• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 1/8 MOA dot at 1000yds?

MDM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Ohio
I'm in the process of building my first long range gun. It is a 6BR on a Savage action and 28" McGowen barrel. I have a Weaver T24 scope with the 1/8" dot I was planning on using until I can afford something else.

My question is, is this scope even useable at 1000yds? 600yds? How much will a 1/8" dot cover up a these distances? I hope I'm wrong, but I'm figuring it will cover 64" at 1000yds? and 4" 600yds? I just figured the coverage area doubled every 100 yds. If this is the case, I'm SOL.

Re: 1/8 MOA dot at 1000yds?

Is the dot MOA or inches? You list both. They are not the same.

Yes, I know this, it's moa. The adjustments are 1/8 moa too. The more I think about it, I think I'm way off. My logic would mean that 1 click would move POI 64 MOA at 1000. I'm guessing its more like 1.3 moa now.

Whether 1/8MOA or 1/8", your math is incorrect. 1/8 MOA is ROUGHLY .75" @ 600 and 1.25" @ 1000 yards. I don' think you will be SOL.

Just wasn't sure if you did as you listed both in your posts like they were interchangable.

If it moves 1/8 MOA per click then that is what it moves. Not 1.3 MOA. If you want to figure it in inches then, 1 MOA at 1000 yards is 10.47" so the dot would be 1/8 that size and the adjustments would move it 1/8 that amount also per click. It would be about 1.3". Not MOA. 1.3 MOA would be about 13.6".

1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yards
1 MOA = 10.47" at 1000 yards

1/8 MOA at 1000 yards = 1.309"
1/8 MOA at 600 yards = 0.785"

Your dot is small enough for the task.
wink.gif

(matchking and Rob beat me to the answer while I was monkeying with my calculator)

Thanks. I figured it out. Wow, that was a hell of a first post and a major brain fart on my account. Embarassing to say the least.

I shoot, when using a scope for LR, a .2 MOA dotted crosshair reticle. This is too small even though alternatives are not, it appears to me, any better. I can't imagine an 1/8th MOA dot at LR.

I have the first 1000 yd. target I shot a perfect score on hanging at the top of a very high wall in my living room. For you sir I just climbed a step ladder and measured the "x." This is an official NRA 1000 yard prone target; the X is about 1.990" x 1.990" or for all practical purposes 2" square.

Your good to go with your 1/8 dot. (I like to see but not totally be covering the the x with my crosshair)

Welcome aboard!
T

I agree with Charles, but probably for different reasons.

I dislike aiming systems which depend on a precise intersection/dot being held within a featureless 'zone'. There is a degree of indistinctness about such relationships which I firmly believe adds subconsciously to dispersion.

I prefer more precision and resolution in my own sighting pictures.

I use an 'offset' aiming process with allows the shooter more precision and resolution when establishing the reticle/target/aimpoint relationship.

I align the crosshairs with the entire black/white interface of the bull. The relationship places the wires of the crosshair exactly with the side and either top or bottom edge of the bull, so the reticle wires are exactly at tangents to the bulls-eye edges. This places the intersection of the crosshairs outside the boundary of the bull, but also permits a precision and resolution that takes advantage of the extreme limits of visibility.

All that remain to be done is to walk the impacts into the center of the bull, adjusting elevation and windage so the offset hold results in a perfect center pinwheel impact.

For the purposes of this exercise, ultra fine dots or wires are not necessary and more clearly visible reticle wires are actually of benefit.

Also, I strongly suggest you look into the 6BRX chambering. It uses the same base case and dies; but allows for additional powder capacity. Shooters use it in our FV200 matches and they tend to dominate; but if a 6BR is good at 1Kyd, I suspect the 6BRX may be somewhat better still.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the first 1000 yd. target I shot a perfect score on hanging at the top of a very high wall in my living room. For you sir I just climbed a step ladder and measured the "x." This is an official NRA 1000 yard prone target; the X is about 1.990" x 1.990" or for all practical purposes 2" square.

Your good to go with your 1/8 dot. (I like to see but not totally be covering the the x with my crosshair)

Welcome aboar

</div></div>

The NRA LR target has a 10 inch X ring. Of course, with enough power you could resolve the X mark, however, this kind of power is a distraction to the shooter just getting into LR as it causes too much concern for the target/reticle relationship. Without any bulleseye at all, and without much magnification, the eye will still naturally find the exact center of the target, making any reticle, which is not too small itself or cluttered, good for the task.

With the Navy, I shot a McMillan 300WM with a Leupold M1A Ultra 16x with 1/8moa dot. I remember when USAMU was shooting the 300WMs, before they went NF, they had Weaver T16s or T24s. You will find yourself swimming in mirage on sunny days with a 24x, so a barrel band will be nearly a necessity. If you are at all prone to motion sickness, the extra magnification will not do your stomach any faavors. I've seen more than a couple guys lose lunch from watching the dot move with their heartbeat.

Might want to see how much erector travel you have available in that T24. I suspect that will be more the issue, but if you get it sloped up with a base or Burris signature rings it will probably have enough to get you there. Figure you'll probably need somewhere between 30-40 moa depending on load, and atmo conditions.

I should have 60" of adjustment according to Weaver. I know there are much better scopes suited for the task, but I will have to make due with what I've got for now. I will never be able to afford a NF. Thanks for all the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the first 1000 yd. target I shot a perfect score on hanging at the top of a very high wall in my living room. For you sir I just climbed a step ladder and measured the "x." This is an official NRA 1000 yard prone target; the X is about 1.990" x 1.990" or for all practical purposes 2" square.

Welcome aboar

</div></div>

The NRA LR target has a 10 inch X ring. Of course, with enough power you could resolve the X mark, however, this kind of power is a distraction to the shooter just getting into LR as it causes too much concern for the target/reticle relationship. Without any bulleseye at all, and without much magnification, the eye will still naturally find the exact center of the target, making any reticle, which is not too small itself or cluttered, good for the task. </div></div>

Sterling, I like how you think, however I feel a well read new shooter (he's asking questions here) has the capacity to go ahead and start learning how and when to hold on the safe side of the X ring, the safe side of the 10, or even pull on out into the nine, right from the start of his LR career. This is easier seen & learned at 24X magnification. Plus it nullifies the need for a spotting scope. - all these my opinion...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Everybody:</span> Yes while shooting a match with a higher magnification scope you will get significant target distortion from the mirage/heat waves coming off your barrel as you look through the scope. This is easily fixed, for "free."

Sure you can buy a barrel mirage shield. But what I do is go to my local Lowe's Home center. They have "cut to length" vertical venetian blinds for sliding glass doors. The ends they cut off for the customer are of no use (to most) and are discarded in the trash. Drop by and ask for a few of these and they'll give you all you want. They are perfect and work great. Trim to length so it covers from near your scope base to the muzzle. sticky velcro dots on the plastic, as well as your barrel and your set up just as good as "store bought."

Whether you buy from a shooting supply or make your own as i did, here is what it will look like:

images

This photo is from the Sinclair International website and they'd be tickled to sell you one.

Edit: see them on Hide member SREID87's photo here:
url]
[/img]

I had that same Weaver T24, and that dot is absolutely tiny! at 1000yrds it would only cover an inch or so. The exit pupil on that scope is also very small, so you need to be lined up perfect just to see through it. It tracked very well, and mine had good glass in it. Benchrest shooters love the T series Weavers, but I like my VXIII LR better.

Hi your scope will work perfectly. i used to use 2 Weaver T36 scopes for all of my F Class Open shooting, they have 60moa elevation in them on a 20 MOA base you are good to go i know a guy that has used a T24 to 1200 yards on a 6mmBR with 107's at 2850. We also have a club training rifle in 223 that we shoot from 300-1000 yards it has a T24 on it and it is the best scope for the money that fits that use it tracks perfectly and is easy for new shooters to get the hang off. Just use it and learn to thoot at range down the track see what you like and buy that. I would not use it as a tacticle scope you would smash it in 5 minuites but for a pure target scope great and reliable tracking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the first 1000 yd. target I shot a perfect score on hanging at the top of a very high wall in my living room. For you sir I just climbed a step ladder and measured the "x." This is an official NRA 1000 yard prone target; the X is about 1.990" x 1.990" or for all practical purposes 2" square.

Welcome aboar

</div></div>

The NRA LR target has a 10 inch X ring. Of course, with enough power you could resolve the X mark, however, this kind of power is a distraction to the shooter just getting into LR as it causes too much concern for the target/reticle relationship. Without any bulleseye at all, and without much magnification, the eye will still naturally find the exact center of the target, making any reticle, which is not too small itself or cluttered, good for the task. </div></div>

Sterling, I like how you think, however I feel a well read new shooter (he's asking questions here) has the capacity to go ahead and start learning how and when to hold on the safe side of the X ring, the safe side of the 10, or even pull on out into the nine, right from the start of his LR career. This is easier seen & learned at 24X magnification. Plus it nullifies the need for a spotting scope. - all these my opinion...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Everybody:</span> Yes while shooting a match with a higher magnification scope you will get significant target distortion from the mirage/heat waves coming off your barrel as you look through the scope. This is easily fixed, for "free."

Sure you can buy a barrel mirage shield. But what I do is go to my local Lowe's Home center. They have "cut to length" vertical venetian blinds for sliding glass doors. The ends they cut off for the customer are of no use (to most) and are discarded in the trash. Drop by and ask for a few of these and they'll give you all you want. They are perfect and work great. Trim to length so it covers from near your scope base to the muzzle. sticky velcro dots on the plastic, as well as your barrel and your set up just as good as "store bought."

Whether you buy from a shooting supply or make your own as i did, here is what it will look like:

images

This photo is from the Sinclair International website and they'd be tickled to sell you one.

Edit: see them on Hide member SREID87's photo here:
url]
[/img]
</div></div>

Indeed, I'd rather favor with a scope than with irons and the more magnification the better the favor can be resolved. I shoot Service Rifle LR so favoring is not what I do. Instead, I'll click, or better yet, just get a pinwheel X zero for the prevailing wind, and hold fire for that condition. Gee, this stuff is fun isn't it?