• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

10/22 feeding in cold weather

darth_ritis

money hater
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I know it's common for the 10/22 to have feeding issues in cold weather, especially with lubed subsonic match ammo. I happen to have a Kidd bolt handle kit with different springs in my 10/22. This weekend's match is expecting a bit of winter, and I really want to use my 10/22. Which spring would help with feeding these rounds in cold weather? 10% lighter? 10% heavier?

I know people have had issues with the lube on the bullets gumming up there barrels and cause accucarcy issues. You may have the lube gumming up the chamber and case not extracting as easily as they should. I remember hearing about the long range shooter of Utah guys having issues with this and most of them swapped from one ammo to another but I don’t recall from what to what.

No idea if it would help and it certainly won't help on short notice but has your bolt been radiussed? Not much cold weather experience but reduced weight may make the reciprocating mass a little more positive when you are shooting near the edge of reliability-Norcal911

I'd say go with a lighter spring. I run Eley Edge on a standard Ruger bolt/spring and my rifle starts stove piping below 30F. Accruacy is still good but 20-30% of the rounds have that weak ejection. Shot this group at 100m the other day at 32F, no problems.
    28167689_1433420130096478_7314288923272992550_n.jpg

Last edited: