• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

100 yard practice work for ELR

FlaShooterG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
All,
New to the forum. I am heading to Denver to try long range shooting with a RPR in 6.5 creedmore. While I should be able to easily shoot out to over 1000 (space wise) in Colorado, the longest I can go here is 100 yards. I have a great interest in trying long range shooting and am looking forward to Co. I know there is no substitute for practicing at the distance you intend to shoot for really meaningful training. From everything I have read here and elsewhere, the thing that is most difficult is the development of bad habits. To develop good ones, I am looking to purchase a 100 yard training rifle i can shoot here in Fl. My question is;

What caliber should I select?

While I know that weapon brand preferences are very subjective and personal, are there any recommendations on a purchase for the task?

What scope should I couple to the rifle?

Thanks so much for your time and opinion.

Triple,
Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't say what I was planning to do with the 6.5. I am planning on leaving the 6.5 in Co at my daughter's house and buying another rifle to train with.

If you can only shoot at 100 for now, I'd practice:

- Grouping to confirm zero, but then focusing more on dot drills as well as first round hits. This can be as easy as putting a sticker somewhere on your target area and making sure you hit it.

- Figure out what your cold bore shot does

- Get into prone (or whatever position) shoot 2 rounds, break position, move rifle to the side a little, get back on the rifle, shoot 2 more, do it again, shoot 2 more, etc. Then slow it down to figure out whats going wrong or what corners you're cutting.

- Shoot off a tripod in everything from low seated, to kneeling to standing position.

All,
New to the forum. I am heading to Denver to try long range shooting with a RPR in 6.5 creedmore. While I should be able to easily shoot out to over 1000 (space wise) in Colorado, the longest I can go here is 100 yards. I have a great interest in trying long range shooting and am looking forward to Co. I know there is no substitute for practicing at the distance you intend to shoot for really meaningful training. From everything I have read here and elsewhere, the thing that is most difficult is the development of bad habits. To develop good ones, I am looking to purchase a 100 yard training rifle i can shoot here in Fl. My question is;

What caliber should I select?

While I know that weapon brand preferences are very subjective and personal, are there any recommendations on a purchase for the task?

What scope should I couple to the rifle?

Thanks so much for your time and opinion.

I think Ruger is coming out with a .22 rpr; that would be the perfect Trainer for you to keep familiarity with your platform, and also give you some practice on wind calls for a hundred yard range. Maybe consider getting a scope with the same eye relief and ring height to keep it as close as possible to your other rig. You shouldn’t need as high a magnification on your trainer either.

Here's a target I made for 100-yard practice. The dots are 1/4" and the grid lines are 9.1millimeters. 9 millimeters is .10 milliradian at 100 yards, so one click if you've got .1mill clicks on your scope, makes it handy for zeroing the rifle.

Attachments

• Challange target.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
http://www.volusiacountygunclub.com/index.php

As already mentioned, there are multiple 1000 yard ranges available here in Florida. Best I can remember, there are at least 6 right now. This coming Wednesday and 2 times every month, we hold a Long Range "practice and qualification" event at VCGHC wherein anybody who registers ahead of time and pays, can come shoot and gather dope up to 1000 yards. Occasionally 1200 yards. Our regularly accessible member range is out to 300 meters (328 yards). We also hold precision field rifle matches almost every month. Check out the calendar. We get a number of guys from the south Florida area that come up and shoot.

All,
Thanks for your input regarding longer ranges. Time is an issue for me. The range I shoot at is about 20 minutes away from my house. These others (while very nice) are quite a bit further away. As I said in my original post, I am looking for a rifle to shoot at 100 yards that will help me in practice for going to Colorado and shooting with my son. Thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate it. If i get some free time, i will investigate these other ranges as well!

Here's a target I made for 100-yard practice. The dots are 1/4" and the grid lines are 9.1millimeters. 9 millimeters is .10 milliradian at 100 yards, so one click if you've got .1mill clicks on your scope, makes it handy for zeroing the rifle.
Thanks so much for your input. Tacticalprecisionrimfire.com also has some really cool targets they shared with me.

I shoot at 100 yards and go straight to 2000+ and it works fine for me. Good for technique as minimal wind variances. That said you have no wind calling experience at 100 yards. After a couple times at distance you will have some dope to fine tune from.
I use .700" dots on target

I shoot at 100 yards and go straight to 2000+ and it works fine for me. Good for technique as minimal wind variances. That said you have no wind calling experience at 100 yards. After a couple times at distance you will have some dope to fine tune from.
I use .700" dots on target
Thanks for the scoop. What caliber are you shooting at 2000+?

