• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 1/8/24 atacr?

I'm pondering the same question myself, wanting a 1-8 scope with a mil reticle for a .308 gas gun. Top of my list is a Minox ZP8 or one of the NF options.

I really like the design of the ATACR reticle for shooting with holds, but the large center dot is something I can imagine not liking, a grievance some people have expressed. The Minox MR10+ reticle has a much finer center dot without the bulky ring around it as the design incorporates a SFP dot at lower power. I have no first hand experience with any of the optics and can only parrot what I've read in reviews. Deciding between the two is proving to be a tough decision.

I have read that the eye box on the Minox is tricky at 8X, but it's 1X performance is great; without anyone having done a side-by-side comparison with the NF I have no clue if it's better or worse. Given the design and construction challenges of high magnification ratio scopes I have to image that there are performance standards within this category that would be considered good for a 1-8X, but sub-par for other types of optics. Reviews with a sample size of one aren't terribly informative.... The 1-8X market has grown to the point where someone really should do a big comparison of all the options.

I am sort of leaning towards a ZP8 if I can find one used for a good price, I prefer the finer center dot, turret design, and lack of gaudy logos and scalping that look like some goth kids spiked collar. However, the loyal following that NF products have means resale will be easy, and with big money optics I always consider how liquid an asset will be when purchasing. If I had (could afford) to buy new, I'd probably lean towards the NigthForce as to not take as big of a hit if I decide to sell it.

Other than the Minox, a S&B or a CQBSS would really be the only competition for the ATACR 1-8. IMO the S&B reticle options aren't compelling and the price is even harder to swallow. The CQBSS is just insanely expensive but the Horus reticle is great if you want that; I feel like there is a $1000 'Operators use it' premium on the optic.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical