Tripod setup for tactical events and particularly long range hunting

Out in the field with the $370 budget option. No complaints here!
photo51198.jpg
photo51199.jpg
photo51200.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! Happy to see that Desmond is treating you well. Looks like a great setup.

Snapped a closeup pic of the work Travis did for me. I'm very happy I had him do the install for the RRS QD plate. I'm positive my handywork would have looked botched. Mounting the plate under the stock is so much more steady and secure than the HOG Saddle when possible. The HOG will still be great for some things that you just can't mount a plate to though.

I used knockmdown's supply list from this link on the Scout Hide: http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...57929-po-mans-arca-swiss-stock-tripod-adaptor

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i133.photobucket.com\/albums\/q78\/devldogs55\/Mobile%20Uploads\/A58DF199-BF74-4D67-A4D4-A9414F2CB883_zpsuaxybwpr.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
I know I may get flamed for this, but I haven't bought a specific tripod yet. I've been using my caldwell field pod magnum and it has been holding up and serving its purpose. It's a real budget option if that's your main concern...

Here's a video clip of a tripod stage from yesterday's tactical match. Feisol 3372, RRS TA-U-LC and rifle mount plate. Pretty rock solid for the shooter. Rifle targets were 600-400yd engagements...

Last edited:
Yeah, we had shooter's that didn't have tripods, so I provided mine and allowed it to be prepostioned. No sense in discouraging new shooters that don't have (or can't afford) all the gear; especially since this was a local match and geared more for getting people into the sport and challenging them with new engagement scenarios, versus seeing who could just win the match.

Looks great, devildog!
And thanks for the vid, MarinePMI!
Michael @ RRS got me hooked into a universal leveling base for use with my Manfrotto 055 carbon tripod. That thing is super slick...

This setup is described with one word : AWESOME

I cannot believe how solid the platform is and how well finished RRS equipment is. You will not be disappointed in the long run.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20170331\/7e7edba1f0399f555e9053cdf8f85cd7.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Can't tell you exactly, but my recollection having handled both the big 3372 Feisol and the RRS TVC-33 is that the leg diameter on the Feisol is a bit larger, but the tripod is a bit lighter. Couldn't tell you what the tube wall thickness is if that's what you're asking. Suspect they use thinner material given the lighter weight, though some of that is also likely in the crown. RRS has a much more substantial top crown assembly.

Can't tell you exactly, but my recollection having handled both the big 3372 Feisol and the RRS TVC-33 is that the leg diameter on the Feisol is a bit larger, but the tripod is a bit lighter. Couldn't tell you what the tube wall thickness is if that's what you're asking. Suspect they use thinner material given the lighter weight, though some of that is also likely in the crown. RRS has a much more substantial top crown assembly.

Thank you for that information. I was just trying to find out which one of these two tripod overall had thicker legs.

Between mrtoyz and I we tried a bunch of tripods and heads. He landed on a RRS 4 section and I the Feisol 3472. He spoke with RRS and I with Feisol prior to purchasing and both said similar in regards to 3 vs 4 section. Both said the 3 will be THE MOST stable but also with the bigger tripods the difference is nominal like a slight nod to the 3 over the 4.

Why do I bother posting this at all? Because if you can find a good deal on a 4 section you should not be turned off that its not a 3 section. mrtoyz got his off ebay with the BA 55 head for a stupid low buy it now price and I picked up mine from B&H in their used equipment section along with a new RRS leveling base.

So if you find a deal on either of these brands in 4 section I would say buy with confidence.

Last edited:
It blows, stay away.

Heard that a few times now. AnchorZero6 actually contacted Feisol and they said that leveling base should be smooth and offer consistent friction similar to other leveling bases and that if it did not to contact them. Also mentioned that grease may help as I recall.

Like Anchor said I went RRS TVC34 and BH55 ball head. Am anxious to try an RRS TA3 leveling base. I'll put a QD plate on the bottom of the BH55 and have he ability to quickly add and remove the ball head from the top of the leveling base. Leveling base only adds about 1/2" height which is nice. Been told that the BH55 is better than leveling base for panning (following movers) additionally it allows for more than 15 degrees of elevation and declination if needed.

Once you try the TA-3 leveling base you'll realize there's no need for the BH-55. The TA-3 is amazing. Even with a bit of tension on it it allows for fluid movement up/down/left/right and 15 degrees is way more than you'll need. I've got mine with a RRS plate on my Manners mini-chassis and it's as stable as prone.

Heard that a few times now. AnchorZero6 actually contacted Feisol and they said that leveling base should be smooth and offer consistent friction similar to other leveling bases and that if it did not to contact them. Also mentioned that grease may help as I recall.