You can have 1/4 moa group at 100 yards with 30+ fps ES. , it won't translate to accuracy at small 1000 yards target and beyond.

Practice the fundamental of trigger control, breathing, sight picture, body alignment, follow through, loading bipod, recoil management at 100 yards. When you going to do 1000 yards +, bring someone who had experiement to guide you through.

Reactions: FlaShooterG
Amazing amounts of information. Really valuable stuff. Going back to my original question, what caliber for 100 yard shooting is best? 22, 223, 5.56, ???? Let me rephrase that ... What caliber is challenging at 100 yards that would mimic the 6.5 at 1000? What scope do I put on it?

.22 is your answer. Though it is more challenging at 200 and 300 yards. At 1000 yards, you may want to try a pellet rifle to mimic 100 yards. Even 100 yards with a .22 is not hard.

So, your best answer may be to shoot at very small dots at 100 yards with a .22.

But truly, as mentioned above, your dry fire practice will give you a good benefit and try learning wind by shooting the .22 during windy days.

That having been said, there are a whole pile of guys that shoot 6.5 creed and other long range cartridges here in Florida. If you can spare the time to fly to Colorado to shoot, you can spare a day to come shoot at one of the good long ranges available here in Florida.

I swear, sometimes people make things way more complicated than they need to be.

I think he wants to shoot with his son when he's in Colorado. And would like to practice at home nearby where he has less discretionary time.
Jefe,
You are exactly correct. My apologies if I confused anyone. The 6.5 is going to go to Colorado with me on our next vacation (hopefully soon) and remaining out there. We get out there once or twice a year. I am sure my son will try it when I am not there, and that is part of the reason I am leaving it. He has a 5.56 and I am hoping that leaving the 6.5 may pique his interest in another form of shooting. I don't mind him using it. We could then both go long range shooting in addition to short range stuff with his weapon. If I had more time, I would love to try longer range as sea level. My problem is I have a business that takes nearly all of my time and a wife for what free time is left.

As has been suggested, I have been practicing trigger control,breathing, body alignment, etc. This is excellent advice. I have been getting smoother and I wholly believe my groups are smaller because of it.

I have been researching smaller calibers for the short range I have been meaning to discuss as a practice rifle. I believe CZ has one that comes with interchangeable barrels in 22lr and .17. Thinking that should give me a challenge similar to the 6.5 in Denver. Is my thinking down the right path? Guess I am showing my ignorance.

For sure, .223 is a good training option in terms of cost efficiency for a decent rifle and for ammo. On the other hand, you can get good 6.5CM rifles very affordably now, so if you handload, the ammo cost isn't too bad. If you do travel to the Florida 1000 yard ranges every now and then, .223 will be more of a challenge than 6.5CM.

Based on his stated interest to stay local at the 100 yard range, even .22 will not emulate 1000 yard shooting with the 6.5. .223 isn't even a consideration for him in this case.

This is a tough question to answer. The .17 HMR is going twice as fast as a .22 LR. Based upon what I think your stated goal is, you will likely be best served with a quality .22 and very small targets at 100 yards. I know that I just previously said that it won't emulate 6.5 at 1000 yards, but then I don't know what will.

So you best bet would be to choose the small caliber that makes you happiest and challenge yourself with tough targets. In the end, the discipline of practice and the trigger time will be your best training tools.

I honestly don't know if there is a better answer than that. Good luck and good shooting!

This is a tough question to answer. The .17 HMR is going twice as fast as a .22 LR. Based upon what I think your stated goal is, you will likely be best served with a quality .22 and very small targets at 100 yards. I know that I just previously said that it won't emulate 6.5 at 1000 yards, but then I don't know what will.

So you best bet would be to choose the small caliber that makes you happiest and challenge yourself with tough targets. In the end, the discipline of practice and the trigger time will be your best training tools.

I honestly don't know if there is a better answer than that. Good luck and good shooting!
Great advice. Thank you so much for your time and help. If I get a chance, I will certainly try to make it to Volusia or one of the other longer ranges.

I really prefer the .223 for training, it’s cheap to shoot, good barrel life, but still has the same feel of a larger caliber rifle. I’ve had a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223 for awhile and it’s been an excellent rifle for training. I’m currently selling since I got a custom .223 that is closer to my main rifles specs. Also the .223 can be a lot of fun at extended ranges as well, with the right pills it’s very capable out to 800 yards and further.