• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

10/22T upgrade options...

ECHO4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2007
Pgh, PA
I hear that Randy at CPC does great work on 10/22's I'd be looking to get the full tuneup package he has for the 10/22T which will run me about $216 w/shipping. I'm torn between that or SLOWLY saving my money and doing upgrades using Kid products. I'm not a match shooter. Just looking to upgrade my accuracy.

Re: 10/22T upgrade options...

Randy did the full tune up on my 10/22 race rifle. Worth every penny, IMHO.

IMGP1571.jpg

I'm not a match shooter either, but 10 shots at 50 yards looks like this:

IMGP1178.jpg

I went the other way.

I sent randy my bolt for him to work his magic. I polished the inside of the receiver so its nice and smoothe. I picked up a kidd barrel and a Kidd Trigger (The best .....) If anything get the trigger. Found a stock I liked. Bedded it and i was done. and I can shoot Nickle to quarter size 10 shot groups at 50.00 If I do my part.

Rescue, could you go into some detail regarding smoothing out the receiver. I'm looking to improve my 10/22 and right now am on a major budget. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECHO4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear that Randy at CPC does great work on 10/22's I'd be looking to get the full tuneup package he has for the 10/22T which will run me about $216 w/shipping. I'm torn between that or SLOWLY saving my money and doing upgrades using Kid products. I'm not a match shooter. Just looking to upgrade my accuracy. </div></div>
Not doubt Randy at CPC does great work on 10/22s - I think you'll be happy if you have him do the full tuneup on your 10/22T. I built the 10/22 below using all high-end aftermarket parts and since I wanted to free-float the barrel I went with an MOA Receiver.

I had Randy re-cut the chamber end of a 20" SS Kidd barrel, thread it 3/4-16, and mate it to the MOA receiver. My McMillan Sporter stock is inletted for the rear lug of the MOA Receiver, providing proper support for the free-floting barrel. There is more to it than that but those are the main points.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 10/22 17-4 SS Receiver, Kidd SS barrel, VQ CNC Bolt & CS Spring, Power Custom SS Guide, EGW 20 MOA Rail, Leupold 4.5-14X 40mm A.O., PRW Low Rings, McMillan Sporter:</span>
MOA1022EGWBaseRight8x6.jpg

The groups below were shot using Winchester Super-X T22 40gr. I actually ran out of "Down" adjustment with my Leupold 4.5-14X 40mm A.O. and EGW 20 MOA base, which is why the group is about 1 MIL high.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 10/22 100 yard 10-shot group shot with Winchester Super-X T22 40gr. Bipod & rear bag:</span>
MOA1022100YardGroupCU8x6.jpg

MOA1022100YardGroup8x6.jpg

I'm hoping that bedding the action-only will allow me to put everything through one hole at 100 yards, (although the "flyers" at 4 and 5 O'Clock were my fault).

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 10/22 200 Yard, 7-shot group shot with Winchester Super-X T22 40gr.:</span>
200Yard2257-ShotGroup.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Liar!

Looks more like 3/4 minute. </div></div>

Ummm, you do know that by MOA he means the brand of the aftermarket receiver right?

Very nice Keith, you're starting to get me jonesing for the 10/22 I got rid of last year....

Well, I went to the range today w/the stock 10/22T. Using CCI mini-mags at 50yds, I was able to hold a nickle sized group w/an occasional flyer due to shooter error. My stock 10 rd mag sucked balls though. It seemed as if the spring in the mag would not feed the rounds into the gun. If I put more than 3 rounds in the mag, it would shit the bed. Any suggestions other than to toss it in the dumpster and get a new mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, what trigger are you running? </div></div>
A <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kidd Two-Stage</span></span>, of course. Mine is set to 1 lb./8 oz. (1 lb. First Stage, 8 oz. Second Stage).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd Two-Stage Trigger in natural Silver w/Curved trigger blade and "Sportsman" magazine release:</span>
KIDDTARS28x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rescue, could you go into some detail regarding smoothing out the receiver. I'm looking to improve my 10/22 and right now am on a major budget. Thanks </div></div>

I duracoated my receiver so you may want to modify this to protect your finish, but the inside of my receiver was nasty with paint and pretty rough from the factory.

Use really really good painters tape and tape off the sides and top of the receiver.

I went and picked up some aircraft paint stripper in a can. Sprayed the inside of the receiver and followed the directions. Did this 2x and the inside was paintless. cleaned it out with some acetone.

Then fired up the dremel wand" Picked up some heavy metal buffing polish and went to town on it for about an hour or so. When i was finished it was nice and shiny like it was chrome plated.

Got my self the dampening buffer, My bolt back from CPC, Kidd Trigger and barrel.

With the inside polished there was no grit or grind. It was super smooth cycling with no issues.

I'm not sure if other 10/22 receivers were as bad as mine but when I would cycle the bolt it felt like there was sand inside it.

IMG_2333.jpg

thank you, that is exactly how mine felt like i was running over sand, and paint on the inside pealing every where. you gave me a good way to go. thank you.

I believe the 10/22T is plenty accurate as is, with the right ammo. At least mine is, with Wolf ME.
I suggest you trying different ammo, since your 10/22T might be already as accurate as you wish, and you can save your budget for a few thousands rounds of training.
Consider that my 10/22T, which shoots one ragged hole ten rounds groups at 50 yards with the right ammo, can shoot as bad as 3" groups in the same conditions, with the wrong ammo.
The 10/22 are VERY finicky about ammo in my experience.

I did the Kidd stuff yes it did cost more but it was worth every cent. I also polished the inside of the receiver with 1500 grit. Everything cycled better after that (I did that before I got the Kidd stuff). This is my best 10 shot group at 50 yards to date.

288qty1.jpg

No wind I also have the 6oz trigger 3oz the 1st stage 3oz for the 2nd.