Like Anchor said I went RRS TVC34 and BH55 ball head. Am anxious to try an RRS TA3 leveling base. I'll put a QD plate on the bottom of the BH55 and have he ability to quickly add and remove the ball head from the top of the leveling base. Leveling base only adds about 1/2" height which is nice. Been told that the BH55 is better than leveling base for panning (following movers) additionally it allows for more than 15 degrees of elevation and declination if needed.

This is the same route I was thinking about going but with a cb-50dc ball head. I have been going back and forth about the pros and cons of the leveling base vs ball head. I would like to have the versatility of the ball specifically for high angle and extremely sloped shots in a match setting where adjusting the leg heighth would take to much time. Now the more feedback I am reading and Sheldons post I may just go with the TA-3 and see how it goes. Does the TA-3 pan? The weight restriction seems kinda low though RRS's site says 25lbs. Has anyone had any issues with breakage/slippage while your full body weight is loaded? Also, is there a reason I wouldn't want to run the TA-2-LC? I saw the post on the uni mount but I feel like the quick lock at the base of the plate would be nice to have.

Last edited:
TA3 does pan. Don't have first hand knowledge however. Michael from RRS told me the ball head was better for movers and made the suggestion about TA3 and ball head tandem. He also made mention of some military customers that ran both in QD.

TA2 sits up a lot higher than the TA3

Does the TA-3 pan? The weight restriction seems kinda low though RRS's site says 25lbs. Has anyone had any issues with breakage/slippage while your full body weight is loaded? Also, is there a reason I wouldn't want to run the TA-2-LC? I saw the post on the uni mount but I feel like the quick lock at the base of the plate would be nice to have.

Yes, the TA-3 does pan in the same sense that a ballhead pans when it's loose... multidirectional freedom of movement. Agree that the RRS lever clamp is the way to go, my TA-3 has the lever clamp. No concerns at all about the weight rating, should be fine for any match rifle.

What makes the TA-3 so nice is the way that it moves under partial tension. It does a really good job of allowing you to direct the scope onto target, not overshooting/sticking/stopping/starting when under partial tension, and staying stable when you do get on target. Leave the tension loose and its easy to move between targets while still having some tension to stay steady. Tighten it down and it feels the same, just higher effort to move the rifle around.I let one of my shooting buddies try it with my hard plate RRS mount for the Manners mini-chassis. He laughed out loud and said "Now that's just stupid!"

I could see how a ballhead panning base would be the way to get smoothest left/right movement, but you'd need to make sure your base was level with the mover so that as you panned left/right you didn't drift high or low from the target. I could see that being a tough thing to get right when on the clock in competition. Fortunately we're not shooting movers off tripods in any of our comps, they are mostly prone stages where the wind makes it hard enough already.

I'm here. Thanks for the kind words, knockemdown. I've had a couple suggestions for different styles of plates. I should have time to make some parts this week, and I found a local company to Anodize them for me.

Are you still making plates and parts for direct mounting to a ball head or leveling head? I'm interested in putting a plate on a McM carbon fiber stock.

Can't seem to access the messaging system through Tapatalk or I'd PM you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you still making plates and parts for direct mounting to a ball head or leveling head? I'm interested in putting a plate on a McM carbon fiber stock.

Can't seem to access the messaging system through Tapatalk or I'd PM you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still got a few left. I sent you a Pm with my cell#. See if you get it.
thanks

Yes, the TA-3 does pan in the same sense that a ballhead pans when it's loose... multidirectional freedom of movement. Agree that the RRS lever clamp is the way to go, my TA-3 has the lever clamp. No concerns at all about the weight rating, should be fine for any match rifle.

What makes the TA-3 so nice is the way that it moves under partial tension. It does a really good job of allowing you to direct the scope onto target, not overshooting/sticking/stopping/starting when under partial tension, and staying stable when you do get on target. Leave the tension loose and its easy to move between targets while still having some tension to stay steady. Tighten it down and it feels the same, just higher effort to move the rifle around.I let one of my shooting buddies try it with my hard plate RRS mount for the Manners mini-chassis. He laughed out loud and said "Now that's just stupid!"

I could see how a ballhead panning base would be the way to get smoothest left/right movement, but you'd need to make sure your base was level with the mover so that as you panned left/right you didn't drift high or low from the target. I could see that being a tough thing to get right when on the clock in competition. Fortunately we're not shooting movers off tripods in any of our comps, they are mostly prone stages where the wind makes it hard enough already.

So another season gone by, do you guys have any other long term feedback on your tripod set ups? Based on this thread; I am going with feisol 3372 legs, but still a bit up in the air on what to top it with.

