done the plate install on an XLR element chassis?

Easy peasy for the XLR element. Used one of the existing threaded holes and drilled and tapped a second. The upper screw uses existing hole and I drilled and tapped for the lower screw. The aluminum is very easy to drill and tap.

I would never suggest a Feisol head to anyone. Having used them, I think they are shit. RRS heads are where its at. I much prefer the leveling head to a ball head, but the BH-55 is pretty solid as far as ball head go.

Its been a long while since I've been on this site or done much with my bolt gun due to my wifes health issues. I am pleasantly surprised to see this post concerning tripods as I own Manfrotto legs with a BH-40 ball head and a RRS-34L tripod with a BH-55 head on it from my photography days. Its is good to know that these are now dual purpose items as I wasn't doing much with my photography lately and the RRS setup was pretty pricey to just be collecting dust.

Update on my purchase.... I decided to go with the rrs tvc-34 legs, ta-3 LC leveling base for my manners and KRG rifles. All I can say is wow! Very nice unit. Thanks to shanerbanner, Sheldon, lawnmm, and Michael at rrs I know I made the right decision for me at least. Michael suggested for my use to get the 34 instead of 33 because I will also use it for long range hunting and the 34 packs down about 5 inches shorter and he assured me I wouldn't give up anything noticeable on stability with the extra leg section. He was right. This thing is practically like shooting off a bench.

Also, ​​​I got the rrs mpr-73 plate which bolts right ahead of mag on KRG stock with the M5 screws provided with KRG stock. You have to remove the rrs screws since they are 1/4 not M5. Works awesome. Just bolt on and go.

I bought the ​​​​​​rrs VR76 plate which bolts right to bottom of hog saddle to use for the manners rifle. You again have to remove one of the installed screws and put smaller one for other hole in the hog.

Very ​​nice setup. Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Reactions: Shanerbanner10
Update on my purchase.... I decided to go with the rrs tvc-34 legs, ta-3 LC leveling base for my manners and KRG rifles. All I can say is wow! Very nice unit. Thanks to shanerbanner, Sheldon, lawnmm, and Michael at rrs I know I made the right decision for me at least. Michael suggested for my use to get the 34 instead of 33 because I will also use it for long range hunting and the 34 packs down about 5 inches shorter and he assured me I wouldn't give up anything noticeable on stability with the extra leg section. He was right. This thing is practically like shooting off a bench.

Also, ​​​I got the rrs mpr-73 plate which bolts right ahead of mag on KRG stock with the M5 screws provided with KRG stock. You have to remove the rrs screws since they are 1/4 not M5. Works awesome. Just bolt on and go.

I bought the ​​​​​​rrs VR76 plate which bolts right to bottom of hog saddle to use for the manners rifle. You again have to remove one of the installed screws and put smaller one for other hole in the hog.

Very ​​nice setup. Thanks again for all the advice guys.

You'll be very happy with that purchase. Congrats and enjoy it! If you get a chance, toss your rifle in a Manfrotto or similar tripod with a saddle and shoot a 3-5 round group at 100 standing no other support and then put your rifle in your new setup. You will be utterly amazed at the difference in stability.
I have a pig saddle which I keep my binos in at matches and use to find targets/get wind calls. If I need the tripod its a simple flick of the qd lever and you can swap them out. Gotta love the options we have these days.

I'm not sure how much yours weights, but I can tell you that the Feisol 3372 with a RRS TA-U-LC weights 4.5 lbs. Its silly light and silly stable with a hard mount directly to your rifle. Saddles kinda suck for actually shooting out of. The rubber allows your rifle to move more than one would think. I'd suggest moving away from ballhead and anything with a center column. I know 15 degrees doesn't sound like much but its plenty for most things we do with a rifle when it comes to a leveling head.
Lots of guys are also using the 3342 which is a touch smaller version of the 3372 (which is a direct competitor with the RRS legs). I haven't heard of any issues with the 42 series but I prefer the beefier and stronger 72 series when it comes to Feisol.

All that said, if you are wiling to spend the money, I'd highly suggest going with the RRS set up the OP went with at the bottom of page 3 of this thread. Its just stupid good.

Awesome! Congrats on the purchase, couldn't have chosen a better kit.

Anyone else thinking about pulling the trigger on RRS, give Michael at RRS SOAR a call. He's good people and will steer you right.

Agree Sheldon. Thanks for all your help.
Shanerbanner, I will try that with both setups. I can see already that the rrs is way better especially with leveling base and no ballhead. Got it setup inside house looking out at objects and appears to be incredibly stable. Anxious to get outside with it. Thanks!

My setup ​​​​​is 5.5 lbs. So not quite as light as feisol but still great.

I've been sitting on the fence while reading and doing my homework about tripods and heads. Thanks bbowles for starting up this thread again, I also called Micheal this week he was extremely helpful and knew exactly which setup would match my needs. I ended up with the tvc-33 & ta-3 plus a handful of plates. They came in Friday and wow is right, I tried in the past to use my hog saddle with and old manfroto 190 from my old days of photography. Needless to say it didn't work very well.

I'm with bbowles, thanks to all of you that contributed to this thread, your input got me off the fence and I couldn't be happier!