• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

1.7" .22LR group @200 yards

ba_50

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2007
Illinois
There was a L&V wind quartering from the left. I must have put 4 rds instead of 5 Gold Medal rds in the clip/magazine. 1.7" isn't bad for a CZ452A LH with SS 10X scope. Thought it was worthwhile passing it on.

Re: 1.7" .22LR group @200 yards

Thanks. Makes me want to keep striving to get better. I only post the special, not the average ones. There is a thread on rimfirecentral going called long range rimfires under the Open Rimfire. Some shooter using a 64 with a Nightforce shot a 5 1" shot group at 200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ba_50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... 1.7" isn't bad for a CZ452A LH with SS 10X scope...</div></div>

Isn't bad? 1.7" is incredible. Great shooting.

Outstanding, no doubt about it! Well done!
smile.gif

I'll add that what I have noticed over at RFC, very few of their following understand 200 yard and beyond .22lr shooting. It's kind of like the nye sayers over there feel threatened somehow by those who shoot 200+ yards. A more non'confident group of folks I've never seen before. Your post at RFC was most refreashing to see. The nye sayers will no doubt show up and try to pick your post apart unfortunately. Just remember, those who do are not long range rimfire shooters.

Joe,

Not to change the subject but...

Sometimes I think the net is all about arguing with or trashing others. I've been called some pretty nasty stuff and ended up being the bad guy because they (and their buddies) think they know what's best, and can't tolerate anything different. Makes me want to get off the net, but haven't yet. I try too remember that saying: life is too short to be little.
I think the posters on RFC are mostly plinkers, and there isn't anything wrong with that. But if they buy a scope for $80-100, and it is clear, then it is automatically a great scope. No box tests required. There are a few people that really try to help other's or encourage rimfire shooting over there. (And they get bashed too.)

After shooting the .22 for awhile, I can pick up the 30/06, set in the come ups for 300 yards and shoot. Almost too easy.

Anyhow, it's nice to get some positive comments for a change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding, no doubt about it! Well done!
smile.gif

I'll add that what I have noticed over at RFC, very few of their following understand 200 yard and beyond .22lr shooting. It's kind of like the nye sayers over there feel threatened somehow by those who shoot 200+ yards. A more non'confident group of folks I've never seen before. Your post at RFC was most refreashing to see. The nye sayers will no doubt show up and try to pick your post apart unfortunately. Just remember, those who do are not long range rimfire shooters. </div></div>

ba_50, it's your thread and your topic to change. lol

I'm not going to bash RFC; I absolutely love that site, but I know what you mean. What I have to remind myself though, is that for the majority of the time the people doing the bashing are new shooters. They had recently gone out and bought their first rifle, and consequently think that there could be no better rifle out there than theirs. Top this with their first target where all of the shots were placed within the rings and you now have an expert shooter. There is no easy fix for the new shooter syndrome... just time. That said, I pick and choose what I post on all of the forums that I visit.

RFC does have some of the best rimfire shooters on-line but you sometimes have to sift through a bunch of chafe to find the gold nugget.
This kind of reminds me of Snipers Hide
grin.gif

Pat

There are plenty of cry babies, bed wetters, and keyboard cammondoes on RFC and Sniper Central forums. Once one finds the SH, there is no need to waste time on anything else. Period.

Excellent shooting btw.

I'm just glad we have the members here at SH that we do. There is so much knowledge here to draw from regarding long range rimfire.

I just shot the 200 yd comp in the rimfire section for the first time and was terribly humbled. My 25 shots fell into a group that was just under 6.5" for 25 rounds (226-4X). I didnt pay any attention to the wind and couldnt spot the hits, just mechanics. Very fun tho and cant wait to try it out next month, but with a little more attention paid to the wind. Very interesting shooting the lil ol 22 at range. I think everyone should try it. The 2 guys trying to clean the target are shooting quite amazingly (word?) and are only 2 or 3 pts shy of a clean 250 target. I hope to break 240 by the end of this summer.

Regards,
DT

D_Tros, That's pretty good for the first time.

I think SH has the best .22 forum, but I check Rimfire C fairly often. They got CZ interested in coming out with a match rifle or possibly combinations . I've written CZ for a few years now about it.

There are a lot of opinions out there and we have to try and separate fact and fiction.

I noticed someone on this forum shot a 1" 5 shot group @ 200 yards with a Savage. Darn. I'll have to get a group < then 1" now. Just kidding.

Great. In my LR rimfire shooting I have litte trouble getting sub MOA at 100 but on average, in good to very good cond, with good rifles and ammo, I tend toward 2 MOA at 200. 1.7" is great. Keep it up.
RTH

BA_50, how were you shooting when you shot the 200yd group? IE: bench, prone, with front and rear bags, without bags? Just curious.

I do most of my shooting from prone, with a bi-pod and some sort of rear rest (like a sock of air soft bb's).

Oh yeah, 1.7" @ 200yds with a .22LR is great shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BA_50, how were you shooting when you shot the 200yd group? IE: bench, prone, with front and rear bags, without bags? Just curious.

I do most of my shooting from prone, with a bi-pod and some sort of rear rest (like a sock of air soft bb's).

Oh yeah, 1.7" @ 200yds with a .22LR is great shooting! </div></div>

I use a big block of wood with a sand bag on top for the front and a bag with rabbit ears at the back. Nothing fancy, that's for sure.The bench is home made.

I have two coyote sillouettes, one all steel, and the other is plywood with steel vitals. I'm going to practice for coyotes for now. The other day I had a 5-10 mph wind from the right and was using the latter target at 150 yards. I could see a few bullets through the scope. Picture a circle with the target at the bottom of a circle. The bullet got to the top of it's arc then rolled to the right and followed the edge of the circle around and hit the target. I've seen .30 cal bullets arc into a LR target but this was really different.

I saw one coyote this morning looking around at around 500 yards but I couldn't take the shot, and even so this particular rifle isn't capable. Just scouting.