So another season gone by, do you guys have any other long term feedback on your tripod set ups? Based on this thread; I am going with feisol 3372 legs, but still a bit up in the air on what to top it with.

Still running a Gitzo tripod legset with RRS TA-3 Leveling base. Love it. May eventually upgrade to a RRS someday...

I finally got to try a RRS tripod and ball head out (not sure which one) with their VICE in a match (JC Steel PRS). RRS sponsored one of the stages and you had to shoot of one of their tripods with either a vice or direct mount if you're set up for it. They were running a ballhead instead of the levelling base since the closest target was at too much of a steep angle to use a levelling base, 1st time I've ever seen that in a match, haha. It's a really slick piece of gear, just crazy stable. Michael from RRS and one of their engineers, Brandon were in my squad. Really good dudes.

I've run a few different tripods and currently use the Slik D700 with a Sirui K40X ballhead and a pig saddle. I've found it to be a very decent setup and used it to good effect in a few RTC matches. I actually really like shooting off a tripod, seated is almost as stable as prone. The RRS setup is definitely a big step up but I'm also a cheap bastard so I'll most likely be staying with my budget setup for now, although most likely getting one of their clamps and going to qd instead of a saddle.

Tag for reference. I have Manfrotto 055 aluminum, Pig Saddle and crappy ball head (but heavy duty). Will put a leveling head on my list. Photographer here so I had tripod and ball head already.

Tag for reference. I have Manfrotto 055 aluminum, Pig Saddle and crappy ball head (but heavy duty). Will put a leveling head on my list. Photographer here so I had tripod and ball head already.

Im in the same boat as this. Will simply replacing the ballhead with the RRS TA-U-LB drastically improve my sturdiness or am I going to has to rethink my entire setup?

Last edited:
@AznTactical from the extremes you get a total of 30 deg.
From level/horizontal ranges you have 15 up and 15 down, as well as side to side.

I'm really digging this TA-3 leveling base 4.5" with hook and lever release clamp. I'm assuming this clamp is not designed for picatinny use similar to the SC-LR or Anvil's dual clamping system? If so is there an option to purchase or configure a TA-3 with dovetail/picatinny compatible clamp? Thank you.

The Really Right Stuff is definitely the way to go from a tripod standpoint, but lucky for everyone you can use their mounting system and even get some similar benefits from less expensive stuff.

The Feisol Tripods are RRS knock offs, one of the downside I found to that system is the ball head. We were using both the RRS and Feisol this past weekend and in doing so I identified a point of weakness in the Feisol ball head that caused a lot of flex in the system. The ball and stem in their system is too weak for rifles. So mixing and matching is a better way to go.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/16708589_10155002500477953_1050272576378125972_n.jpg?oh=1bdb1553348810c8988045b88e8d4230&oe=5900BB57"}[/IMG2]

You can see how small the ball head is, one way around it is the leveling base like posted above, or here below:

View attachment 6259813

This direction connection and very low leveling base will take a metric ton of wobble out of the system as compared to the photo ball heads. A great compromise is to get the cheaper legs but then get the RRS ball head too. It's much more robust when it comes to handling a rifle.

View attachment 6259814

Another shortcut to take, if you are using something else is to mount the Hog Saddle directly to the tripod without a inferior ball head. If you don't have a very heavy duty ball head, go direct with the Hog Saddle, the lower it is mounted the better.

Now with all these direct connection options having the Swiss Arca / RRS Style mounting plates, we have a much lighter and faster option to work with. For legacy stocks the Hog / Pig Saddles or the RRS Vyce are the best options out there, but for rifles with mounting points the RRS Plates blow away the Manfrotto RC-2 plates.

Weight is the key and not just the weight of the rifle you have to consider the shooter loading into the tripod too. Most of the tripods people use are rated for 15LBS or less. The RRS Tripods are rated for 50LBS, this matters. The Feisol legs have a great weight rating too, and the funny this is, you can get Manfrotto tripods to match, but then they cost as much as the RRS. By default everyone opted for cheaper camera tripods and because it worked to some degree, it just continued that way. Until the Camera people came around to educate us, we need more weight rating on our tripods to shoot effectively off of. It matters and it works, go for more in the legs and then mix and match the heads or mounting systems to fit your budget and needs.

We see a difference, you let people use the 15LBS rated Manfrotto and then we let them try the RRS and its immediately noticeable . Their accuracy increases as do the effective range.

Would your thoughts on the Feisol cb 70 ball head be the same as above? Is it worth using in a predator hunting set up with a good set of legs and arca plates?